• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    No Palmer will be appealed to the DC Circuit first.

With DC taxpayer's footing the bill ... Someone should send the Mayor and City Council one of their own vanity plates.

Attachments

• DC tags.JPG
      DC tags.JPG
      30.1 KB · Views: 567

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    As I read it, as an uninformed schlub, the decision throws out DC's total ban on carry permits, but it won't stop them from enacting a may-issue scheme, which you can bet will be highly restrictive.

Also, the decision says "the Court grants Plaintiffs’ motion for summary judgment and enjoins Defendants from enforcing the home limitations of D.C. Code § 7-2502.02(a)(4) and enforcing D.C. Code § 22-4504(a) unless and until such time as the District of Columbia adopts a licensing mechanism consistent with constitutional standards enabling people to exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms."

Does that mean that DC is no-permit-required carry until they adopt a permitting plan?

"Unless and until such time as the District of Columbia adopts a licensing mechanism consistent with constitutional standards"

GREAT news here! But does anyone else find this specific mention and this specific verbiage troubling? There is certainly precedent for licensing in common practice. But has licensing ever in fact been specifically deemed to be constitutional?

Southwest Chuck

A Calguns Interloper.. ;)
    Jul 21, 2011
    CA
    Constitutional Carry in DC for residents and non-residents! Dream of dreams would that it go all the way to SCOTUS and be affirmed. We all get carry and court mandated National Resiprosity.

"Accordingly, the Court grants Plaintiffs’ motion for summary judgment and enjoins Defendants from enforcing the home limitations of D.C. Code § 7-2502.02(a)(4) and enforcing D.C. Code § 22-4504(a) unless and until such time as the District of Columbia adopts a licensing mechanism consistent with constitutional standards enabling people to exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms.4 Furthermore, this injunction prohibits the District from completely banning the carrying of handguns in public for self-defense by otherwise qualified non-residents based solely on the fact that they are not residents of the District."

RodeoJim

Mar 4, 2013
    AA County, DPRMd.
    And thus a generally dull Saturday has turned into one with cause to gaze upon that glimmer of liberty that exists in the minds of rational men. Those to whom euphoric and emotional driven agenda whoring is merely another's fancy and to where passion still exists in the pursuit of righteousness.

Well done. :party29:

Southwest Chuck

Jul 21, 2011
    CA

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Crap! Just realized this is District, saw the painting and thought it was SCOTUS.

Still very big news.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If/when that occurs, let's hope the Court responds in two weeks and not another five years. :innocent0

This is now on many folks' radar, including some media. I don't think they're going to be able to drag their feet on this one like Sculin did.

fingers crossed of course

ETA-funny is was issued in Syracuse NY. Maybe he lives there?

dlmarion

Feb 6, 2013
    Carroll County
    Its amazing to me that with this type of analysis, leveraging historical and recent precedent affirming that the 2nd amendment is an individual right, that it exists outside of the home and at the individuals location, that we are still having this debate. Even with the courts position that the right is not without limits and that it can be regulated it would seem to me that those regulations would have to allow most people to carry outside the home and that the regulations should define the small percentage of the population that is excluded from this right. Instead, in MD at least, the general rule is that you are denied this right and the exception allows you access to the 2nd amendment.

Southwest Chuck

Jul 21, 2011
    CA
    Its amazing to me that with this type of analysis, leveraging historical and recent precedent affirming that the 2nd amendment is an individual right, that it exists outside of the home and at the individuals location, that we are still having this debate. Even with the courts position that the right is not without limits and that it can be regulated it would seem to me that those regulations would have to allow most people to carry outside the home and that the regulations should define the small percentage of the population that is excluded from this right. Instead, in MD at least, the general rule is that you are denied this right and the exception allows you access to the 2nd amendment.

Have faith my friend, we'll get there ... :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom