• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Gaffer

Jun 26, 2006
    OK, so I've figured out that I'm going to get a PCP one of these days - don't know which one yet, but I'm getting one.

And I found a scuba tank on craigslist that I bought, and just had tested and filled. The tank just has a "Sherwood" brand valve on top.

What else do I need...besides the gun?

methlab

Mar 18, 2011
    Northern Harford County
    Usually you would need to be a certified diver to have a tank filled. (use to be. Its been a while for me). You will need a first stage regulator and a hose with the connections for a air gun. you might be able to get a broken one from someone since it won't need to be accurate. You can also just get a yoke and hose. Then adjust your airflow with the valve.

Old Gaffer

Jun 26, 2006
    Thanks for the info Methlab,

And a general FYI, BR Welding in White Plains did the inspections and fill on my tank. I told them I was going to use it to fill air pistols and no one ever mentioned my lack of diver status.

Cheers,
    Rob

subdude

Official Peon
    Jan 2, 2008
    New Freedom, PA
    careful

Please make sure whatever you get is certified for compressed air @ 3000 psi. Typical airguns that use CO2 run at 850 psi and will be completely unsafe with scuba air.

Disclosure: I am not familiar with "PCP". Perhaps that is a brand / gun that is okay with scuba air.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Please make sure whatever you get is certified for compressed air @ 3000 psi. Typical airguns that use CO2 run at 850 psi and will be completely unsafe with scuba air.

Disclosure: I am not familiar with "PCP". Perhaps that is a brand / gun that is okay with scuba air.

Precharged pneumatic (PCP) is different than your run of the mill CO2.

I just got a NitroPiston Benji Trail in .22 and that thing rocks.:party29:

JoeQPublic

Aug 21, 2011
    Mont Co
    OK, so I've figured out that I'm going to get a PCP one of these days - don't know which one yet, but I'm getting one.

And I found a scuba tank on craigslist that I bought, and just had tested and filled. The tank just has a "Sherwood" brand valve on top.

What else do I need...besides the gun?

Benjamin Marauder .22 or .25, 10 shot mag kicks ass and .25 has 8 shot. Killer!

LocknLoad

Jun 27, 2008
    Howard Co
    Hey guys, I have a scot air pack and a Benjamin Marauder in .22 and love it. Only problem is where to get the tank filled. I live in Ellicott City area. Anyone know of a good place to get the tank filled?

motox79

May 24, 2010
    damascus
    ANy of you guys ever think of using nitrogen? It what i used to use in my paintball stuff. The gas is heavier than compressed air (shoots faster, further, more consistant) Plus, you can pick up a small 20cuft tank pretty cheap from ANY Roberts or Airgas. Just a suggestions.

Pirate

Mar 20, 2010
    Be real careful using a scuba tank. The tank pressure will start out around 3000 pounds and it can quickly overfill and burst a tank. Scuba tanks have a burst disk in the valve to keep them from blowing up if over filled. I would assume your airgun tank has that also but I have never handled the airgun tanks so I don't know. If it doesn't have the burst disk then the scuba tank will be capable of overfilling the tank and causing it to blow up. I fill scuba tanks on a regular basis. Please make you sure you know what you are doing 100% before you do it. A mistake could be fatal.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    We just bought a scuba tank from some scuba place in Columbia
    We did not need any scuba license for this.

We also have a CO2 tank that I think we get filled at Roberts gas. I think its $30?

pm me if you want me to get better details from our Jr's coach.

I know he gets this stuff filled around the Columbia area

Keep in mind the scuba tank is to fill a high end air rifle

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Be real careful using a scuba tank. The tank pressure will start out around 3000 pounds and it can quickly overfill and burst a tank. Scuba tanks have a burst disk in the valve to keep them from blowing up if over filled. I would assume your airgun tank has that also but I have never handled the airgun tanks so I don't know. If it doesn't have the burst disk then the scuba tank will be capable of overfilling the tank and causing it to blow up. I fill scuba tanks on a regular basis. Please make you sure you know what you are doing 100% before you do it. A mistake could be fatal.

+1 :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom