• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • killborn

Jun 24, 2013
    Crownsville, MD
    So wife had me go to the mall to return some clothes and I made it home with a new double oven.. still not sure why.
    Looking at estimates from a licensed contractor to pull the current oven (yet to figure out where that goes) and install the new double oven. Thing weighs about 300lbs.
    If it's too big of a job I may hold onto it for a few months and do new cabinets also.. Anybody on here able to recommend someone reliable?

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Pulling the current oven out and putting the new one in is pretty much straight forward provided they are the same dimensions (you hope!)

First turn off the breaker. The oven's electrics should also be individually marked since its higher voltage so its easy to find and turn off. Open the door to the oven, find the breaker you think is it and turn it off. If the oven light goes dark, you got it.

Then remove oven doors. They are under a lot of tension to help them lift up so there should be a stopper of some sort on each door arm to lock it open so you can wiggle the actual door out.

Next there should be some small screws (<1/2") going around the sides of the oven doors into the cabinet and on the very top and bottom. Take all those out and slide that sucker out. The electrics is most likely a power box with some wire nuts inside or if your house is older like mine, free hanging with wire nuts :mad54:

Have something sturdy to set the oven on as you don't want dimples/scratches in whatever floor surface you have and then cart it out the way to make room for the new oven. Do these steps in reverse and you are all done.

Now if the issue is actually lifting a 300lb device in and out of the cabinet then find a buddy and buy them a beer. Process should not take longer than an hour. I paid for the delivery tech to help install mine simply because I couldn't find anyone I knew who would be available to help lift that sucker. Took us less than 20 minutes to pop the old one out and new one in.

killborn

Jun 24, 2013
    Crownsville, MD
    Thanks for the write up and advice. Yep, am sure it is possible to do, just hard to manage considering the weight etc, so a buddy it will have to be. Hoping that it will fit with little cabinet mods. Thanks again.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Thanks for the write up and advice. Yep, am sure it is possible to do, just hard to manage considering the weight etc, so a buddy it will have to be. Hoping that it will fit with little cabinet mods. Thanks again.

Weight should be your only enemy so long as you measure twice and cut once. And don't forget that breaker! :thumbsup:

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    This might not be so easy in every case. Two experienced professional installers who do this day in, day out took hours to replace mine, which was just a newer version of the exact same GE Profile model. The inside dimensions and flanges were different. Had to modify the cabinetry, re-route the electric line in the back, and remove and reinstall it when it didn't fit flush the first time. Those things have sharp metal edges, too, and you can slice yourself up pretty well.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So wife had me go to the mall to return some clothes and I made it home with a new double oven.. still not sure why.
    Looking at estimates from a licensed contractor to pull the current oven (yet to figure out where that goes) and install the new double oven. Thing weighs about 300lbs.
    If it's too big of a job I may hold onto it for a few months and do new cabinets also.. Anybody on here able to recommend someone reliable?

Nope, nobody at all......:innocent0

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i'm nothing special and replaced our micro/oven combo with a double oven all by my lonesome. had to cut approx 1/4" around the cabinet perimeter with a jigsaw for it to fit. wiring is a piece of cake. you can do it, especially with a buddy helping. tape up the face of the new one real good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom