• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Hello,

I picked up a savage mark 2 on Friday. I'm looking for options for a scope and mount combo. The gun will be mainlya range toy. No formal competition or hunting.

Please share your setups that have worked well for rimfire. I don't need to break the bank, but will pay for quality. I'm thinking somewhere in the 300-400 range. But funny have to spend that if it's not necessary.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013

Attachments

• Marlin M25 20140622.jpg
      Marlin M25 20140622.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 357
    • Marlin M25 20140608.jpg
      Marlin M25 20140608.jpg
      95.8 KB · Views: 352

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I got a Cabelas Rimfire 3-9x for $100 on my Ruger American Rimfire and am very pleased. Next Rimfire scope will probably be a Nikon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    I got a Nixon 3x-9x50 bdc on my savage. Looks kind of funny being so big but it's what I had collecting dust. I like it a lot. Very clear for an affordable price.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    For that money you can get a nice Nikon3-9x40 BDC and have lots left over. Or a nice Leupold 2-7x33. A set of BKL 259 rings would work well. Also check out this company clearridgeoptics.com the Ulta RM 3-9x32 AO with a lifetime warranty for $229.99. I have 2 of these and they are nice little scopes. A ton of choices for less money but not the quality though many work well. Simmons for instance. Several quality options for $300 total.For $400 you can get a real nice Leupold 3-9x33 EFR. Rings will put you a few $$$ over. Be sure to check out the Trading Post Classifieds on rimfirecentral.com. I just picked up a like new Leupold 3-9x33EFR with extras for $335. Another one went this week for $325. No questions asked, transferable life time warranties. With rings you'd still be under $400. And with Leupold and somewhat with Nikon resale values hold up very well.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Ended up with a Nikon 3-9 with the bdc reticle. Seems like a good choice. Can't wait to finally get a chance to shoot this thing

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    You got a GOOD one. The light transfer through the Nikon is very good for the price. I have two of these--one on a Savage MK II and one on my Ruger 25-22. They are superb. Not a single issue in the 4+ years I've been using them.

I started with a BSA Sweet 22 and it would not hold zero.

Once you zero the scope at 50 yards (or whatever distance you will shoot most often), lift each turret knob and return it to zero. This brings the turret's index to the zero mark without changing the reticle's zero. That way you can make adjustments up or down later on and know where you started.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    You got a GOOD one. The light transfer through the Nikon is very good for the price. I have two of these--one on a Savage MK II and one on my Ruger 25-22. They are superb. Not a single issue in the 4+ years I've been using them.

I started with a BSA Sweet 22 and it would not hold zero.

Once you zero the scope at 50 yards (or whatever distance you will shoot most often), lift each turret knob and return it to zero. This brings the turret's index to the zero mark without changing the reticle's zero. That way you can make adjustments up or down later on and know where you started.
    I was reading about that feature and didn't really understand it. The way you put it makes much more sense.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The scope I really like for .22s (and others) in the lower cost range is the Midway BSA Tactical 4-14x scope.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/45...il-adjustments-first-focal-mrad-reticle-matte

The best thing I can say about it, is it seems it not made by BSA. It is very similar in specs (may be the same scope) as the Primary Arms 4-14x.

A really decent scope. I bought one for rimfire use but ended up shooting it in competition on top of one of my ARs and have also used it on top of every centerfire rifle I have built or bought to do initial setup before deciding on what scope I was actually going to buy for that rifle.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    That's a good scope you decided on. I have one. A set of Burris Signature Zee rings will set you up really nice. They have plastic inserts that will not mar your scope and will allow you to get extra adjustment if you need it.

Last edited:

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Here are a couple of value priced rimfire scopes I own. The first is a Redfield 2-7x rimfire scope and the second is a Weaver 4x rimfire scope. I have not looked for links to buy either of them in a while so I was very surprised to find that as of today (12/26/14) the Redfield is on sale for $102. That's a steal of a deal there. When I bought my Redfield on sale last year for $149 I thought I got a good deal. If I remember correctly they are usually priced at $189. Regarding the Weaver the cheapest price I see right now is $123 on Amazon. For me both of these scopes work fine and are of good quality.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/redfield-battlezone-tac-22-2-7x34mm-riflescope.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-rifle-scopes-rimfire-849430.html

I also own a couple of Leupold rimfire scopes. They are great and a bit pricey for most of my rimfires. I will not provide links as these are easy to find on the Leupold website. I will simply say they are very nice and priced to reflect their high quality.

Here are the scopes I won't buy any more. My first scopes were super cheap Simmons scopes. Like these:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/simmons-22-mag-3-9x32mm-rifle-scope-with-rings.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/simmons-22-mag-4x32mm-rifle-scope-with-rings.html

Now these are cheap. With the rebate that is happening until 12/31/14 you can get the variable 3-9 for less than the fixed 4x. So either scope is under $50 right now. If your budget requires you to go super cheap I recommend the fixed 4x over the variable one. Because of the simpler construction it is more likely to be reliable for you.

Good luck what ever you choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom