• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I would be very worried IF you hadn't found out that there is indeed a agent conducting a investigation , now that you know that I would bring it down a notch. My guess is the owner of the range has some explaining to do.

MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012

I'd have shut the door in the mans face mumbling something about a warrant.

Ok but if they do have a warrant, they were being nice.they could kick in your door without knocking

You could slam the door in his face,but they could kick door and make it slam your face...

Thus thought process of yours only works when they don't have a warrant

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Something all y'all paranoid folks seem to have missed is that the Detective had the OP's signed rental agreement from the range. They don't just hand those things out or throw them in the dumpster out back; he wouldn't have those if he was an imposter. No way a fake agent fools a range owner into forking over records like that.

As for the "why would the ATF be involved" question someone asked, the range most likely has an FFL. An FFL losing a firearm is a federal issue. It's not the same as someone stealing one from a citizen.

The fact that he left no contact info means either he was satisfied that the OP was not involved or it was just sloppy police work on his part.

So you think it's possible the range can loose an AR, but they can't loose a sheet of paper with someones contact info on it?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    So you think it's possible the range can loose an AR, but they can't loose a sheet of paper with someones contact info on it?

Yes. The AR sits on a rack in front of the general public. Customers get to take possession of it. If the person who rented it also had other guns, they could have placed it on a bench while they were shooting something else and another customer could have slipped into their own bag/case and walked out before anyone noticed.

Paperwork stays behind the counter and is kept secure. FFLs who don't keep good records don't stay FFLs for very long.

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    Honestly, that video is just as bad as those stop snitching things.

If you want crimes solved, you have to talk to the police sometimes.

It's like telling a firefighter you want a fire put out, but he can't use the water in your pool to do it.

The video is self explanitory and has nothing to do with "snitching" and everything to do with self preservation in a system that is increasingly interested less in justice and more in flow-through.

If I saw or knew something I thought would help solve a crime I'd report it on my own using my phone. Unexpected solicitation by law enforcement on the other hand is barking up the wrong tree. If you're a cop that finds my attitude unreasonable then you're part of the problem.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    The video is self explanitory and has nothing to do with "snitching" and everything to do with self preservation in a system that is increasingly interested less in justice and more in flow-through.

If I saw or knew something I thought would help solve a crime I'd report it on my own using my phone. Unexpected solicitation by law enforcement on the other hand is barking up the wrong tree. If you're a cop that finds my attitude unreasonable then you're part of the problem.

You're roaming into tin foil land. The examples provided in the video are pretty rare. So, if a LEO comes to your door investigating a crime which you legitimately had nothing to do with, you'd rather not answer than to say "sorry, didn't see anything."

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Yes. The AR sits on a rack in front of the general public. Customers get to take possession of it. If the person who rented it also had other guns, they could have placed it on a bench while they were shooting something else and another customer could have slipped into their own bag/case and walked out before anyone noticed.

Paperwork stays behind the counter and is kept secure. FFLs who don't keep good records don't stay FFLs for very long.

Yes I can see your point. But today people are more cleaver then ever and you should not take anything for face value if there is something about it that does mot make any sense.

Look at what we know;

• The LEO did not leave contact info. This is unheard of. Even if he was satisfied they always leave contact info.
    • The ATF only said there are guys out there like that. But no one heard of this investigations. The ATF office in Baltimore is not very big.
    • The local law did not know a thing about this investigation either. Now all LEO's do not know what all other LEO's are doing, but The upper management knows all that is going on.
    • And yes, the range owner may have 10 reasons to play dumb when the OP called to ask about this AR, but for me when you add this into the everything else it stinks.
    In this world there are pick pockets that can steel out of your pocket without you knowing, there are plenty of people that can get a form with your name on it even if it is behind the counter.

Maybe it's all OK. but I would recommend the OP grow eyes in the back of his head for awhile.

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    You guys seem to forget you have no idea who's knocking. Maybe its Barney Fife or maybe is some jackass cop who woke up and felt like beating his wife before going to work that morning. Simply by opening the door to answer you're allowing this unknown individual to judge what he sees in your home. If he thinks he sees something he doesn't like he's got the legal authority to ruin your year and your retirement savings with no risk to him whatsoever.

So, cry me a river Officer Fife, but don't come a knocking at my door without a warrant.

strapped

Aug 27, 2012
    Carroll County
    • The LEO did not leave contact info. This is unheard of. Even if he was satisfied they always leave contact info.
    • The ATF only said there are guys out there like that. But no one heard of this investigations. The ATF office in Baltimore is not very big.
    • The local law did not know a thing about this investigation either. Now all LEO's do not know what all other LEO's are doing, but The upper management knows all that is going on.
    • And yes, the range owner may have 10 reasons to play dumb when the OP called to ask about this AR, but for me when you add this into the everything else it stinks.

With all due respect, law enforcement in movies is much different than in real life. Many LEO's (myself included) do not leave business cards due to impersonation. The TFO in this case introduced himself, showed 2 sets of credentials, so a paper business card is pretty irrelevant. The ATF (with the aide of task force officers) investigates many crimes which involve a firearm especially ones involving an FFL or gun shop. And finally, other law enforcement agencies are not notified when another agency is going to knock and talk. A lot of tin foil hat wearing people in this thread!

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Someone needs to post that video about not talking to the police about anything, ever, even if you're innocent.

I'd have shut the door in the mans face mumbling something about a warrant.

If nobody talked to the police when they are investigating a crime, how would that go?

The reason he gave for talking to everyone who had been to the range was that the range's rental paperwork was "a mess". He said that many times they showed a person renting a gun but did not list what they rented only hand gun, or rifle. So they have no idea who rented the AR15 in the past month or so and walked off with it or if it is an inside job.

The ATF did all me back and was able to tell me it is one of there guys.

I'm not too worried as I haven't done anything illegal nor do I have any illegal guns alcohol, tobacco or explosive's.

Just thought it odd is all.

Problem #1 is that he came to your house because you are a suspect.
    You don't talk to him because you are a suspect. You get a lawyer right away.
    Look at it this way. Man steals gun at range, he gets questioned. Only thing he remembers is a man and his wife leaving with an Long gun. What makes any one here believe that you are not a suspect when you are questioned by the police?
    Get real. Search for "falsely accused"

Last edited:

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Problem #1 is that he came to your house because you are a suspect.
    You don't talk to him because you are a suspect. You get a lawyer right away.
    Look at it this way. Man steals gun at range, he gets questioned. Only thing he remembers is a man and his wife leaving with an Long gun. What makes any one here believe that you are not a suspect when you are questioned by the police?
    Get real. Search for "falsely accused"

Suspect implies they have some sort of evidence or good reason to believe that you may've committed a crime. Simply conducting an interview doesn't mean that the person being interviewed is a suspect. It's information gathering to further their investigation.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Suspect implies they have some sort of evidence or good reason to believe that you may've committed a crime. Simply conducting an interview doesn't mean that the person being interviewed is a suspect. It's information gathering to further their investigation.

Bolds are mine.
    I know your not saying that " Simply conducting an interview doesn't mean that the person being interviewed is a suspect." Also does not rule out that the person being interview is not a suspect. Additionally, "The information gathering to further their investigation." Information they receive from any investigation can and will be used against you if they decide you are charged as the defendant.

IANAL. But I do understand the basics, and this is very basic.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    With these champions of legal scholars we have here it's amazing the citizens of MD havent prevailed in a CCW case yet.......Jesus H.

Talk about own worst enemies.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Little confused as to your point. In case you might "need" a cop later we should allow cops to do whatever they want?

Please elaborate.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I think it's directed at the Lonney Tunes here that say NEVER talk to the police.

But when their house gets broken into or they become a victim I'm sure they want people in their neighborhood to assist and speak with police.

These people indicate that they truly believe any time the police are there talking with them they are a target and shouldnt speak with them.

If my house gets broken into I dont want any of those wing nuts in my neighborhood as the police wont learn anything from the tin foiled hat folks thinking every police contact is a targeted violation of their rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom