• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

So I was att he Poolsville day gathering yesterday, and had a ball watching the parade, looking at the car and motorcycle show, vendors along the street. We, the family consisting of my better half and sis-in-law and Bro-in-law, went to chow down. Plenty pf good food on hand, with BBQ tents, Crab cakes, hot dogs, funnel cakes. There's always that something about the smell of meat cooking on the fire that is not to be denied. Some good BBQ for lunch, and then a kid goes waling by why a funnel cake. Bo-in-law decides he has t have a funnel cake, so we all decide to get one to share. Part of being senior citizens is cutting down on food and sharing stuff to keep the weight off and stay halfway fit.

So my better half gets a funnel cake right out of the hot oil, and I take out my Northwoods stockman to slice it into quarters. Like eating a super fresh still hot doughnut, grab. I'm wiping off the stockman's main blade and this older guy sitting at the picnic table next toys comes over to ask about the knife. He says we don't see many old fashioned knives anymore, so I hand him the stockman and he looks it over carefully, then takes out a very old Case Jackknife from his pocket. The bone handle was once jigged, but the jigging now as a faint pattern in the bone. The carbon steel blades were a medium gray in color, except for a bright ribbon of sharp edge running the length of the blade.

We talked for a bit, and both agreed that the traditional pocket knife seems to be a dead or dying thing. I've always wondered why?

Aside from one other poster, I never see anyone with a old time pocket knife threes days. It seems like the thing for everyone to carry is one of the modern tactical knives that is a weapon first and Pocket knife second.

Anyone else carry a traditional pocket knife here?

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    Yep....I carry an Old Timer 34 OT and have for years (as in pre made in china). I don't like stainless blades and don't think they hold as good of an edge.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I carry a mother of pearl scaled and silver bolstered Buck when I am dressed up. It was signed (with a hand engraver) by the buck bros when the San Diego factory closed

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Tradition is a good thing, but utility tends to rule when pocket space is limited. I'd be lost without my Benchmade; the one-hand flickopen and locking blade is exactly what I need, 99% of the time.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I don't own any modern knives, everything is traditional from Buck, Case, Great Eastern, USA made Schrade's, always on the look out at flea markets for nice vintage knives.
    The new made Great Eastern Cutlery knives are works of art and very functional with a huge variety of styles. Just ordered another one Friday.
    I'm the same when it comes to firearms, almost everything is wood and steel and most are vintage.

Attachments

• IMG_2531.jpg
      IMG_2531.jpg
      63.1 KB · Views: 242
    • IMG_2522.jpg
      IMG_2522.jpg
      63.4 KB · Views: 238
    • IMG_2487.jpg
      IMG_2487.jpg
      56 KB · Views: 240

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Yep, I own one "modern" knife I keep in my range bag. But every day of the year I carry old fashioned Case, Buck, Puma, or the freebie I got from the NRA with my initial membership. The knives keep my hankie or bandana company in my front pocket.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I carry a Spyderco of one flavor or another in my back pocket but I keep a 4 blade old jigged bone handled Camillus in my front pocket . I collect old Case, Camillus and Ulster knives .

Ill throw some pictures up when I get home .

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    I'll admit I do genuinely like one-handed operation of most modern knives purely for convenience. Often I'm trying to hold something in my left hand and get the knife out to cut it with my right. It would be a nightmare trying to juggles things to open two-handed. And I can't carry a fixed blade concealed (or at all at work), so it's just what I have to work with.

That said I have two very dear favorites that are old style slipjoints. One is a Schrade "doctor's knife" with ironwood scales. Special to me because I trained as a EMT and still volunteer from time to time. The other is my sailor's knife which has a marlinspike and shackle wrench, and has dark wood scales, which I got from a guy on the Eastern Shore who's shop is now long gone. This is my go-to anytime I am working around or with rope or lines (I'm not just a knife-knut, but a knot-knut as well).

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    My Dad lost his Case back when I was 20 years old. I went out and bought him a new one. When I gave it to him, you'd of thought I handed him a million dollars. He carried that knife until his health failed him. I now have that knife in a safe and it will forever be passed down in my family. I know it's not the old one from WWII, but he loved his Case knives.

Jim Smith

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I have several Great Eastern, Tidioute Cuttlery, Queen Steel, Case, and Buck. Then again I'm from the geographical area that they are manufactured and knew one of the knifesmiths before he passed.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    My personal reason is I'm a serrated fan and none of these old knives come with serrated blades.

There is no denying their beauty though. I won a karma through Ray a while ago its a Winchester imitation of a case knife and we literally use it everyday for mail, packages, small kitchen stuff, cutting strings, and normal household knife stuff. It actually stays on my leather coffee table thing.

Also Augie that things pretty as hell

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Thanks, it is a pretty knife, GEC did a good job of matching the scales. I really like this knife, being a lock back it opens easy, if there is one negative with GEC's larger knives is that they can have a pretty heavy pull.

Attachments

• IMG_2624.jpg
      IMG_2624.jpg
      71.9 KB · Views: 89

cb51

Thanks, it is a pretty knife, GEC did a good job of matching the scales. I really like this knife, being a lock back it opens easy, if there is one negative with GEC's larger knives is that they can have a pretty heavy pull.

That's always been a big pet peeve of mine; unmatched stag. Really get me when they put a thick knurly slab on one side, and a skinny one on the other. Case has been mildly notorious for this. Or overly thick stag on both sides that is like a brick in the pocket.

As I get older, I find myself avoiding heavy pulls on pocket knives. Bear trap back springs and arthritis don't mix well. I find myself being drawn to friction folders. I have a Sardinian resolza that I love, and I'm thinking of trying out the Svord peasant knife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom