• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Sorry for the ABC questions, but I made an impulse buy.
    Just picked this up and want to make sure I don't make any fundamental mistakes purchasing an replacement usgi stock for it. Is there any differences between variations of the 1903 with regards to the stock I should be aware of or can you only use any 1903 stock?

Attachments

• WP_20150530_006.jpg
      WP_20150530_006.jpg
      55.3 KB · Views: 299

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Tod - I don't know how collectible a stock you are looking for, but I'll probably soon have a decent "refinished" (sanded, but not varnished) stock available. It looks decent, but most of the markings were either taken down to where they're pretty faint, or gone altogether. It's the sort of thing that CMP did at one time, but I don't think CMP did this one.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Tod - I don't know how collectible a stock you are looking for, but I'll probably soon have a decent "refinished" (sanded, but not varnished) stock available. It looks decent, but most of the markings were either taken down to where they're pretty faint, or gone altogether. It's the sort of thing that CMP did at one time, but I don't think CMP did this one.

Thanks Doc, I just want to put it back relatively correct with minimum work.

yes and it has all the metal you need.

Cool, what do you think would be a reasonable price, looks like there's already a few bidders and a couple days left on the auction?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    used stocks , no metal start at 75.

repro stocks run 150 and up with no metal.

a full set of stock metal from sarco (will include repro parts) is 50.

Take it from there....

the stock shown in the auction is in really good condition and the metal is nice (mix of blue and park, not arsenal refinish (all park)).

Your a3 also has "factory" not arsenal finish (blue bolt and rear sight)

It should be really pretty when you finish it and that auction stock is a one stop shop for all you need for a full, correct, restoration.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    the stock shown in the auction is in really good condition and the metal is nice (mix of blue and park, not arsenal refinish (all park)).

Your a3 also has "factory" not arsenal finish (blue bolt and rear sight)

It should be really pretty when you finish it and that auction stock is a one stop shop for all you need for a full, correct, restoration.

Thanks, your opinion on condition is greatly appreciated and this particular listing would as you pointed out meet all my needs

DennisCA

todbiker - I have almost finished my restoration of a "sporterized" Remington 1903a3 that I bought a couple of years ago.
    Before:
    Remington%201903a3Before_zpshlpxypvo.jpg

After: (almost finished-just a couple of things left to do)
    e1d38328-ecfb-43f6-8f29-c022cf6fcaeb_zpstsmtqzs2.jpg

I got the stock off ebay:
    03%20Stock_zpsxbxtj2fx.jpg

I bought the metal parts from Sarco:
    http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/search.aspx?find=03A3+Band+&+Hardware+Set+Complete

It was more work than I expected, the stock didn't quite fit the stock - so some woodworking was in order. It also didn't help that once I started the project, I didn't have a lot of time to devote to it. So it was working on it here and there.

I went with that kind of stock was because the first so-call "original" stock I got was junk - cracked everywhere, totally unusable!

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I think the A3 looks best with the Scant stock. I also had to do a bit of work around the trigger assembly and upper band components to get everything to seat properly into a NOS stock. But, as I'm sure you found out, the outcome's well worth the effort.
    Well done.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    todbiker - I have almost finished my restoration of a "sporterized" Remington 1903a3 that I bought a couple of years ago.
    Before:
    Remington%201903a3Before_zpshlpxypvo.jpg

After: (almost finished-just a couple of things left to do)
    e1d38328-ecfb-43f6-8f29-c022cf6fcaeb_zpstsmtqzs2.jpg

I got the stock off ebay:
    03%20Stock_zpsxbxtj2fx.jpg

I bought the metal parts from Sarco:
    http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/search.aspx?find=03A3+Band+&+Hardware+Set+Complete
    I went with that kind of stock was because the first so-call "original" stock I got was junk - cracked everywhere, totally unusable!

I noticed a few on ebay with cracks and a couple with a lot of rusted metal.

Looks like yours turned out great:thumbsup:

I think the A3 looks best with the Scant stock. I also had to do a bit of work around the trigger assembly and upper band components to get everything to seat properly into a NOS stock. But, as I'm sure you found out, the outcome's well worth the effort.
    Well done.
    How many A3 stock variations are there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom