• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'm not buying an AR until one is chambered in 7.62x54r.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I like the 300 BLK a lot. It is a potent round for hunting, All i have to do is swap out uppers on my AR and I can use my lower and mags "as-is". It can also be loaded in a sub-sonic flavor which I can fire through my 9mm suppressor (Multimount). What's not to like?

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I see the .300BLK growing in popularity and staying popular for two reasons:

1. As has been discussed, it is ridiculously easy to swap over to it. Bolt, and mag compatability are huge.

2. It's a great suppressed round. Don't under estimate the rise of suppressors. Sales of suppressors have skyrocketed in recent years as the price of a tax stamp continues to erode. I don't see that trend stopping any time soon. I believe that soon, most gun owners will own suppressors, and hope that one day it will be rude not to own one.
    .300BLK is really the best suppressed solution for the AR platform, and that will be the deciding factor in its survival.

-Jim

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The reality is that .300 blackout hit the mark (or rebranded the mark from .300 whisper) in terms of market acceptance.

- Greater punch of the .30 round
    -Uses a .30 bullet interchangable with other loads (e.g., 30-06, 30-40 etc)

- Uses existing mags
    - Uses existing bolt
    - Uses formed existing cases

Basically all the wonders that lead to a low production cost, good performing, easily reloadable round that fits the market. Smart move.

Everything else including my beloved 7.62*39 is a hobby round in the AR platform.

rsilvers

Dec 24, 2010
    Not a chance in the world. I remember back when 6.8mm was the new hotness... everyone thought the whole universe was going to use it. Fast-forward two years later, it's a reloader's cartridge... and that was with broad industry support, too. (6.8mm Remington SPC, anyone?)

What's .300BLK really good for? AR-15 SBRs. Those are not floating about in the civilian world in great numbers, and the military is not going to be buying boatloads of .300BLK any time soon.

Quoted for posterity. What does 6.8 have to do with it? 6.8 has more expensive ammo, requires a custom bolt, custom magazines, does not hold 30 rounds, the military never adopted it, etc.

rsilvers

Dec 24, 2010
    This brings me to my follow-on point: .308 is much cheaper than .300BLK. .300BLK is not going to be going mainstream any time soon at 60 cents per round (and usually more). .308 will do anything .300BLK does better, excepting the NFA-related stuff (which, as I've mentioned above, is not a sizable portion of the market).

308 does not even work in an AR15. That is the whole point - 300 BLK works in AR15s.

rsilvers

Dec 24, 2010
    They (Remington) ****ed up the chamber drawings submitted to SAAMI which gave many users bad results and problems with MV and chamber pressure.

To be fair, the greater problem was barrel companies making bores that were smaller than SAAMI minimum cross-sectional area.

rsilvers

Dec 24, 2010
    Why you think .300BLK is so much different, I'm still not sure.

Lower cost to get into. Brass is as little as 11 cents a case. 30 cal is the most popular bullet size. 30 rounds in normal magazines. Normal bolt. 40% cheaper ammo than 6.8. Also I am the project lead on it at AAC and I know what mistakes to avoid.

rsilvers

Dec 24, 2010
    The Ballistic Research Facility of the FBI Academy in Quantico VA has completed its testing of Barnes 110 grain 300 AAC Blackout ammunition. They will furnish the test report to any Federal, State, or Local law enforcement agency that requests it, providing that the request is on official letterhead containing contact information (address and phone number). The request must be signed by a supervisor (Sgt. or higher) and the letter must contain the following statement: "The information is requested for official use and will not be disseminated outside our agency."

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Quoted for posterity. What does 6.8 have to do with it? 6.8 has more expensive ammo, requires a custom bolt, custom magazines, does not hold 30 rounds, the military never adopted it, etc.
    Your responses are taking my argument completely out of context. What I was arguing against was .300BLK getting 40% of the AR-15 market share in the near term. I was not arguing against .300BLK being a good round, or having a purpose, or even stick around commercially. By all means, I'd like it to stick around and get cheaper. But let's address this from my perspective. 6.8mm was the hotness two years ago. It fizzled out. That is the point of comparison. It is not entirely unreasonable to start there.

Reloading? Not really relevant to market share.

Compatible with existing uppers via rebarrel? Again, also not very relevant. How many people actually rebarrel their guns, versus buying new uppers or (more likely) buying new ones entirely?

Magazines? Well, you got me there. That's a nice feature. I still don't think it's make or break.

So, yes, quote me for posterity. For all of the above reasons, .300BLK will not be taking 40% of the AR-15 market in the next two years. If you're truly the project manager, you'll have the sales projections. Are you genuinely telling me that it's 40%+ of the AR-15 market in the next two years?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Prediction of Irony (TM): Erwos will own a Blackout in the next 5 years and it will be his favorite caliber.
    Ha! Entirely possible. I really like .300BLK as an SBR and suppressor caliber, and I'm getting into those areas. Believe me, I'd like nothing better than to be wrong and be putting my 30 cents a round .300BLK downrange in a few years.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    The Ballistic Research Facility of the FBI Academy in Quantico VA has completed its testing of Barnes 110 grain 300 AAC Blackout ammunition. They will furnish the test report to any Federal, State, or Local law enforcement agency that requests it, providing that the request is on official letterhead containing contact information (address and phone number). The request must be signed by a supervisor (Sgt. or higher) and the letter must contain the following statement: "The information is requested for official use and will not be disseminated outside our agency."

rsilvers, is the only difference between .300blk and .300WT the cartridge length. What is there to recommend one over the other?

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    To be fair, the greater problem was barrel companies making bores that were smaller than SAAMI minimum cross-sectional area.

The bigger issue was the chamber & case drawing screwup.

It was bad enough the Remington submitted design had less freebore and a much sharper angle where the neck transitions to the freebore, than the original chamber of the 5th SFG; but if you look at the drawings you can have a conditon where a case 'in spec' to the max dimensions would not fit in a chamber that was 'in spec' to the minium dimensions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom