• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nicholas A.

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery county
    I know how extremely hard it is to get a permit as a regular citizen to get ther carry permit however I was wondering how easily it is for a regular business to get a carry permit for its employees during hours of operation. Thank you for any and all information provided

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Generally: Designated managers are allowed to carry on the business property.
    There is no permit involved just like on your own property at home.

Someone will come along and clarify with details.

Nicholas A.

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery county
    Alright, I wasn't sure if there was in fact one or if the owner just needed to say that it was ok, or if a license was needed to make sure the owner and business was not braking a law or the like. Just make sure all bases are covered

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Alright, I wasn't sure if there was in fact one or if the owner just needed to say that it was ok, or if a license was needed to make sure the owner and business was not braking a law or the like. Just make sure all bases are covered

You might want to wait until others chime in before passing out guns at work tomorrow morning. While I believe my advice is reasonably accurate, I'm not a lawyer nor a law-enforcement officer; I sell air-conditioners for a living. :)

Not prohibited under 4-203 (IANAL)

7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:

(i) in the course of employment;

(ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and

(iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment;

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    You might want to wait until others chime in before passing out guns at work tomorrow morning. While I believe my advice is reasonably accurate, I'm not a lawyer nor a law-enforcement officer; I sell air-conditioners for a living. :)
    As SRD pointed out you are correct. Not bad for a HVAC guy. ;)

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I'm not really sure the point of needing to be a supervisory employee.

I guess when you walk into a gun store either all those firearms are unloaded on everyone is a manager?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Not prohibited under 4-203 (IANAL)

7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:

(i) in the course of employment;

(ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and

(iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment;

Thanks for posting it.

If I were the employee, might be better to have it in writing that it's authorized by the owner. Also, from a non-lawyer (me), might also want it to say somewhere that you are a supervisory employee. I know several businesses that allow/encourage certain employees to carry at work, no one cares until/unless there is an incident.

Carrying from your residence to the business is different unless you have a permit; silly I know.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Just remember, the interns all have to share a glock.
    hollywood-glocks-life-aquatic-murray.jpg

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    So if people own a business where their car is their primary office, does that mean they can legally carry a gun in the car as long as they write themselves a note?

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010

I guess when you walk into a gun store either all those firearms are unloaded on everyone is a manager?

A lot of them have actual permits. Kind of like pharmacists and perscription pads. State has an interest in keeping people from stealing guns.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I used to be a part owner of a bar/night club. I routinely carried on Fridays and Saturdays at the club. Does not require any type of permit UNLESS you want to apply to carry off the property for the purposes of banking or such. Then you would get a restricted permit that allows you to carry while going directly to and from your bank and your property.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    So if people own a business where their car is their primary office, does that mean they can legally carry a gun in the car as long as they write themselves a note?

Not just for the purposes of carrying. They must prove they routinely carry large amounts of cash in their vehicle. And then they would require a restricted carry permit that only covered business hours. And you would need to prove this info to get the permit.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

No they are all loaded. You can authorize anyone on your property to open carry if needed. I have acted as a bodyguard a couple of times after LE incidents to protect victims who were potential witnesses while the perps were still not apprehended. I was brought in by the victims themselves who I knew.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    A lot of them have actual permits. Kind of like pharmacists and perscription pads. State has an interest in keeping people from stealing guns.

Not as many as you may think. I see most of them taking off and unloading their guns at closing time. Many lock them in the store safe. Others transport per law.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Be forewarned that a business owners permission to carry on premises does not necessarily extend to their parking lot. I realize that sounds stupid, but there was recent conviction on weapon charges for a bars authorized employee that went outside the structure into the property's parking lot to investigate a disturbance. When the police showed they charged the employee with illegal carrying of a firearm and i belive it wasmupheld on appeal. :( Of course that begs the question what if you work for a car dealership? :sad20:

Unfortunately I dont have the case cite, but it was disccussed on MDS within the last year or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom