• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Update:

My Sevigny Performance sights have arrived, and I've selected the .125” wide rear notch with a .105” wide x .220” tall front sight. I wanted a thinner profile front sight for better precision work at 25 Y.

Alas, attempting to install them has met with some frustration, since these sights are cut a little large.

I'm heading to Virginia Arms and will have Robb install them professionally. I hope to have this pistol back in service today and hope another range trip / report is in order very soon.

I called Rich at Custom Carry Concepts and he is making me a Shaggy for it.

Last edited:

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    FNH makes the M240 and M249 SAW for the DOD, I am looking at the FNX 45 soon, and been eyeing the SCAR 17s by FNH...Again if it fits good and YOU are comfortable with it go for it...

I have both of those and you won't regret the SCAR, just watch where your support hand/fingers are with that bolt. The FNX frame can lead to stove-pipes if you limp wrist it. I shot 30 rounds through it rapidly and did not have any issues, whereas my mom shot it and had a problem almost every other round. Odd thing is she fires her USP-45 without any issues.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I have the FNS40LS for a duty gun and a standard FNS. They are excellent guns. They have both been very reliable and accurate. I shot one in a York Action match and it worked very well. The checkering in the grips can be harsh but it really helps maintain your grip if your hands are wet or sweaty.

I am not a FN fanboy but I have a SCAR17 and a SLP MK1 in addition to the pistols and they have been great shooters and reliable. If I remember later today I can take pics with a Glock 19.

Last edited:

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Anyone who own both a FNS and a G19/23 do me a favor and take some pictures of them over lapping?

I'm trying to see how much larger the FNS is compared to the compact line of Glocks. With a main focus on how much longer the grip is.

Thanks.

Hickok45 does this in a video review on Youtube.

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Another 500 rounds down the spout of my FNS-9. I experienced a consistently (and annoying) low POI with the .105x.220 front sight, so I shortened it to .200. This should remedy the issue. Hitting the range tomorrow to confirm POI issue fixed and will shoot the FNS in Tuesday's KSTG match at the NRA Range.

The pistol keeps humming along and continues to impress.

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Another 386 rounds down the spout of the FNS-9. Shot DT (46/50 at 5y):sad20: , FAST drill, 5.47, 5.17 & 5.09, clean and worked on Bill drills as well as my times on an IDPA A-Zone at 15/20/25 for the match tomorrow night.

Waiting on Rich at Custom Carry Concepts to ship my Shaggy with leather backer.

Total round count is 1686.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    remagyqa.jpg
    jutyhety.jpg

Grip length is a little longer than the Glock 19 and almost identical to the Glock 17. The FNS slide is slightly angled in the back. This makes the slide a touch shorter than the 19 at the top and a touch longer at the bottom. So basically, the FNS size wise is a Glock 17 frame with a Glock 19 slide.

SmokeEETR

MSI Executive Member
    Jan 24, 2013
    Harford County
    I bought the FNS .40 on the Balto Co. bid just prior to the October 1 nonsense. Good gun..accurate and about the same size as a Glock 23. Slightly different rake angle than a Glock but lots of nice features. 3 mags included and good price. At first I liked the ambidextrous controls but after a while I found them bothersome. Good solid reliable weapon but I'll stick with my Glock for carry.

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    The FNS has completed the 2000 Round Challenge with flying colors.

Pistol: FNS-9 (w/o manual safety)
    Caliber: 9x19mm
    Ammunition: Mixed 115 and 124 grain factory FMJ ammunition, as well as being vetted with Speer 124 grain +P GDHP.
    Dates of testing: 8/9/14 to 8/29/14
    Total rounds fired: 2,036
    Stoppages: 0
    Malfunctions: 1 unintended magazine release during a fumbled draw.
    Breakages: 0

Pistol was lubricated with Fireclean upon delivery and cleaned once when it successfully passed the 2000 round mark today. I've found the FNS to be ergonomic, easy to shoot well and quite accurate. Very glad I added this pistol to my stable.

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    I also have the FNH FNS 40 long slide as my issued duty gun. I have almost 1000 rounds through her with only two failure to feeds early on, both after reloading with a fresh mag. Both times the slide slightly hung up but did go into battery on its own prior to me initiating a malfunctions drill. It is very accurate and I love the ergonomics. Mine has the Warren/Sevigny tactical sights with tritium inserts. I have not had any issues with the ambi controls and my grip however others in my department have had some issues related to their grip such as activating the mag release unintentionally. We are training with the thumbs forward grip used by many competition shooters such as Dave Sevigny and Scott Warren. I attended a one day school with Scott Warren and everything he did was based on this grip I have been training with. We fired over 500 rounds at paper and steel and had a blast. Scott was shooting a single stack 1911 in .40 and was destroying us on the steel and we had 14 round mags. The action is tight on the FNS which contributes to it's accuracy and does need a little break in. I still have a little difficulty getting the barrel out of the slide on field stripping but the metal does not show much wear as a result of the tight action.
    I get none of the trigger back slap that I get from my Glock 23 and the reset is pretty short for fast follow up shots.

I also have a FNX-45 and really like it. It has a slightly smaller grip than the Glock 21 and fits my hand much better and very accurate.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I also have a FNX-45 and really like it. It has a slightly smaller grip than the Glock 21 and fits my hand much better and very accurate.

I was amazed at how accurate I was with it on my first time out. Definitely favor the FNX 45 over my G21. But the G21 shoots better gangsta. :lol:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Just saw they finally released the FNS Compact.

I'm thinking of getting one in .40 if I can find a decent deal on one. Like how it comes with two ten rounders and a 14 round magazine.

Thinking I'll get one of these and a G23 at the same time and see which one takes the cake for carrying purposes. The FNS Compact is almost the same size as the MP40C I carry now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom