• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    My wife works the inner city of Baltimore and keeps tabs on the PD via their twitter feed. After 20 years of working as a pediatric therapist she's worried for the first time. She has never heard of so many shootings during daylight hours than in the last few weeks. Normally when she starts work she's dealing with taped-off streets or buildings, not active shooters. So she's looking at her options.

One option suggested to her many times by many people over the last few years is voice-over work. She has a great, clear speaking voice with no discernible accent (unless she's tipsy and the Boston comes out :rolleyes:) and is able to speak clearly at variable speeds. She's looking for professional gigs like messaging, campaigns and commercials, not character work like audio books or cartoons. I intend to use her in the training videos for a site I'm working on but I doubt that limited exposure will amount to a resume for her.

We've looked into various places we could find online but have not found anything that looks legitimate. Most seem to want you to pay for their classes before they will "represent" you.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know of agencies in the Baltimore/Washington corridor that specialize in this kind of work? Appreciate any advice or pointers.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    I took a voice over class some years back from A lady (Susan something I think - she was the voice of AT&T on their networks among other things). It was a whole lot tougher than I expected. Having a good voice is one thing, but you have to be an actor - which it turns out I am not. Great gig though if you can do it.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    I took a voice over class some years back from A lady (Susan something I think - she was the voice of AT&T on their networks among other things). It was a whole lot tougher than I expected. Having a good voice is one thing, but you have to be an actor - which it turns out I am not. Great gig though if you can do it.
    Edit: this is the lady:

http://www.greatvoice.com/

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Just seeing this thread. I'll ask our producer tomorrow. I honestly don't know the way in myself, haha.

I do know that many people who do this stuff for a living have their own equipment at home and dial in to the studios doing the record. Occasionally talent does come in for a record, but more often than not, they're somewhere else.

And yes, many voice talents do work through a representative agency of some sort.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Appreciate the pointers. Regarding equipment, I have some decent quality mics and use camtasia for editing. I did a load of podcasts and training sessions after a software book I wrote came out a couple of years ago. I assumed it would be mostly a work from home and own your own deal. We just don't know who to go to to even figure out how to set up a demo. My wife is pretty motivated to learn though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    My company uses talent from voices.com.
    She will need professional recording equipment.

PM me and I will send my contacts name. She is basically a sales exec but she could connect her with the voice talent recruiters.

Access the site and listen to some of the demos.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Didn't have a good chance to touch base with our producer. Sorry about that. I'll try again next week.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    My buddy, Joe, is professional voice talent. Super nice guy too. I'm sure he'd give your wife some pointers if you reach out to him. If you watch TV, you've probably heard his vioce a thousand times. His info is here:

http://www.fabulousvoices.com/joe.html

I know he records at home. He does work for me once on a while and provides uncompressed AiFF files that we load into our editing projects.

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    Not got any advice for you on who to talk to as most of my work is live events but will say do not use camtasia, it's really not great for audio, I use it to capture power point so I'm very familiar with it. Have look at studio one by presonous. It's pretty good for a free software ( they bought a renowned audio software company) and you can pay to upgrade if you want to. It's much easier if you start with a good quality file. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom