• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The only real advantage that going to a pistol caliber brings is reduced recoil. Given that 5.56 recoil is not really all that bad, and you can't take advantage of the reduced recoil with full auto or burst fire... there's just not a lot of point.

Now, if you could do it with radically reduced weight, that's something worth considering. That's why I actually think "Glock in a stock" has some merit. The KPOS on a G19 is 3 pounds. That is damned light, and it's one reason I think Gabe Suarez should have looked harder at them for his "SMG as EDC" concept. Also another reason to love the Sub-2000.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    The only real advantage that going to a pistol caliber brings is reduced recoil. Given that 5.56 recoil is not really all that bad...

A 9mm AR SBR has more recoil than a 5.56 AR SBR, not less. Even a 9mm Sub2K recoils more than a 5.56 AR.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Here is my Glock 19, 34, Sub2k combo. You can have enormous fun at the range with these guns and one type of magazine.

And yes, the Sub2K does have more recoil than 5.56. To me it feels similar to an AKM.

-Jim

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1337199091.011690.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1337199091.011690.jpg
      72.4 KB · Views: 224

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    A 9mm AR SBR has more recoil than a 5.56 AR SBR, not less. Even a 9mm Sub2K recoils more than a 5.56 AR.
    I'm not sure I agree that the Sub-2k recoils more. If there's more, it's not by much. There's a lot less blast, to be sure, so it's a little easier to stay on target. In any event, yes, that is just one more strike to the whole pistol caliber SBR concept, unless you use a non-straight-blowback action.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    How are you liking the Osprey Kingjames? I take mine out every weekend. Starting the process on an Octane9 HD this Saturday. Its gonna live inside the forend of my 9mm AR SBR.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I love my Osprey! I regret not buying one earlier. I've really learned how wonderful sub sonic ammo is.
    That Octane is going to be super sweet inside the free float rail, can't wait to see it.

-Jim

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    :popcorn:

Thanks guys, really appreciate your input. I am open for suggestions and your advise had lead me to new direction. (not necessarily a good thing, now I want to buy more stuff.... LOL)

A little about my philosophy on my "budget" Howe's "Cheap-ness":

I am the type of guy just couldn't spend over 1k on a pistol (Sig, HK, Wilson...etc), when a basic and effective glock/MP is on sale for 500 with change. I also treat Stamps/NFA as tax, its like the 6% sales tax we had to pay, so it normally does not go into my calculation. To me, SBR a glock pistol is 500+200. SBR a MP5 is 4500+200.... Spend 200 to NFA a 4500 item is the right math, but I would go with glock... that's just me cheap in my own funny way! :D

I got a bunch of glock magazines, they are reliable and affordable. I like to be able share mags between primary and secondary firearm. Also I am just cheap and don't want to buy a bunch of the Colt style 9mm mag ......

I like to use my M2 on another firearm so naturally 9mm SBR came into the picture. Machine pistol, such of Uzi or Mac 10 are nice, but they are too much of a single hand operated pistol with stock than a SBR with a forward grip for control.

That's why RONI make sense to me, just buy a kit and upgrade your existing firearm, muti-use my hand gun and reduce cost of buying another firearm!! ........................ its cool, but just too much like a toy. (OK politically guns are not toys!! Its just something us adults to make other adults to go WOW....)

For real.... 9mm AR SBR is the right thing to do. If I want to spend the money, get it done all the way. (Except the Cheap-ness float in my blood, plus wife screaming I spend her iPad3 money on something I barely use twice a month.)

See the dilemma??

So at the end, I might just buy the damn S2K to settle in between the "Real Deal AR 9mm" and "The Cool Toy RONI"......

Ok... now the discuss continues.......

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If you are going to do it, do it right. I am doing a 9mm SBR AR on a DDLES lower. I have been slowly buying quality parts for over a year. I buy a part or two each month. My wife never notices what I buy. Should be done in just a couple of months. I'll have EXACTLY what I want. Take your time. You are likely stuck with your NFA weapon for life.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'd really recommend thinking twice about the RONI. CAA's reputation is simply not very good. Mako's KPOS chassis is made by FAB Defense, whose stuff is used extensively by the IDF. CAA simply copies it... and not always well.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    If you are going to do it, do it right. I am doing a 9mm SBR AR on a DDLES lower. I have been slowly buying quality parts for over a year. I buy a part or two each month. My wife never notices what I buy. Should be done in just a couple of months. I'll have EXACTLY what I want. Take your time. You are likely stuck with your NFA weapon for life.

Sound advice.

In the end you'll have 6-8 months to acquire all the pieces you need before your stamp shows up. That's plenty of time to spread the purchases out over a large time period and you'll end up with what you really want.

If a 9mm AR SBR which uses Glock mags is what you want, its next to impossible to beat the DDLES lower. It's what I'd choose if I were in your shoes and working within your requirements. Specifically that it takes Glock mags.

If you were willing to forgo the requirement of the use of Glock mags, I'd go a different route as explained in a previous post. It's just my opinion that the use of Glock mags in a 9mm AR lower is more of a novelty. And obviously others will have a different opinion on the matter.

Metalform makes great mags for Colt style 9mm AR lowers. I have 4 of them. They're not to pricey and are built like tanks. Midway stocks the 20 & 32 round mags and sells them within the $35 range, cheaper than the Glock 33 rounders.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I would go with the CX4 Storm no it doesn't take the Glock mags but 92 FS mags aren't the hardest to find and Beretta does make 20 and 30 rounders

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom