• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sar82007

Apr 6, 2013
    People's Republic of MD
    My friend didn't have a credit card to buy a firearm from an on-line retailer. We're also both legally allowed to own firearms. So I bought it for him and had it shipped to the local FFL and he filed the 4473 in his name. Short story he got into a situation where the police are doing a trace. I am sure my name will come up in there somewhere. Should I expect a visit from the BATF?

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    You might get a few questions, but I don't see how you did anything illegal from a BATFE perspective. Now could you be considered an accessory/contributing/etc. to whatever crime was committed? I don't have any idea.

IANAL though so the above is nothing more than an opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sar82007

Apr 6, 2013
    People's Republic of MD
    Yes Z28 we're both legally allowed to own. I have done my fair share of 4473s I was just helping him build his collection. Even if I am in no wrong doing. I do not believe I should be talking to them without an attorney.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    It seems like the gun legally belonged to your friend all along. What would look really bad is if you had possession of it. Next time tell him to get a prepaid debit card.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Yes Z28 we're both legally allowed to own. I have done my fair share of 4473s I was just helping him build his collection. Even if I am in no wrong doing. I do not believe I should be talking to them without an attorney.

No problem here and no need for an attorney at this point. The FFL was responsible for doing the required checks on the buyer before releasing the firearm, and you had nothing to do with that. If asked by law enforcement, be honest with them and relax. They have no issue with you. I have a friend in MD who is an attorney and a gun rights advocate and gun owner, if you feel the need for a referral. He's good and has testified for us 2A folks in Annapolis.

Lew--Ranger63

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    You're fine. He bought the gun, he did the paperwork, and he is the end user. How he got his money to the online retailer to pay for the gun is irrelevant. The online retailer, being an FFL, logged it out to the local dealer, not to either of you.

sar82007

Apr 6, 2013
    People's Republic of MD
    You're fine. He bought the gun, he did the paperwork, and he is the end user. How he got his money to the online retailer to pay for the gun is irrelevant. The online retailer, being an FFL, logged it out to the local dealer, not to either of you.

That is good to know. Well that is relieving.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Talk to an attorney. Do not post anything further here.

A couple of years some guy got pinched for purchasing through the Glock LE program and having the handgun transferred to his relative at a FFL. The thing went up to the supreme court, iirc the ATF prevailed with their claim that it was a straw-purchase as it was clear at the time the transaction was made that he would not be the final recipient.

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/209468-supreme-court-rejects-straw-gun-buys

As you didn't fill out any transfer forms, you should be ok, but you may be in serious trouble. No comments to LE without your attorney present.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Talk to an attorney. Do not post anything further here.

A couple of years some guy got pinched for purchasing through the Glock LE program and having the handgun transferred to his relative at a FFL. The thing went up to the supreme court, iirc the ATF prevailed with their claim that it was a straw-purchase as it was clear at the time the transaction was made that he would not be the final recipient.

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/209468-supreme-court-rejects-straw-gun-buys

As you didn't fill out any transfer forms, you should be ok, but you may be in serious trouble. No comments to LE without your attorney present.

Technically, it was a straw purchase. Abramski filled out a Form 4473 and lied when he said that he was buying the Glock for personal use. Now if he had simply ordered the Glock straight to his uncle's FFL and never had done anything to take possession of it himself, he would have been fine.

There does need to be reform with that. Many otherwise law abiding gun owners do straw purchases without realizing it. Someone might go to Cabelas, and then call their buddy or even a family member who couldn't make it and ask if he would like him to pick up a gun for him. The Amish do that all the time.

Abramski was just really unlucky that the cops came looking for his Glock due to an unrelated incident and he told them exactly what he had done with it. He made the mistake of having his uncle give him the money beforehand, which showed that he had bought/papered out the Glock with the intention of giving it to someone else. The fact that he sent it to his uncle's FFL was irrelevant.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...aw-purchase-rules-in-abramski-v-united-states

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    This case has blown my mind. What an informative article. So you could be doing a straw purchase and not even know it.

The reason the guy got in trouble in the Abramski case is he lied on the 4473, said he was the final recipient of the gun when he was not going to be, and he knew he was not going to be. Apparently they wanted to take advantage of the Glock LE discount, which the uncle couldn't get. The uncle had already sent him a check for the gun when he filled out the 4473, and the government had a copy of it. It was a chickenshit case, they even transferred the gun properly to the uncle in Pennsylvania at a PA dealer through a NICS check, but still he did lie on the 4473 in the beginning. That is not your issue. That is a totally different case. I think however the gun was paid for is irrelevant, and you have nothing to worry about. It's truthfulness on the 4473 that counts. I am not a lawyer, yada, yada, yada...

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    The reason the guy got in trouble in the Abramski case is he lied on the 4473, said he was the final recipient of the gun when he was not going to be, and he knew he was not going to be. Apparently they wanted to take advantage of the Glock LE discount, which the uncle couldn't get. The uncle had already sent him a check for the gun when he filled out the 4473, and the government had a copy of it. It was a chickenshit case, they even transferred the gun properly to the uncle in Pennsylvania at a PA dealer through a NICS check, but still he did lie on the 4473 in the beginning. That is not your issue. That is a totally different case. I think however the gun was paid for is irrelevant, and you have nothing to worry about. It's truthfulness on the 4473 that counts. I am not a lawyer, yada, yada, yada...

Completely agree with the above. Maybe you owed him $ and that is how you paid him back. Some people are lazy and clueless to the online world too. You didn't fill out the 4473 so I wouldn't worry about it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I had this happen with a gun I purchased a while back. The FFL I got it from informed me that BATF ran a trace on the Taurus I bought from him a while back. Fortunately for me, I had sold the pistol via consignment at another FFL. Not sure what the deal was with that. BATF didn't tell him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom