• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I had done some hunting in my teens when I lived in PA were the first day of Buck was a school holiday but when we moved to Laurel MD that changed as most of my school mates thought I was talking about killing Bamba. Even then I checked with some sporting goods store but they said there was no rifle hunting outside of western part of the state.

Fast forward 20 years and I was looking though my Amazon Prime video library looking for something to watch and a show called sons of guns caught my attention. So I watched session 1 I found the show kinda funny and a bit over the top and fake in many places but it brought out the desire to go out and shot some.

I started looking around and see what the costs where and found the range OnTarget was only 5 min from my house and there range time didn't look that badly priced and they rented hand guns for just 10 bucks a time. I figure they make there money in over priced ammo but it also looks like a good way to try out several diff handguns before I decide what I want to buy. I have a list of handguns I want to try although some are pretty much the same gun just in the 9mm / 40 Cal versions my plan is to try both the Glock 17 and 22 to get a fell for if I prefer 9mm or .40 Cal. Then based on the one's I like better I will try that list out although a frend has me 90% talked into tring the Springfield XD 45 that he loves. So blow is my list of guns I am thinking about tring.

9mm:
    Glock 17
    Sig Sauer P250
    Sig Sauer P226
    Smith & Wesson M&P

.40 Cal:
    Glock 22
    Sig Sauer P226
    Smith & Wesson M&P

.45 Cal:
    Springfield XD 45
    Sig Sauer P220

.22 Cal:
    Walther 22 Removed after seeing some youtube video's on it.

Realistically how many guns can I try in a hour at the range. Time is limited to 1:00 hour in the training class although I will likely go back a few more times to try better narrow down my choices some more. Anything I should read about and/or bring when going to the range for the first time?

Thanks
    Robert

PS. This list of guns keeps growing.

Last edited:

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HOW to APPLY for a MARYLAND Carry Permit[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][/FONT]

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 121

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I have actually been on the MSI mailing list for a few Years now. Just because I wasn't a shotter doesn't mean I haven't been a supporter of those who do shot.

Thanks
    Robert

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I feel like this thread is speaking to me.

hello

I just wish there had been a date sooner then Mid-October. I already have several handgun that look nice and the ps90 looks like a sweet gun to me. Just going to take a few years to have the cash for all I want.

Thanks
    Robert

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Are you just getting in to shooting handguns? 9mm is going to be MUCH cheaper to get trigger time on than 40 or 45, without giving up much defensively with good ammo. It'll have less recoil and higher capacity(often double the capacity of the 45's).

In 9mm, here are some gooduns to try:

beretta: 92fs/ m9a1
    glock: g19, g17, g34

S&W: m&p, m&p pro(it's a longslide version) If you get the m&p, get an apex dcaek and RAM It makes the m&p a completely new gun....in a good way.

Sig: 226, 229....250's suck.

CZ: cz-75bd, cz-75 sp-01 tactical

fnh: fns-9, fnx-9

hk: usp, p30

**************walther: ppq, p99AS************

-severn rob

Last edited:

Spoon2337

Semper Fi
    Sep 10, 2012
    Ellicott City
    It's older but I do love my S&W 459! Oh welcome btw! I go to on target all the time. Actually goin there tomorrow (9/17/12) at 1300! Gotta make room for my next shipment of ammo coming in the next week lol. Hope to see u out there some time!
    Oorah

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    On Target will let you swap out guns within a caliber for no additional charge. Change calibers and it's another rental charge and a new bx of ammo.

Some guns you will pick up and put back down. The ergonomics are an individual thing. But you've listed some good ones.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    On Target will let you swap out guns within a caliber for no additional charge. Change calibers and it's another rental charge and a new bx of ammo.

Some guns you will pick up and put back down. The ergonomics are an individual thing. But you've listed some good ones.

I figured it would be a new box of ammo. I guess I will need to pay an additional 10 buckets to try out both Calibers. Don't want to buy a gun and then find out I need to replace it because I want something else.

Thanks
    Robert

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    Are you just getting in to shooting handguns? 9mm is going to be MUCH cheaper to get trigger time on than 40 or 45, without giving up much defensively with good ammo. It'll have less recoil and higher capacity(often double the capacity of the 45's).

In 9mm, here are some gooduns to try:

beretta: 92fs/ m9a1
    glock: g19, g17, g34

S&W: m&p, m&p pro(it's a longslide version) If you get the m&p, get an apex dcaek and RAM It makes the m&p a completely new gun....in a good way.

Sig: 226, 229....250's suck.

CZ: cz-75bd, cz-75 sp-01 tactical

fnh: fns-9, fnx-9

hk: usp, p30

**************walther: ppq, p99AS************

-severn rob

Well I will likely go with the 9mm but some people really seem to prefer the .40 Cal's since I am renting and not buying tiring a bunch of diff handguns make the most since although it does turn out you have to pay for each Cal of handgun so I will likely drop the 45's off the list.

Also the list of weapons on the site doesn't include most of the guns you listed. Although I might print out that list just in case.

Thanks
    Robert

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    1st time shoting a handgun.

I ended going to freestate to take a basic shooting course to make sure I started out on the right foot. Attached are scan's of my 1st and 2nd Targets from my 1st time out shotting. These were done using a Ruger 22. I still think this is an ugly gun but shotting it wasn't bad at all but I found the kick on an handgun to be much higher then a long gun. Not sure I want to try a 40 / 45 any more.

Thanks
    Robert

Attachments

• 1st Target 1st batch shoting.jpg
      1st Target 1st batch shoting.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 49
    • 1st Target 2nd batch shoting.jpg
      1st Target 2nd batch shoting.jpg
      59.4 KB · Views: 54

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads