• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    It's honestly a bit disturbing to see posts like these here and on facebook since this was announced.

I can only speak for myself, but I didn't think I was "safe" or "escaping" by moving to PA. I didn't abandon those fighting for the 2A in MD. I didn't start a going-away-thread bragging about my move out of state.

But since you asked, I'm doing great up here. Besides the generally better people and atmosphere, I've been able to leagally carry openly or concealed for the last year and a half I've been living here. I can walk into any gun shop and walk out with my new handgun/AR-15/M1A/whatever in less than 10 minutes. I can buy any number of PMags (not to mention standard capacity pistol magazines, which you now have to travel out of state for). And I joined a gun club with a $25 yearly fee.

I'm not under any delusion that I'm "safe" up here forever. I'm still going to be actively fighting to keep my rights here, and for you to re-gain your rights down there. But hey, if you all want to point and laugh and say "I told you so", go ahead. :shrug:
    Take it with a grain of salt, as with most other things written on this board.

There are a lot of people here who have been hailing the call to move from MD just to escape the anti-gun, high-tax, Dem-held climate. If they left for those reasons to VA or PA, one must see the humor in this when both states have elected Dems as governors -- both of whom are not 2A allies.

Granted, both places have more conservative legislatures and have elected Dem governors before, but the timing is funny nonetheless. I would say that both Wolf and McAuliffe are going to face absolute hell if they start restricting carry and such, but neither had much trouble winning the their respective governor seats in each place...

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Take it with a grain of salt, as with most other things written on this board.

There are a lot of people here who have been hailing the call to move from MD just to escape the anti-gun, high-tax, Dem-held climate. If they left for those reasons to VA or PA, one must see the humor in this when both states have elected Dems as governors -- both of whom are not 2A allies.

Granted, both places have more conservative legislatures and have elected Dem governors before, but the timing is funny nonetheless. I would say that both Wolf and McAuliffe are going to face absolute hell if they start restricting carry and such, but neither had much trouble winning the their respective governor seats in each place...

It's cool, I was just feeling grouchy this morning.

Still am actually, my transmission went out this morning just as I was getting to work, so for the time being I'm stranded in MD anyway. :sad20:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I am highly jealous of PA. Nothing else says bury the skinny pedal and go for broke or come to a stop like their 50 foot merge lanes. Too many dysfunctional options are open when you have Maryland 1/4 mile long interstate merges.

I also like how PA only has 1 license plate, no need to fumble about with no drill tag brackets, etc.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I think people just get a little touchy because there are a lot of people on the MSI FB page who rub it in about how PA is a wonderland of eternal gun rights.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I think people just get a little touchy because there are a lot of people on the MSI FB page who rub it in about how PA is a wonderland of eternal gun rights.

A lot of PA residents are complacent. I have a bunch of friends and family up there. They make fun of me for living in MD but don't pay attention to what's happening in their own back yard because they think they don't have to.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    A lot of PA residents are complacent. I have a bunch of friends and family up there. They make fun of me for living in MD but don't pay attention to what's happening in their own back yard because they think they don't have to.

Ditto - they have no idea how fortunate they are - for now.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Personally, I think he'll wait.

Too soon, and it might look like a knee-jerk reaction, and the media will find ways to be all over it.

Hogan has until Feb 22 to make and deliver all of his appointments to the legislature for approval.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So, at the moment we have none. Brown resigns at noon and is orgainizing his pens and post-its within 24 hours.

Not sure I get it, Hogan obviously has someone picked. They know, he knows, what's the hold up with everyone else knowing?

Not true, there are 4 Lt. Cols that can fill in until a new Secretary of State Police is appointed.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Not true, there are 4 Lt. Cols that can fill in until a new Secretary of State Police is appointed.
    Sure they can, but, didn't need to in PA (for example).

I just don't understand the delay. When (if) it's a shit decision we'll stop wondering I guess.

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    http://www.sra.state.md.us/Participants/Downloads/Forms/Form_128.pdf Maryland law requires that there must be a minimum of 45 DAYS between your retirement date and the date you are rehired by any employer that is a participating employer in the SRPS. All units of Maryland State government, including the University System of Maryland, are considered to be one employer under these reemployment rules.
    Additionally, employment after retirement, under certain conditions, may cause your retirement allowance to be reduced.

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    http://www.sra.state.md.us/Participants/Downloads/Forms/Form_128.pdf Maryland law requires that there must be a minimum of 45 DAYS between your retirement date and the date you are rehired by any employer that is a participating employer in the SRPS. All units of Maryland State government, including the University System of Maryland, are considered to be one employer under these reemployment rules.
    Additionally, employment after retirement, under certain conditions, may cause your retirement allowance to be reduced.

No worries, Jack, you're way past 45 days! :thumbsup:

Code:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I don't know...I think it's pretty well SOP for a lot of Executive Appointees, at all levels of government (local, state, federal) to resign when their appointing executive finishes in office.

I don't see that this has much to do with anything other than the changing of the guard.

At the Federal Cabinet level the custom is that all Cabinet Officer appointees tender their resignations when a new President is elected. Whether he accepts it or not is up in the air.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    I have friends and relatives who work for MSP. They told me today that retired Lieutenant Colonel William Pallozzi has been selected by Larry Hogan to become the next Superintendent of the State Police.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have friends and relatives who work for MSP. They told me today that retired Lieutenant Colonel William Pallozzi has been selected by Larry Hogan to become the next Superintendent of the State Police.

I have been told the same thing by folks who are well placed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom