• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    I have an approved 5320.20 from the ATF. Do I have to travel with the orginal SBR configuration or can I travel with any SBR configuration as long as I have the ATF approved paperwork?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I don't know the legal answer, but if you can put it back into it's original configuration that would satisfy the BATF. I don't know where you'd have to be to prove that to them however. How hard would it be to travel with both just to be safe?

I will admit I travel to the NRA with a 10.5 inch 300 BLK upper while the original from 20 says a 10.3 .223 upper. I don't travel with both.

I'm not worried about it though. That's my .02

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The serial is the SBR, but IMO (not a lawyer) the form 20 serial number and desciption and caliber should match the actual info on the stamp .

just my opinion though.

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    Thanks Guys for giving me your educated opinions! I truly appreciate it!:)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Isn't the lower the SBR? A question not an answer. That is the engraved and serial numbered part recorded on the form. I would also like to know.

Not exactly.

BATFE states in an FAQ that if you take the SBR upper off an SBR lower and put a regular upper on that lower, it is no longer an SBR and may be transported as a regular everyday rifle.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Not exactly.

BATFE states in an FAQ that if you take the SBR upper off an SBR lower and put a regular upper on that lower, it is no longer an SBR and may be transported as a regular everyday rifle.

Would you happen to have a link for that?

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Not exactly.

Would you happen to have a link for that?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

Q: If I remove the short barrel from my SBR or SBS, may I move the firearm across state lines without the submission of ATF Form 5320.20, Application to Transport or to Temporarily Export Certain Firearms?
    If the registrant retains control over the parts required to assemble the SBR or SBS, the firearm is still be subject to all requirements of the NFA. ATF recommends contacting law enforcement officials in the destination state to ensure compliance with state and local law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom