• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Anyone know of a lefty friendly mini spring assist, I'd like to getaway smaller sized one if possible. I know they have the thumb opener on both sides but it seems like as I try to open mine my index finger pushes against the lock button making it very trying to open.
    Maybe I could try the index finger flip open type if someone could recommend a decent one.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The majority are ambi these days, either with studs or a flipper, most pocket clips are reversible or 4 position. Most things Spyerco, Benchmade, or ZT/Kershaw are good, some have AO, but in most cases you won't miss spring assist with a good lock/opening design.

I would look at the Benchmade Griptilian or Presidio Ultra, both have a 3.5 and mini 3" version. The Spyderco manix2 is also a great choice, all are around $100, good materials and quality. All trade a spring AO for a lock that allows fast ambi opening and closing without touching the blade. They open just as easy or easier with the option to use studs/spyderhole or the lock, and close much easier, especially compared to a frame or liner lock. I'm a righty, but find my grip and manix both easy to work for me completely left handed if I am holding something with my right hand that needs to be cut.

Last edited:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Thanks guys, I almost hate to get away from a spring assist, I seem to need a one hand opener a lot.
    jr88, I'm going to look into both you entwined, thanks.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'm left handed. I only buy Spyderco. Spyderco's big thumb hole (ambi) is simple to work with one hand, eliminating the need for spring assist.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'm partial to the Benchmade 940/942 with axis lock. I use mine one-handed all the time, and it's small enough to carry and big enough to cut what I need to cut. The Axis lock is ambidextrous, and it opens and closes with the flick of the wrist.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If a bushing/bearing is set up right, you will be surprised how little you actually need AO, should be very little friction. Lock types like the Axis or spydie BB lock simply flop open or closed by pulling the lock back, my favorite setup, you don't need to touch the blade, or put your fingers in it's path, and they are truly ambi opening AND closing, unlike an AO with a right handed frame or liner lock.

Last edited:

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    My EDC is a Kershaw Scallion. I use the index finger opening feature - left or right handed.

Kershaw-Scallion-Frame-Lock-1620FL.jpg

4570inMD

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I don't like the clips, that will take a trip as soon as I get one.

Ok, in that case I would still recommend a leek, scallion, or chive by Kershaw. You can get them for a little over 30 dollars or even less on amazon and they are great knives from a great company. All three feature Kershaw's speed-safe assisted opening system which is fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1660-...8&qid=1418876356&sr=8-1&keywords=kershaw+leek

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1620-...d=1418876374&sr=8-1&keywords=kershaw+scallion

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1600-...&qid=1418876398&sr=8-1&keywords=kershaw+chive

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Emerson or Kershaw with the Wave Feature and reversible pocket clip. Faster by far than a switch blade or spring assist. Its opening as you pull it out. Use mine 10-20x per day.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    If a bushing/bearing is set up right, you will be surprised how little you actually need AO, should be very little friction. Lock types like the Axis or spydie BB lock simply flop open or closed by pulling the lock back, my favorite setup, you don't need to touch the blade, or put your fingers in it's path, and they are truly ambi opening AND closing, unlike an AO with a right handed frame or liner lock.
    I'll second this. I always carried Kershaw knives until a friend let me check out his Benchmade. I don't recall which model it was, but it had the axis lock without assisted openning. After seeing how easy that was to open and close one handed I bought my first Benchmade and since they are all I carry.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'll second this. I always carried Kershaw knives until a friend let me check out his Benchmade. I don't recall which model it was, but it had the axis lock without assisted openning. After seeing how easy that was to open and close one handed I bought my first Benchmade and since they are all I carry.

Often times the issue is AO is used as a crutch for cheap plastic or Teflon washers and a tight action instead of decent phosphor bronze and proper adjustment. Most of the time the spring is also the detent, which can be a bit soft, and not as secure as a detent ball, the springs can fail, but KAI has a good warranty and service. The Axis lock is a different animal, it's a Benchmade exclusive, and while some like Spyderco's BB lock come close, the axis is the easiest to use to flip open and closed. There are some that have assisted opening on an axis, but then you loose the ability to flip closed, and can't flip open easily by pulling the lock alone. Lots of people rave about Kershaw, and for a <$50 knife they are decent, but handle a better blade, and you won't go back to slippery and heavy all stainless construction, of flimsy plastic. They do have some decent G10 models, and some of their higher end stuff and ZT line is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom