• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Apparently, it can be done by a "pro". Jerry reels off 10 rounds in just over a second. Doubt an average joe could do it.

Frosh and Fader got this one downloaded now..

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I was under the impression an En Banc request was not voted on at the Circuit but had to be heard. I thought a vote for CERT by SCOTUS was the only vote that decided a rehearing.

Is this incorrect?

En banc is also only granted upon a vote of the judges, but it requires a majority of the active judges. Cert only requires four out of nine.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I was under the impression an En Banc request was not voted on at the Circuit but had to be heard. I thought a vote for CERT by SCOTUS was the only vote that decided a rehearing.

Is this incorrect?

Wrong on both points. Active judges in a given circuit vote on any en banc request IF a judge requests a vote. Most en banc petitions are denied without even a judge requesting a vote. Cert is a decision by 4 members of SCT to bring a case to them. A party need NOT petition for rehearing en banc before filing a petition for cert. Most parties do so, as it gives them two shots.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    thanks for schooling me Esq.

One other question. How is an En Banc petition decided without the judges voting? I am confused sorry.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    This forum is an open book of information on firearms in Maryland.
    No one is putting information here that the powers that be don't already have.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    thanks for schooling me Esq.

One other question. How is an En Banc petition decided without the judges voting? I am confused sorry.

Granting a petition for rehearing en banc means that a majority of the judges voting have voted to rehear it. That vote to rehear en banc usually doesn't decide the case. Usually, more briefs are filed and an en banc oral argument is held before the entire court (or before 11 judges in the 9th Circuit). Then an en banc decision is issued.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Perhaps the biggest whopper Fader told during the argument was that an AR15 and the other newly banned AW are vastly more dangerous than the machine guns that were available in 1934 when the NFA was enacted into law. Someone should ask Faber whether an AR15 is really more dangerous than a Browning water cooled .30 machine gun M1917 or air cooled M1919 on a tripod. Or even a .45 Tommy Gun with a drum mag. Hell, the M2 .50 dates back to before 1934. You can kill armor with that with the right ammo. If Fader actually believes this nonsense, then he is wholly and willfully ill-informed at a minimum (there is a duty to inquire before you make these sorts of assertions in court). If he knows better, then he lied to the court.

EDIT: If I were counsel, I would be sorely tempted to file a 28j post argument letter on this point. If only to make Faber and the State look like idiots by further undermining their credibility.

Sir: with all respect, maybe you could ask the counsel to file a 28j post argument. JMHO

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    Just as a clarification, within 14 days after the decision you must petition the 4th circuit for a hearing en banc. Whichever party loses will almost certainly file a petition. It is at that point that the Judges vote amongst themselves to decide whether or not to hear the case en banc.

Assuming we lose with the panel of 3 Judges, it would be a huge waste of time and money to proceed en banc. Would seem to me that MSI should skip that step and head straight to the cert petition. The state has unlimited resources and will go en banc before they try SCOTUS.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    For those sitting on the edges of their seats waiting for this opinion, you can sign up for daily e-mail alerts that list/link to the opinions released each day.

https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USFEDCOURTS/subscriber/new

Pretty sure the opinion and a link to it will be posted on here the very hour it comes down, maybe sooner. E-mail notification for this thread will work just as well since there will probably be 100 new posts in this thread within 10 minutes. E-mail should be on fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom