• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I respectfully suggest the your attorney is overly cautious and mistaken. The use of common areas is not unrestricted - ie I can't use the pool at 3am.

Worse case you can change the bylaws or covenants via vote of the membership.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Well it helps to be in charge :D

Yes it does :)

I respectfully suggest the your attorney is overly cautious and mistaken. The use of common areas is not unrestricted - ie I can't use the pool at 3am.

Worse case you can change the bylaws or covenants via vote of the membership.

This may very well be the case and I have an email into her about that aspect of "ownership".

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Time to do some searching :)

All valid points. Our Condominium association does own the property, and we members of that association are actual owners through it. I point this out by means that we recently tried to designate parking spots and our attorney informed us that we can't due to the fact that each person owns all common areas jointly. This is what got me thinking of the whole idea.

For those that are suggesting taking it to the BOD, I happen to be the president of it and have at least 2 other members that I believe would be on my side of this. It may be something that we can actually put into our rules.

If the association is a corporation or some other legal entity, owning the association does not mean that you own the property that the association owns. A shareholder of a corporation is a legal owner of the corp., but that does not mean the shareholder is a part legal owner of the corp's property.

Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    Sounds similar to the rules governing where you can place a sat or OTA antenna ("exclusive control" of an area).

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Don't forget to open the can of worms about State, County or City roads having what, 15 foot easement and Utility Company easement.

I'd personally never be inclined to live in an HOA, but not because of this thread.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Carry this..

Attachments

• dewalt nail gun.jpg
      dewalt nail gun.jpg
      28.3 KB · Views: 281

Mr H

Banana'd
    my neighbors would probably think I was a nutcase if I open carried a holstered pistol while cutting my grass...

If you do it right, there is a great chance no one will notice until much later. At that point, it's an educational opportunity.

I was speaking with someone else in MSI leadership in my driveway for nearly an hour, and it was never mentioned that I was carrying. Why?

A) He needs new glasses
    B) I'm not skinny enough
    C) I was "Doing it right"
    D) B and C

While either C or D would technically be correct ;) He went with C.

It's not about being flashy or obvious, but going about your business as normal... but you just happen to have a firearm on your hip.

Last edited:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I think we're onto something about Professional Contractors "Open carrying" cordless drills.

Ultimate poser, drop leg Ryobi 18V Cordless Drill, clip their MHIC license on their belt, walk around hardware stores with the two hand on front belt buckle stance with your head "on a swivel" and if anyone asks any questions, they're looking for "Loose screws."

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    If you do it right, there is a great chance no one will notice until much later. At that point, it's an educational opportunity.

I was speaking with someone else in MSI leadership in my driveway for nearly an hour, and it was never mentioned that I was carrying. Why?

A) He needs new glasses
    B) I'm not skinny enough
    C) I was "Doing it right"
    D) B and C

While either C or D would technically be correct ;) He went with C.

It's not about being flashy or obvious, but going about your business as normal... but you just happen to have a firearm on your hip.

Doing it right is a major point -- but MSI leadership is not exactly our opposition :)

But good point anyway :)

Mr H

Banana'd
    Doing it right is a major point -- but MSI leadership is not exactly our opposition :)

But good point anyway :)

My point there being, that I would have expected him to be more keen in picking it up.

Not that I am looking to be noticed... you know me better than that.

But, if someone such as that only catches it after an interval, it must not be that big a deal!!!

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    My point there being, that I would have expected him to be more keen in picking it up.

Not that I am looking to be noticed... you know me better than that.

But, if someone such as that only catches it after an interval, it must not be that big a deal!!!

See I do scan for weapons -- but only on persons I do not know and trust

BTW I found 2 poorly concealed firearms this last week -- so bad they had to be feds --- they were.. 3 feds and 2 clearly, thunderously, printing sidearms. I did scope them out and confirmed -- I saw one badge .. They did not seem to notice that I made them or they did not care -- hard to say.. :)

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    My.02 is that you do not own the HOA property, you mearly pay dues to have the right to use it for ingress/egress/utilities. I would think you could not carry on the common areas without it being expressly noted in the HOA docs.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Ok, so here it goes. The property is owned by "River Oaks Condominium Association" and we are all members of such. When speaking with our attorney regarding adding a rule about carrying of a handgun, she said that MD law would trump any rules that went against it. My question would then be this:

If it were written into the rules that residents that are legally allowed to possess and own a firearm are allowed to wear and carry a handgun concealed, wouldn't that be giving written permission to carry on the property and thereby meet the MD laws?

Just like going to a friends house that gave you written permission to carry on their property.

I know asking here is not "legal" but thought I'd use up these resources before spending association money on an attorney.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    youve ask a lawyer and didnt get the answer you wanted.. now ask the forum.. lol

either hire a diff (pro 2a) lawyer.. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom