• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tractor Boy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 8, 2008
    Severn/Greenbelt/Iraq
    Ok, so I got bored at annual training and decided to enhance my collection with some new toys from SOG....... a CZ.24 in 7mm, and 2 Polish P-64's......

Having not done any research into the ammo for the CZ.24 I now feel as if this was not exactly the smartest of things to aquire. I am unable to find any surplus ammo nor any "cheap" commercial shooting ammo for the 7mm Mauser, all that I can find is the SP hunting rounds which are over $1.00/rnd.

Does anyone know if any suplus ammo is available for these or where I can find FMJ rounds????

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Don't know of any sources for surplus 7x57 ammo. If you reload, that may be a better way to go. 7mm is one of those rounds that's probably cheaper to hand load.

Prvi Partizan makes factory ammo. It's about $13 box from Graf's when it's in stock. Graf's also sells Prvi cases for ~$35/100 and 140 gr bullets for ~ $15/100. That's a lot less than the buck a round stuff.
    Good luck.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    You can occasionally find some chilean surplus ammo on the market but that is becoming a collectible item as well. As far as I can tell, only some wood bullet and blanks are still available online.

If you want to go cheap, use PRVI or start reloading.

Tractor Boy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 8, 2008
    Severn/Greenbelt/Iraq
    I've also started noticing that I have a lot more choices if I hand load as weel as far as bullets, and powders....... anyone know the range and accuracy of these rifles???

I was thinking I may end up removing the rear sight and adding a scope that mounts in its place and use it for hunting

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    In my experience, Mausers are generally accurate rifles. I have some old 8mm Turks and Yugos that shoot very well. Of course the accuracy of yours depends on what it's been through, how well it's been taken care of, the condition of the barrel etc.

If it were me, I'd want to learn how accurate it is with iron sights before I put money into optics.

Tractor Boy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 8, 2008
    Severn/Greenbelt/Iraq
    In my experience, Mausers are generally accurate rifles. I have some old 8mm Turks and Yugos that shoot very well. Of course the accuracy of yours depends on what it's been through, how well it's been taken care of, the condition of the barrel etc.

If it were me, I'd want to learn how accurate it is with iron sights before I put money into optics.

Yeah, thats a given..... now that I know how much "shelf" ammo is I'm trying to decide whether to keep it as a hunting rifle or just sell it before it gives me a headache

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Most 7x57 ammo is downloaded to be safe in '93 and '95 Mausers. Not nesecarilly a bad thing, loads at that level make excellent minimal recoil big game rounds.
    In a '98 based rifle, or modern commercial rifle it can be loaded to equal or exceede 7-08 . In the early days of Metallic Silouhete (rifle) the ballistically interchangable 7-08 and 7x57 were considered superior at long range to .308s .
    Alas you are a generation too late for plentiful surplus ammo, so plan on loading with comtemporary brass.

Tractor Boy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 8, 2008
    Severn/Greenbelt/Iraq
    Most 7x57 ammo is downloaded to be safe in '93 and '95 Mausers. Not nesecarilly a bad thing, loads at that level make excellent minimal recoil big game rounds.
    In a '98 based rifle, or modern commercial rifle it can be loaded to equal or exceede 7-08 . In the early days of Metallic Silouhete (rifle) the ballistically interchangable 7-08 and 7x57 were considered superior at long range to .308s .
    Alas you are a generation too late for plentiful surplus ammo, so plan on loading with comtemporary brass.

7mm-08 you say................ so I could have an awesome long range sniping rifle for deer??? I dont think I wanna push the envelope of exceeding 7mm-08, from what I hear its plenty powerful. they both use the same bullet, correct?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I passed on a nice CZ 7x57 because of the lack of ammo. In my view the 7x57 guns are like the .303 Enfields, great rifles but most of the surplus ammo is gone and they are only going to get more expensive to feed.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    if ammo price is your concern then trade it in for one of the 8mm versions, there are a ton of em.

they're a little bit more pricey than SOG is selling the 7mm ones, but it sounds like you'd be a lot happier spending the extra $40 and being able to shoot 8mm.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3MausVZ24

i got one of these for christmas last year and it was in excellent condition with a great bore.

some people actually specifically prefer the 7mm models however because the round has quite the following, some people view it as a superior round to 8mm.

its a popular hunting round because its very flat shooting with great penetration.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I actually have a Ruger 77 in 7x57 because I like the ctg on purpose. In rifles of equal strength, the 7x57 has advantage over 7-08 due to larger case capacity.

For strictly cheap plinking with corrosive surplus, get an 8mm . For superior long range ctg using current production components viva la 7mm .

Actually for cheap plinking, buy as many cases of surplus ammo as you can afford now, eventually get rifle to match later.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I actually have a Ruger 77 in 7x57 because I like the ctg on purpose. In rifles of equal strength, the 7x57 has advantage over 7-08 due to larger case capacity.

For strictly cheap plinking with corrosive surplus, get an 8mm . For superior long range ctg using current production components viva la 7mm .

Actually for cheap plinking, buy as many cases of surplus ammo as you can afford now, eventually get rifle to match later.

That's not a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom