• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    sold my slug gun a few weeks back, and since then I've been strictly out with my crossbow. Ms deer on my buddies property showed up with an infection in its gums, and dnr recommended taking it before it started suffering. So I set up and sure enough she comes walking in. Shot went a little high with her quartering a bit towards me. But being high was just a slight miscalculation on range. She went down less than 25 yards from where she stood.

The rage broadhead did one hell of a job opening her up. Really happy with how it performed. The photo shows the exit wound.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    That looks like a good sized doe. Can you tell what caused the wound on the jaw?

Seems like food getting stuck between the cheek and gum. Sat there and the bacteria build up took over. She was still a damn heavy deer, the organs looked good, and she did have some food in her gut.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Seems like food getting stuck between the cheek and gum. Sat there and the bacteria build up took over. She was still a damn heavy deer, the organs looked good, and she did have some food in her gut.

nice kill! who eats the face, anyway?:thumbsup:

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Its a doe... the DNR would have said shoot it no matter what you said btw. Their general advice is if its legal, shoot it, and if its a doe, get up in the stand and kill more does.

Pretty much. They mainly said it since he was worried about the deer losing weight and not being edible anymore. So dnr said take it out.

RLaw

Apr 6, 2013
    We were told its a food impaction and not at all uncommon. I picked up a change in her condition on the trail cam about a month ago when a video showed the area oozing a lot of long strands of spittle. Turns out the impaction had eaten a hole through her cheek the size of a tennis ball. However, pleased to report that 3/4 of the way through processing we've frozen 26 lbs of meat and have had three meals this far. One of the mildest and tender deer I've eaten. Thanks Marshmallow for coming over here and dispatching her so quickly. Neighbors didn't have a clue....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom