• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigred

Ultimate Member
    Nov 18, 2009
    Middle River
    Definitely a nice touch by CMMG with their parts kit. It should be pretty obvious what every part is, but some of them can get a little confusing if one is unfamiliar with the platform.

I might have to start recommending these to friends looking to build their first.

You dont wanna make it to easy. They will build the whole thing and still wont know anything about it.

Steve973

Enthusiast
    Feb 7, 2012
    Howard County
    You dont wanna make it to easy. They will build the whole thing and still wont know anything about it.

I'm not sure about that. You have to know what parts to put where, and when you assemble it and check that the fit and function is good, you will have a great understanding of how it works. The lower receivers of these guns are far from complicated, but creating confusion over the parts would be quite unnecessary. The way that CMMG packaged the kit also allows for easy inventory to ensure that everything is included. Still, if someone is unconscious while building it and doesn't get a complete idea of how it works, at least that's a step better than purchasing an entirely assembled rifle.

bigred

Ultimate Member
    Nov 18, 2009
    Middle River
    I was just being a smart ass, the last LPK I bought was a cmmg. I'll admit it was a lot easier then dumping out the pile of parts from the spikes kit on my first build. When I did the first build and opened the package I thought WTF.

Steve973

Enthusiast
    Feb 7, 2012
    Howard County
    I got to finish my build tonight, minus optic, but the result is pretty cool.

Removed the bolt and attached front pin:
    359zmfp.jpg

Inserting new nickel boron bolt:
    fo0z7m.jpg

Attached upper front pin, installed Magpul backup sight:
    2v9c42h.jpg

Installed bottom rail and Magpul grip:
    2m6uyrd.jpg

And here's the money shot:
    2vhvsq9.jpg

Steve973

Enthusiast
    Feb 7, 2012
    Howard County
    I did some testing with .223 snap caps. At first, the operation was not super great; either the first one would load and eject easily by using the charging handle, and the second one would be tough ejecting, or vice versa. By "tough to eject", I mean that I'd have to pull rather hard on the charging handle. I've done this a bunch of times, though, and it's becoming easier and more consistent. I don't know if this is normal or if this is indicative of trouble that I'll have at the range.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I haven't been following your thread, so let me say, "Good job on your first". I recall how intimidated I was the first time. After several builds, dumping a bag of parts into a bowl won't be a big deal to you. You'll know where each part goes, why, what it does and how to put it in place.

I know nothing about the quality of your upper or your snap caps. New uppers do need breaking in. Running snap caps through an AR by hand is not the same as live fire at the range. If it was my build? I'd lube my factory built upper, find some quiet range time and begin to sight it in with live rounds.

Good luck and we hope to see targets soon.

Steve973

Enthusiast
    Feb 7, 2012
    Howard County
    I am a bit of a geek, so the assembly was definitely exciting, but not very intimidating. I did have it in the back of my mind that I didn't want to screw anything up, but I wasn't too worried. The more intimidating aspect was trying to select the right parts while having zero experience with this super cool platform.

I will be trying it out at the range on Saturday morning. I will see how it compares to the only other carbine I know (as of yet), my Beretta Cx4 Storm.

Steve973

Enthusiast
    Feb 7, 2012
    Howard County
    I went to the AGC range today and tried it out. Man, it was really, really fun! I had one problem with a bent round, but it was because I didn't seat the magazine properly, so it was definitely operator error. Other than that, my new AR is like a tack hammer. I felt pretty silly because I didn't have a sight tool, and I didn't have a spotting scope, so I didn't get to sight it in. Today was more about the fun of sending rounds downrange. I'll have the necessary equipment next time...

bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    Great looking build!

I'm about to start my own first build and am leaning towards PSA gear so it's good to see another amateur builder had a good experience with them.

I believe I'm going to order the 16" M4A1 Rifle kit and their basic AR15 lower. With shipping and the transfer fee, it should end up around $700. I'll probably only shoot it 5-6 times a year at the range but if I start shooting it more, I may considering installing an upgraded lpk down the road.

Steve973

Enthusiast
    Feb 7, 2012
    Howard County
    That sounds like a great plan. I am sure that you will be pleased with PSA! Instead of an expensive/upgraded lower parts kit, you'll probably enjoy some sort of red dot optic much more.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just a basic Spike's or other maker's LPK will be good for your first time, get some time in with it first, modify later. :thumbsup:

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    Did you use any special tools other than a castle nut wrench to put this together? I'm collecting the final pieces to start my first lower build and I'm kinda nervous lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom