• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    We will. It may take a couple of years. The MSP is going to have to change how they do things. They don't have the man-power to continue with their current permitting scheme. Also, once G&S is gone, the only thing they can use to reject you is a criminal history/severe mental illness (that's another story). This is a fundamental right, and the government can only restrict is in very specific circumstances. There will be no need for an interview. You can be a smelly mountain man who is abrasive and dislikes the police, but if you have no criminal history or serious mental illness (very narrowly defined), they can't keep you from getting a permit.

Well sure it will may come to that soon. I meant you will not see a day in MD where ccw's will just show up in that mail just because we asked for one. Their will still be some type of approval process.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well sure it will may come to that soon. I meant you will not see a day in MD where ccw's will just show up in that mail just because we asked for one. Their will still be some type of approval process.

The approval process with be in the form of a background check, then the permit will show up in the mail.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    I think when G&S go away you will still see the MSP drag you into a face to face with them where they will decide it your a stable person. I not saying its right or wrong, I'm just saying I bet this will still go on.

I wouldn't bet on it. They don't drag you in for a meet-n-greet to buy a handgun. Should be about the same process as a handgun purchase.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I think when G&S go away you will still see the MSP drag you into a face to face with them where they will decide it your a stable person. I not saying its right or wrong, I'm just saying I bet this will still go on.

Logistically, they cannot. This will also be another court case. How does the state OBJECTIVELY determine who is a suitable person? If this process cannot be applied to the 1A or 4A, it cannot be applied to the 2A.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Duh, the MSP is doing that now.

Just to make the process as cumbersome as possible. :sad20:

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I wouldn't bet on it. They don't drag you in for a meet-n-greet to buy a handgun. Should be about the same process as a handgun purchase.

Well I hope your right. But I say, woulda, shoulda, coulda. You will have a face to face if you want a ccw in this state and it will not be coming in the mail. If for nothing less then you will have to go to where ever so they can take your picture again to put it on your ccw card you need to carry anytime you have your gun on you.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    Well I hope your right. But I say, woulda, shoulda, coulda. You will have a face to face if you want a ccw in this state and it will not be coming in the mail. If for nothing less then you will have to go to where ever so they can take your picture again to put it on your ccw card you need to carry anytime you have your gun on you.

Not sure about that either. They've already got the process in place to process a permit request. When you take away the G&S (which takes away the interview), it's not much different than a handgun check.

MSP don't even accept finger print cards anymore...everything is electronic.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I was just pointing out that just because G&S is going away the process is not going away.

Again, it will have to. MSP would have to devote far too much manpower to calling references, personal interviews etc. It will need to become like other States.

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    Just finished my FTF interview at the GB Barracks. The trooper was very polite and friendly. He verified my drivers license. He then said you answered no to all question except the one about Military service, I said Yes Sir. He asked me which branch of service, then dates of service. He then asked me about firearms training, I told him I had training in the Military, have taken NRA courses, been members of clubs over the years and I have the certificates of completion. He then asked me when was the last time I had any training, I said last Sep for my Utah Permit. I told him I have 3 permits and offered to show them to him, he politely said, no need. I went on to tell him I try to get to the range at least 1 a month to stay familiar and in practice.

He then asked me if I was married, I said no but I do have a GF I live with. He said, I only need to talk to a spouse if you were married. I said okay.

he verified that I wanted my permit for "Self Protection and all Lawful Purposes" and I said yes sir.

He did not ask me about my boss or want to talk to him, but he did ask me how many years I worked there.

He did say he would be calling my references today and I should let them know so they didn't worry. I said I would.

He told me my back round check was clean and that he was done! I said I hope so! I have a TS Clearance and my well being counts on me being a citizen in good standing! He thanked me for being on time and I thanked him for his service. He then shook my hand and I left.

He did not ask me about if/how many guns I own.

The main amount of time was about spent talking about any training I have had to date and verifying my answers on Page 7 of the application.

The whole thing took about 10-15 minutes.

Very nice,very professional. Glad to have Troopers like that on the force.

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    Two of my references were just called! approx 1 hour and 20 minutes after my interview.

All he asked them was, do they know of any alcohol or drug abuse and do they have any issues with me getting a permit and/or carrying a weapon and they said No and No.

Assume he will call my 3rd reference as well.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Ok. Had my interview which was different than 5.7....

My interviewer asked questions in such a way that made it feel I must prove I am a law abiding citizen rather than assuming I am one. Ok..maybe that's part of their job especially when interrogating suspects except I committed no crimes.....They should not make us feel like we are doing something wrong. Period.

At the end he asked if I had any questions. I asked "what was next" and the interviewer stated that those apps outside of G/S will be processed to a point and held pending the state's appeal. He told me it could be months.

What was weird was that he stated "well...I will need to start on your investigation" I found that odd since he already called my references and already pulled my "blank' criminal record (I saw the paperwork on his desk with my name on it..it was a computer printout..could have been NICS or MD state criminal check). What else could he possibly need to "investigate"?

At the time I didn't think to ask about the 90 day turnaround (is that stipulated on the books? or is the turnaround actually at the discretion of MSP)

Based on the tone of the interview this guy was definitely not a fan of 2A or CCW (at least not for non-leo's).

Vendicator

Nov 5, 2010
    My interview is scheduled for tomorrow. So far, all dealings with the officer have been professional and very pleasant. I hope it stays that way. I will let everyone know how it goes! I am being very optimistic that when the ruling comes down we will all get our permits. However, I am also taking everything with a grain of salt.

I am in Harford County, so I think the troopers/police around here are a bit more friendly when it comes to 2A matters.

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    Based on the tone of the interview this guy was definitely not a fan of 2A or CCW (at least not for non-leo's).

Or maybe, he might be one of the guys that is not happy about geting alot of "extra" work dumped on him, so he is less than pleasant because after all, it is your fault!:D

I am sure (like any where), there are some who don't like it when their routine gets changed and they have to step up and do additional work over what their norm is. Agree though, you should not be treated anyway but nicely and with respect.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    What else could he possibly need to "investigate"?

At the time I didn't think to ask about the 90 day turnaround (is that stipulated on the books? or is the turnaround actually at the discretion of MSP)

Well I don't know where they might look but they have to try and find anything that they could deny you for.

As far as 90 days. It says that they must act on your application within 90 days. it never says that it must be completed within 90 days. They have obviously acted on your so now they can take as long as they want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom