• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Very cool, but I could just get an existing lever gun in .357 magnum or .44 magnum for a lot less money.

But, hey I get the allure of something unique so don't look to me to be the voice of reason. :D

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Very cool, but I could just get an existing lever gun in .357 magnum or .44 magnum for a lot less money.

But, hey I get the allure of something unique so don't look to me to be the voice of reason. :D

Yup, but I do need to point out that the conversion includes a short-stroke kit. If you've ever watched some of the fastest cowboy action shooters and wonder how they work their lever guns to almost semi-auto speeds, they're using short-stroked rifles.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Interesting. But 1 there is nothing wrong with rimmed cartridges and 2. when you start talking that kind of money you might as well go with a Big Horn conversion or something.

Someday when I join the other half of the economy Ill get this in .500 S&W

http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog/1/big-horn-armory-products/

The 20" Marlin holds 10 rounds of .44 Mag, how many rounds of the shorter cartridges will it hold? Plus have you priced .44 Mag ammunition lately? Or .45 Colt, for that matter.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

I do. 10mm/40 S&W are still substantially cheaper to reload versus .44 Mag/Special. I reload for my cowboy guns (44-40, 32-20, .45 Colt) and in the long run, I'd get the money back shooting the shorter rounds within a year of cowboy shooting with the .40 versus the older cartridges. Plus I wouldn't have to worry about losing brass as I can find range pickups of .40 brass all day long. I have yet to find and 44-40 or 32-20 brass at any local range that wasn't mine.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I do. 10mm/40 S&W are still substantially cheaper to reload versus .44 Mag/Special. I reload for my cowboy guns (44-40, 32-20, .45 Colt) and in the long run, I'd get the money back shooting the shorter rounds within a year of cowboy shooting with the .40 versus the older cartridges. Plus I wouldn't have to worry about losing brass as I can find range pickups of .40 brass all day long. I have yet to find and 44-40 or 32-20 brass at any local range that wasn't mine.

You have a point there. But when running against most rimmed pistol calibers, you are really comparing against .38 hots which are not expensive to reload and brass is cost effective.

Its an interesting thought.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've read about conversions of Winchesters to .45acp dating back to the 1960's , and no reason not to think they didn't happen long before that. Seemed to be more writeups of gunsmith's playing with things of their own curiosity/ amusement that something cost effective for more thn a handfull of clients.

So yeah , certainly possble. If someone were already going to spend half that much for short stroke and action job , it's a semi-free country if they want to spend the extra $ for cl conversion too. But I see a naarrow niche - serious CAS gamers, who thumb their noses at history and tradition.

If someones bottom line is a (semi-auto) pistol cal carbine for fun and prctical considerations , a normal PCC fills the need cheaper and more easily. If the bottom line was 10mm performnce from a lever action , then .38-40WCF from a gun capable of M92 level loads.

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    My first AR build I was going to do .223 but I switched and went with 10MM. Chrono'd the joe anybody pistol loads from the local store, it spits out a 180 grain at 1435 fps, book says out of a pistol, 1100 fps. Have 10 rounds loaded, 180 grain, 11 grains of blue dot, can't wait to chrono these and check the pressure. With pistol loads it makes hardly any noise at all, I call it my AR tommy gun. Its cool, comes with an 18 round mag.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    You figure you have what 3-400 In the marlin. They can be found for less. 1200 for the work isnt too bad. I would drop 1600 for a lever gun in 10 mm. The big horns are 2500. I am very much considering that too. I WILL eventually own the 10. More than limely, I will own both one of these days.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My first AR build I was going to do .223 but I switched and went with 10MM. Chrono'd the joe anybody pistol loads from the local store, it spits out a 180 grain at 1435 fps, book says out of a pistol, 1100 fps. Have 10 rounds loaded, 180 grain, 11 grains of blue dot, can't wait to chrono these and check the pressure. With pistol loads it makes hardly any noise at all, I call it my AR tommy gun. Its cool, comes with an 18 round mag.

Try some 135gr bullets, 2200+ fps out of a carbine.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

You have a point there. But when running against most rimmed pistol calibers, you are really comparing against .38 hots which are not expensive to reload and brass is cost effective.

Its an interesting thought.
    MDS rocks. Where else can 2 Jimbob's talk guns and ammo? :D

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom