• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Saw this in the local paper for those who don't subscribe:

There was a recent ad that states they are closing the shop by the end of March. this is the latest ad:

Moore's Gun Shop
    Cresaptown, MD

Close Out On AR-15s, .223 Cal. Colt Competition Rifle Mod CRX-16E $1,150

($100 Under Wholesale)

Cash Only, All sales final.

Some Buckets Of
    Merchandise @ 50% Off,

Built Your Own Bucket
    of Ammo (No Rimfire)

Below $100-10% Off
    $100-$200 15% Off
    Over $200-20% Off

Open Tue - Sat. Noon-5pm

I haven't been in so I cant tell you what is available.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Maybe not, but possible one of our WV or PA neighbors could use this. Might have to stop by and take a look see.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I found out they were closing yesterday. It was a great little shop and I'm sure they will be missed.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I'm not usually one to say things like this, but if they are closing because of financial reasons, then what goes around comes around. I have seen ammo that they purchased at Walmart Mart and then turned around and marked it up for a $30.00 profit. They also would not transfer handguns to anyone without the background coming back first when things were crazy last year. They made comments such as "Anyone transferring handguns without the background back first is breaking the law and will lose their FFL and end up in jail." One could not reason with them and explain to them that no laws were being broke. My buddy waited from April til August to get his handgun from them. I swore then that I would not spend anymore money there and I haven't

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Doobie, i understand where you are coming from. There was a lot of misinformation last year, and i dont know exactly know what I'd have done if I was a ffl at that point. We can debate all day about what the regs say. But, see, here is the thing that many of these guys got stuck on. There is such a thing as 'the letter' of the law and 'the spirit' of the law. In my business, I must constantly strive to make certain I am in compliance with both. So if the letter of the law says '8 days' , 8 days it should be. However, if the 'reasonable man' could understand that the background processes were impossible to be done in that timeframe, then however long it takes is how long it takes.

Ignoring the fact that MOM deliberately ordered the processes slowed down, the spirit of the law was not fufilled, that being a check of the systems in place. Since that was unworkable, i think the ffl entirely within his right to not release and as such jeopardize his license.

If the average reader thinks this kind of logic cant be real, talk to a practicing attorney for a few minutes.

With all that said, I had nothing but good service the times I shopped there and appreciated the education on my questions.

Either way, it is a loss of a FFL business, and the loss of several jobs here in the county.

Thanks for reading!

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    Good news that they are closing---One of the most ARROGANT gun people to ever sell weapons--from all the personal weapons NOT FOR SALE on display to "U Don't want Z caliber X is better " to not releasing handguns on time

Jim Moore it is time to Go !!

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Jim is hard to deal with. Dean and Brian are great people. I had no problems with 8 day releases their. I never saw Walmart ammo at a large markup there. I always managed to find good deals there. I will miss them. Supposedly the 28th is the last day.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Mixed opinions anyone ?

I don't think I ever visited there on any of my periodic ( and less frequent in recent years ) jaunts to that part of the world. Probably would have if I'd realized , and I have a liking for old time gun stores with cantankerous owners , and interesting personal collections on display.

But more generally , the LGS population of 2015 will be about half that of 2013. The survivors will be on the basis of a sucuessful business model reflecting the new realities. Reward/ punishment for early release in summer '13 will be far down the list.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    DadOSix I agree with your post and the right of dealers. I understand that last year was a sticky situation for FFLs. It just bothered me that when one tried to discuss what was going on with the backgrounds, I was basically told I didn't know what the law was and that FFLs who were releasing handguns on day 8 or 10 would be losing their license and going to jail. Its the fact that I want to give my money and business to someone that I feel is doing everything that they can legally to support and uphold the 2nd Amendment. I didn't get that from them. Mooseman about 6 years ago Walmart sold Federal 223 50gr Hollow point in 200 round bulk packs for $44.96. I bought some every pay day. When Walmart Mart no longer had any, I tried ordering it elsewhere. I was told at the time that it was a Walmart exclusive. Stopped in Moore's one day and there was some of the same bulk packs that I had been buying at Walmart...except it was $75.00. Did they buy it at WalMart and resell at higher prices or did they get hooked up with the supplier of Walmart? I dont know.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Doobie,

I hear you. I hate getting told I don't know what I'm talking about. I'd have loved to spend some more $ there, he had a sweet Judge there. Perfect for my business but I didnt pony up for the HQL yet.

DadOSix

Apr 9, 2013
    I agree with the personal gun collection comment from above but I was always treated well. Keep in mind they were overwhelmed with regulated firearms apps in 2013. I personally had to call MSP in front of Dean to see if my lowers were not disapproved. Dean did the paperwork in front of me when MSP faxed the documents. The fault lies on MSP. Period.
    Message me if youre interested in guns and ammo from two local dealers near Allegany Co. Great prices

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Moore was to that shop what the French are to France. I really would have enjoyed my visit were it not for the French.

Alexp08

May 16, 2013
    wow im disappointed to see all the hostility. I didn't know they were closing down and im sad to hear it. they were a great shop with great people.

Terpfan76

Mar 23, 2013
    Western Maryland
    I never had any issues there and all of us in Allegany County lose in this deal. Dean and Brian treated me great, no complaints. Dean spoke as though he was looking at opening his own shop at some point. I sure hope so.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I never had any issues there and all of us in Allegany County lose in this deal. Dean and Brian treated me great, no complaints. Dean spoke as though he was looking at opening his own shop at some point. I sure hope so.

Dean is working on it, just a few more things to do.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Thanks! That is good to hear! Now when my hql comes, i can break it in with Dean.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom