• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have been shopping for a T/C Contender for quite a while now. A single shot pistol is on my short list. Recently I have seen a few Encore pistols. Is there an advantage of one over the other? Are the barrels interchangeable between the two? Thanks for your help.

fnfalsar48

Feb 27, 2011
    Virginia
    It's like an ar15 and ar10 which is better?

If you like higher power big bore pistol and rifle rounds the Encore is for you.
    If you like smaller rounds the Contender is for you.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    From memory, Encores can use Contender barrels, but not the other way around. Also, Encores shoot higher pressure rounds like the 30-06, whereas the Contender maxes out at 30-30.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Lots of misinformation above (not intentional).

The original Contender and G2 Contender chamber only lower pressure rounds and are similar in strength. While the G2 does resemble the Encore in looks, it in no way shares any compatibility with the Encore. The Encore can chamber the same lower-pressure rounds as the contenders, but barrels do not swap.

The original Contenders have smooth sides, either with a cougar engraving or in some cases, smooth sides. The G2s have raised "areas" on the sides of the frame. The G2 is the current model from TC; the Gen 1s are no longer available, except on the used market.

From my experience the Contenders have much better triggers and are quite a bit lighter. Some of the earlier original Contenders are quite hard to open to the point an "easy-open" frame was later developed by TC to solve this. The Encore is heavier, longer, and bulkier; the triggers are OK, but not close to that of the contender. If you prefer to shoot the higher-pressure rifle rounds (270, 30-06, 300 WM, etc), the Encore is the only option. .30-30, .45-70, .35 Rem, etc can be had in the Contender.

www.tcarms.com

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Lots of misinformation above (not intentional).

The original Contender and G2 Contender chamber only lower pressure rounds and are similar in strength. While the G2 does resemble the Encore in looks, it in no way shares any compatibility with the Encore. The Encore can chamber the same lower-pressure rounds as the contenders, but barrels do not swap.

The original Contenders have smooth sides, either with a cougar engraving or in some cases, smooth sides. The G2s have raised "areas" on the sides of the frame. The G2 is the current model from TC; the Gen 1s are no longer available, except on the used market.

From my experience the Contenders have much better triggers and are quite a bit lighter. Some of the earlier original Contenders are quite hard to open to the point an "easy-open" frame was later developed by TC to solve this. The Encore is heavier, longer, and bulkier; the triggers are OK, but not close to that of the contender. If you prefer to shoot the higher-pressure rifle rounds (270, 30-06, 300 WM, etc), the Encore is the only option. .30-30, .45-70, .35 Rem, etc can be had in the Contender.

www.tcarms.com

Thank you.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I remember a guy showing up at SCSC for an IHMSA Match, with a Contender, chambered in .30-40 Krag.
    What a monster!!

He got disqualified (by me), for breaking the 90° rule. (Muzzle went beyond 90° from downrange. His muzzle went very close to 180°!!!!)

I recall barrels being offered in .375 JDJ, for the Contender.

The .357 Herrett and .30 Herrett were no wimps, either.
    7mm IHMSA
    7mm Int'l Rimmed (necked down .30-30 case, or .necked down .375 Winchester case)
    7mm-08
    7x30 Waters

All on a Contender.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    The G2 has the gain of not having to break the action to open it if you cock it, then let the hammer down. Not a big issue at all for me, but some care.

I prefer the early Contenders myself. I like the lighter weight and it will handle the barrels I want it to take. IIRC 45-70 is an option for the Contender as is the above mentioned 30-30, then custom barrels which are hotter.

If you wanted it in rifle mode then maybe the Encore would make more sense if you wanted to shoot more powerful rounds. Would be heavier though.

Seems as if Contender barrels are getting a bit harder to find and more pricey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom