• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    My winter EDC. 8 shots of .357 goodness. Summer carry is usually an LCR.

d6fb9084c94362cafe7fc6caa7534b6c.jpg

c83a797cea407cc68d32fa3f1eacf108.jpg

3fbada9f4d5a50a649cb0b7bf947ad29.jpg

63e34326f4a2196520b3e79cf4b5e96f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's F'n NICE!!!

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Fair question. First I was originally looking for a .38/.357 I would almost 100% of the time use a 38, I just wanted the ability to have 357 for ammo availability.

Next, I had not heard many good things about the 9mm revolver due to moon clips, etc. This thread gave me some good pointers and I actually found a review from Massad on the lcr 9mm.

Now he does state it is a good backup gun to your semi auto due to ammo similarity.

The LCR series has great reviews as far as reliability, trigger, etc.

So essentially since I carry 9mm 100% of the time right now, Id like to stick with the common calibre.

Those are just some thoughts. Since it is NOT on the roster board I might be back to the drawing board and if that is the case I will go with a 38/357

I do not trust the charter arms, or taraus 9mm guns.

I know smith has an older one ..a 540? and a 9 something?

But the prices on those things are nuts.

Don't let the fact that it is not on the roster stop you. It is pretty easy to add a similar model of the same gun.

I was looking to purchase a S&W 640 pro two years ago, and was told I couldn't as it wasn't on the roster. Filled out the petition, and submitted it with a brochure of the 640pro, as well as one for the approved 640, to the roster board. In about three months it was approved and on the list shortly thereafter. All without having to send the roster board an actual 640pro to examine.

You can do the same for the 9mm LCR, PM me if you want to know more.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I see your line of thinking and I don't disagree with it, but I offer the counter. There is no advantage to a revolver as opposed to a modern, quality semi-auto at least in terms of reliability. The only advantages that most people seem to find are ease of use and "better" caliber choices (.357; .45lc; .44) that aren't commonly available in semi autos. I get the idea of only stocking one caliber but I don't think you've really gained anything other than the ability to carry a revolver for the sake of carrying a revolver.

Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I see your line of thinking and I don't disagree with it, but I offer the counter. There is no advantage to a revolver as opposed to a modern, quality semi-auto at least in terms of reliability. The only advantages that most people seem to find are ease of use and "better" caliber choices (.357; .45lc; .44) that aren't commonly available in semi autos. I get the idea of only stocking one caliber but I don't think you've really gained anything other than the ability to carry a revolver for the sake of carrying a revolver.

Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.

Actually thats it right there. I do not believe one is more reliable than the other, but I want a revolver.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Well then, the 9mm makes a lot of sense. I hope you can get an LCR, they really look like cool guns.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Actually thats it right there. I do not believe one is more reliable than the other, but I want a revolver.

I don't know about you, but at night when I go walk the dog, I'm not strapping on a holster and gun. A hammerless revolver is perfect for a winter coat pocket that you can get more than one round off without removing it.
    Also it slides perfectly in a back pocket of a pair of shorts in summer at night.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    I see you've pretty much made up your mind, but my recommendation would have been the SP101 (DAO if you can find it).

It is bigger and heavier than a j-frame, but since you state you'll be carrying on a belt anyway, I don't see that as a big deal (and it helps with making .357mag practice tolerable, if not fun). I can carry mine on a belt comfortably all day.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    SCOOOORE!!

According to Marlene Jenkins in MDSP :

"The Sturm Ruger LCR (Model #5456) in 9mm will be legal on 2/9/15 - is this what you are looking for"

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Ruger because my trigger pull can be smoothed out, your S&W can't be made sturdier. ;)

Not knocking Ruger as I'm a fan and have many, but which S&Ws do you anticipate failing in .38/.357 or 9mm? I'm curious, as I have many revolvers and the only failures I ever hear of are the pre-endurance package model 29s of 30+ years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    and for reference, the LCR is awesome. Great trigger, and quite accurate if you can master a double action trigger, although they have one with a spur now to cock for single action shooting if you like.

Depends on what you want, but I'd go ruger.

Then again I am an admitted fanboy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom