• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    I have a suppressor question for the guys here with knowledge of the NFA.
    First a few things that should be true.

1. As long as an individual files a Form 1 and get their tax stamp, they can legally build one suppressor with that stamp. (all markings etc as per the law.)

2. A business or individual with a SOT/Class 3 can build and sell suppressors as per the NFA by following applicable regulations.

My question is as follows. Can an individual obtain plans and materials to build a suppressor from scratch, do most of the work, and then, here is the part I want an answer to, have a shop with a SOT/Class 3 finish and test the suppressor for the individual. Said shop then registers the suppressor as one they made on their books, and the individual buys the suppressor from them and does the Form 4 paperwork (same $200 tax stamp and time wait for the item). Benefits provided this is legal, would be the shop gets to make a little money at gunsmithing rates for the time (regardless of whether or not the suppressor works as intended, they did the testing and finishing work and need paid for their time and work to include helping file the Form 4), the individual gets to have a suppressor (provided it works) he partially built and he knows before filing the Form 4 that it works.
    Hopefully I have explained this well enough. Not trying to dodge around laws, just want to test something before I commit to the tax stamp part. (yes, I know it would be cheaper to just pay the $200 and file the Form 1, but the extra 100-200 of having a shop finish and test it before then might be worth it.)

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I am not a lawyer but I believe even possessing the parts to build a suppressor can be construed as constructive possession. Your best off contacting BATFE and asking an agent your question. That said why wouldn't you just file the form 1 and build the suppressor and have a Class III gunsmith check it out/finish and test for you?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    As a guy who has form 1'ed a suppressor: You can't build any parts of it until you already have the stamp. Parts = suppressor.

Just copy a know-to-work-ok design and don't sweat it too much.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    BTW an eFile Form 1 for a trust is taking 3 - 4 weeks to come back approved.

If you have an SOT build it for you, it will have to be transferred on a Form 4, that will take a minimum of 5 months.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    If I had the skills to build a first class suppressor, machining, milling etc, I don't think I'd have the need to have it "tested" unless I was experimenting to achieve some sort of maximum sound reduction.
    I only have the skills to build a bubba suppressor, pvc pipe, steel wool and maybe a lawn mower air filter. I wouldn't build one of those, but if I did, I don't think I'd have the nerve to ask someone else to test it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If I had the skills to build a first class suppressor, machining, milling etc, I don't think I'd have the need to have it "tested" unless I was experimenting to achieve some sort of maximum sound reduction.
    I only have the skills to build a bubba suppressor, pvc pipe, steel wool and maybe a lawn mower air filter. I wouldn't build one of those, but if I did, I don't think I'd have the nerve to ask someone else to test it.

http://preppersdiscount.com/c-maglite-adapters.html

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I'm considering a form 1 for something like this. Seems like it would be impossible to keep clean though. Serialize the adapter that way you could just throw away the other parts and rebuild.

Can't do that. Takes another stamp to replace the shell. An ATF letter addresses this subject directly. There are VERY limited parts replacement scenarios.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    The answer to your question is "no." For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term Silencer is defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24):

The term “Firearm Silencer” or “Firearm Muffler” means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    You could make a full length metal shell that mounts to the adaptor and the actual maglite would slide into that shell. Then the shell could be serialized as the actual "suppressor" as it would be the tube that holds the internals. That is one way I could see modifying the design based on that link.

I'm considering a form 1 for something like this. Seems like it would be impossible to keep clean though. Serialize the adapter that way you could just throw away the other parts and rebuild.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

1) Use "The Dip." 50/50 Hydrogen Peroxide (edited) and White Vinegar. Be VERY careful handling the resulting liquid, it has soluble lead which is NASTY.

2) Push out the "baffles", destroy them, make new ones, install in same tube with same end caps.

Last edited:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    1) Use "The Dip." 50/50 Ammonia and White Vinegar. Be VERY careful handling the resulting liquid, it has soluble lead which is NASTY.

2) Push out the "baffles", destroy them, make new ones, install in same tube with same end caps.

The "DIP" I know of is hydrogen peroxide and vinegar, not ammonia. Is this something different or a typo....

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    The "DIP" I know of is hydrogen peroxide and vinegar, not ammonia. Is this something different or a typo....

Ammonia is a base and vinegar is an acid. Adding one to the other, neutralizes both. Mixing stronger solutions muriatic acid and lye is dangerous.

Dealing with aqueous lead doesn't sound like fun. Makes me wonder how much I want a silencer

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Makes me wonder how much I want a silencer

Yeesh, just get a SilencerCo Sparrow, which is the easiest to clean 22 suppressor, and can mostly be done with your hands. The way the monocore is designed, it starts to create lead walls against the clam shells and in-between the monocore baffles. You then can just snap off the lead with your fingers, and use a brass bush for the rest.

If I were going to build a suppressor, it would be a fixed barrel pistol caliber. 22 is just too dirty with conventional designs, and you might find yourself in some gray areas of the law, like making new baffles and disposing of the old dirty ones.

Just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom