• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Hey all. I got a call this morning from a MSP Trooper regarding my handgun application. They just received the application last Thursday on the 8th so I was taken a bit by surprise by the call to schedule the interview portion of the process.

The conversation was amicable and very respectful. I actually felt bad for the Trooper as he remarked that he is not really clear what the interview would entail since the questions they ask are geared toward money handling and the like.

He mentioned he would be talking to his supervisor prior to my interview to get clarification on what he should ask me (my app stated "Self defense and all lawful purposes). I said "well...you can, at the very least, witness yourself that I'm not some lunatic off the street" and we both chuckled. He was very down to earth, respectful and said they he will be treating the app like any other. I told him that I respected the work they do and that I understand that he is just doing his job (he said "yep..I'm way down the totem pole"....I’m just doing what they are asking me to do").

The trooper stated that they he would be calling my references today and that he would document the findings BUT that most likely the application would be "shelved" pending the outcome from the courts. He specifically stated that they are waiting for the appeals process to run its course so that they have definitive guidance from higher up as to what to do next.

I will be meeting with the Trooper next Friday on the 23rd for my interview. I will update when that happens.

I will NOT name the trooper as it’s irrelevant at this point but would be happy to share those specific details with MSI or SAF if they are indeed keeping track of this type of info.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Here's the question I'd like to ask, is the interview done at only one place or would they interview me at the barricks in my area? I'm almost three hours from Baltimore and thats a hell of a drive to ask someone a few simple questions.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I honestly don't know. My interview is scheduled in Frederick MD. I think that's the closest to where I reside (germantown)

Here's the question I'd like to ask, is the interview done at only one place or would they interview me at the barricks in my area? I'm almost three hours from Baltimore and thats a hell of a drive to ask someone a few simple questions.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update - mine was received by them last Friday, check cashed Tuesday, so I'm (hopefully) in the same timeline...

Have you looked at your canceled check - There was a number written on the front, bottom left. I was curious if you had the same thing?

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update - mine was received by them last Friday, check cashed Tuesday, so I'm (hopefully) in the same timeline...

Wow if they intend to "Shelve" apps pending the outcome of the appeal they surely didn't waste time cashing checks to get their money! I think the check cashing should be pending the permit, i.e. rule on my permit for/against and then cash my check.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    this sounds like good news to me, mine was received by them the 9th. If you can keep us all in the loop that would be great, as I have no idea what to expect for the interview.

did they provide you with a date, or did you make a date and they scheduled?

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    He was very flexible with dates and times..gave me a huge range (sounded like the folks in Frederick are not that busy...yet). The way it sounds...Pikesville folks delegate the interview portion to the nearest MSP.

this sounds like good news to me, mine was received by them the 9th. If you can keep us all in the loop that would be great, as I have no idea what to expect for the interview.

did they provide you with a date, or did you make a date and they scheduled?

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    Have you looked at your canceled check - There was a number written on the front, bottom left. I was curious if you had the same thing?

mine has a number written at bottom right corner, they actually hand wrote my middle initial above my name as well, number looks like 4 digits, or 2 digits and 2 letters, hard to read.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    mine has a number written at bottom right corner, they actually hand wrote my middle initial above my name as well, number looks like 4 digits, or 2 digits and 2 letters, hard to read.

Wow - I'm apparently dyslexic... Bottom Right... Oh well. Mine appeared to be 5 digits...

rstickle

Jul 12, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    Wow if they intend to "Shelve" apps pending the outcome of the appeal they surely didn't waste time cashing checks to get their money! I think the check cashing should be pending the permit, i.e. rule on my permit for/against and then cash my check.

Why would they wait? The fee has always been non-refundable. Win, lose, or draw the money was theirs the minute you applied!

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    sounds like there is really no risk to applying now unless we were to lose the appeal.

guess i am ready to fill out my application then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom