• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Paranoia smells so good. I'm overwhelmed. Hide the dogs? Jack wagons...

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Someone needs to post that video about not talking to the police about anything, ever, even if you're innocent.

I'd have shut the door in the mans face mumbling something about a warrant.

Not even the weather? Or slurpees? Or your mom?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Someone needs to post that video about not talking to the police about anything, ever, even if you're innocent.

I'd have shut the door in the mans face mumbling something about a warrant.

If nobody talked to the police when they are investigating a crime, how would that go?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Had a visit from a gentleman who produced Balto. Co. police det. ID and ATF ID and stated he was investigating a missing AR15 from a local gun range. He had the paperwork from the gun range from when my wife and I visited and she rented a .45 so thats how he got our info. He claimed the AR15 was a rental that had "gone missing" since the last ATF inspection and they were interviewing everyone who had been to the range. He asked about me working for the railroad and if I went cross country or just stayed local, thats when a red flag went up. The gentleman left and I called the Balto Co police who told me to call Anne Arundel Co police and report it which I did and an officer came out but couldn't do too much since my dumb ass forgot the guys name. So then I called the ATF and after talking to a couple agents and getting a call back I was told it was one of their task force officers and he is conducting an investigation but they weren't sure on what. Then I called the gun range and the guy who answered the phone didn't know anything a missing AR15 but he'd have the owner call me back which he did however he claims he knows nothing about a missing AR15 and he has no idea why this detective was at my house.

So no one knows why this guy has my info or what he's investigating only that he is a cop and he is working with the ATF and unless the gun range owner is lying there's no missing AR15.

Is it just me or does this sound fishy to anyone else? Or am I being paranoid?

Dude, that is WAY past fishy. for starters, how can one LEO have both Balto. Co. police det. ID and ATF ID? And any LEO that I ever heard of that is conduction an investigation always leaves their card just in case you think of anything you would like to add and needed to contact them.

Fishy, that was way past fishy.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Dude, that is WAY past fishy. for starters, how can one LEO have both Balto. Co. police det. ID and ATF ID? And any LEO that I ever heard of that is conduction an investigation always leaves their card just in case you think of anything you would like to add and needed to contact them.

Fishy, that was way past fishy.

Please see:
    ATF task force deputises police officer with federal powers since they are so shorthanded.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Had a visit from a gentleman who produced Balto. Co. police det. ID and ATF ID and stated he was investigating a missing AR15 from a local gun range. He had the paperwork from the gun range from when my wife and I visited and she rented a .45 so thats how he got our info. He claimed the AR15 was a rental that had "gone missing" since the last ATF inspection and they were interviewing everyone who had been to the range. He asked about me working for the railroad and if I went cross country or just stayed local, thats when a red flag went up. The gentleman left and I called the Balto Co police who told me to call Anne Arundel Co police and report it which I did and an officer came out but couldn't do too much since my dumb ass forgot the guys name. So then I called the ATF and after talking to a couple agents and getting a call back I was told it was one of their task force officers and he is conducting an investigation but they weren't sure on what. Then I called the gun range and the guy who answered the phone didn't know anything a missing AR15 but he'd have the owner call me back which he did however he claims he knows nothing about a missing AR15 and he has no idea why this detective was at my house.

So no one knows why this guy has my info or what he's investigating only that he is a cop and he is working with the ATF and unless the gun range owner is lying there's no missing AR15.

Is it just me or does this sound fishy to anyone else? Or am I being paranoid?

Remember that many have been arrested for impersonating a LEO.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    OP, it sounds like you were able to verify that he was legit via contacting the ATF field office so I wouldn't be overly concerned about the questions he asked in regards to your work travels. He's contacting you in reference to an investigation so it would be prudent on his behalf to gather information from anyone he contacts.

As far as the range owner not knowing anything, I suspect most business owners would decline to acknowledge an investigation being conducted by the ATF with customers.

You didn't commit a crime, you were just part of a paper trail that the investigator is following up on and you answered/interacted with him accordingly.

If you happen to have similar interactions in the future, try to remember to ask for a business card and/or write his information down while he's still there. (Sometimes tough to remember when you're caught off guard.)

This.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Caught off guard, I probably would have done just as you did.

Having thought about it, I would ask the official to continue the interview at the local police station's conference room and coordinate the scheduling with my criminal attorney.

I would also record the entire conversation. If consent was denied, there would be no interview.

I would ask more questions than I answered until satisfied I was not the target of the investigation.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    OP, it sounds like you were able to verify that he was legit via contacting the ATF field office

Well I don't think that it was really verified. The ATF contact he talked to just said it "must Be" one of the task force guys from the description he gave them. But they did not know of any investigation like it in his area it sounds like. The ATF are not going to tell him that it sounded like an impostor. There is nothing the OP said that would make me say do not be concerned about this.

Jackalope

The reason he gave for talking to everyone who had been to the range was that the range's rental paperwork was "a mess". He said that many times they showed a person renting a gun but did not list what they rented only hand gun, or rifle. So they have no idea who rented the AR15 in the past month or so and walked off with it or if it is an inside job.

The ATF did all me back and was able to tell me it is one of there guys.

I'm not too worried as I haven't done anything illegal nor do I have any illegal guns alcohol, tobacco or explosive's.

Just thought it odd is all.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Sounds like you were in the wrong place at the wrong time..............

otherwise just sounds like the agent was doing his job.

EDIT: the last stament was made without my tin foil hat on......

Places hat back on.....

Sounds like your going to be part of the Bourne Identity. I know that right now you feel as though you have no formal martial arts training but thats due to the memory erasing software that was loaded in your anus last you while you were "experminenting" in college. Have no fear your skills will carry you though when the black ties show up. In 3 days time you will recieve a package containing a folder with your mission objective, a sig226 with a homemade supressor, two LAW rockets, and one watch (it's just a normal watch stop screwing with it you dummy)

BUT BE FORWARNED!!! You have one weakness that you must keep under control. Blonde women in black dresses will be the death of you if can not control your urges.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom