• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sparrow

Apr 10, 2014
    There's about a 90% chance of moving to MD from freer Mid-atlantic states. I need a job, i'm hoping it will be a short term thing, but all my other locations have fallen through. I'm trying to get straight on what I need to do gun wise. I don't necessarily have all of the items listed below, I just have this for convenience in case anyone else has this thread.

As noted, thanks to the people who added comments here. I'm not a lawyer and no one here is, either.

Got my info from here: https://marylandshallissue.com/share/SafetyActFAQ.pdf

1) Non HBAR AR-15s (flash hider, bayonet lug), owned before 2013: Need to register within 90 days of becoming a resident of MD. Any rifle listed by name, a copy, or passing (failing) a feature test. Exception: Rimfires.

2) HBAR AR-15: Not regulated, but under some debate.

3) Assault pistols (ie tec-9): Need to register within 90 days of becoming a resident of MD. Not allowed in state unless registered before 1994, may that year live in infamy.

4) Assault shotguns (ie saiga): Need to register within 90 days of becoming a resident of MD. Only several models listed, saiga should be GTG.

5) Non-assault pistols: There's a 'de-facto' registration when you purchase a pistol in MD. For out-of-state-ers, its optional to register. All pistols must be registered.

6) rifle magazines > 20 rounds: ok to own Everything OK to own, > 10 rnds illegal to purchase or transfer in MD
    7) pistol magazines >10 rounds: ok to own. Everything OK to own, > 10 rnds illegal to purchase or transfer in MD

8) other rifles and shotguns: they are incapable of being used in a crime as they are not 'evil' enough, so no worries, mate :rolleyes:.

9)Join MSP

Is this correct?

Edits in red:

DC_W: Mag Capacity 10 rnds for purchasing
    JettaRed: all handguns must be registered.
    Weishen: Centerfire rifle comment, HBAR AR is conditional, APs not allowed in state.
    Threeband: Mag limit, handgun registry, shotgun notes.
    Dtmeyers: registration of ar and handguns

Last edited:

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    There's about a 90% chance of moving to MD from freer Mid-atlantic states. I need a job, i'm hoping it will be a short term thing, but all my other locations have fallen through. I'm trying to get straight on what I need to do gun wise. I don't necessarily have all of the items listed below, I just have this for convenience in case anyone else has this thread.

Got my info from here: https://marylandshallissue.com/share/SafetyActFAQ.pdf

Non HBAR AR-15s (flash hider, bayonet lug), owned before 2013: Need to register within 90 days of becoming a resident of MD.

HBAR AR-15: Not regulated.

Assault pistols (ie tec-9): Need to register within 90 days of becoming a resident of MD.

Assault shotguns (ie saiga): Need to register within 90 days of becoming a resident of MD.

Non-assault pistols: There's a 'de-facto' registration when you purchase a pistol in MD. For out-of-state-ers, its optional to register.

rifle magazines > 20 rounds: ok to own
    pistol magazines >10 rounds: ok to own.

other rifles and shotguns: they are incapable of being used in a crime as they are not 'evil' enough, so no worries, mate :rolleyes:.

Is this correct?

Mag-cap is limited to 10rds for all firearms. The limits are for purchasing, transfer, manufacture, and receiving standard capacity mags -- ownership is OK. I am not a lawyer (IANAL).

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Good luck trying to understand the new (and old) laws. A point you need to research more is that ALL handguns are regulated firearms and must be registered unless you are a C&R license holder and own a C&R handgun already or purchase one out of state by mail order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeiShen

Oct 7, 2013
    Ward 7
    I made a flowchart about this somewhere - I'll try to find it for you.

I am not an attorney.

Non HBAR AR-15s (flash hider, bayonet lug), owned before 2013: Need to register within 90 days of becoming a resident of MD.

Yes, but any rifle owned specifically before Oct 1st, 2013 - Also any other centerfire rifle that is either listed by name, a copy, or passes a features test.

HBAR AR-15: Not regulated.

Conditional Yes? - there is a nice debate going on about this right now. Someone can give you more info.

Assault pistols (ie tec-9): Need to register within 90 days of becoming a resident of MD.

To the best of my knowledge, AP's that were not registered prior to 1994 (?) are not allowed to be bought into the state. I will find the reference for you.

Assault shotguns (ie saiga): Need to register within 90 days of becoming a resident of MD.

Not sure of this one - I don't think so - only 3 shotguns were listed by name (AFAIK), and those are the only ones banned.

Non-assault pistols: There's a 'de-facto' registration when you purchase a pistol in MD. For out-of-state-ers, its optional to register.

I believe this to be correct (Can someone verify? I have heard the opposite as well)- You can find more info on this via search. You do not need an HQL for a firearm you already own, just to purchase.
    See:

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...andRegistration/Registration/NewResident.aspx

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ation/Registration/VoluntaryRegistration.aspx

rifle magazines > 20 rounds: ok to own
    pistol magazines >10 rounds: ok to own.

Any size is legal to own - it is illegal to sell, offer for sale, transfer, trade, give away, etc. anything greater than 10 rounds. (i.e. feel free to drive out of state and buy what you like)

other rifles and shotguns: they are incapable of being used in a crime as they are not 'evil' enough, so no worries, mate :rolleyes:.

Yeah something like that :)

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    I've given this serious thought, and I've said it before: I don't see why you can't commute to a job in Maryland from another state. If you're working in the Md. suburbs of D.C., you can commute from Va.; if you're working around Baltimore, you can commute from Pa.; if you're working on the Eastern Shore you can commute from Del. or maybe Pa.; if your job is in Western Md., either W. Va. or Pa. are easy commutes.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    I've given this serious thought, and I've said it before: I don't see why you can't commute to a job in Maryland from another state. If you're working in the Md. suburbs of D.C., you can commute from Va.; if you're working around Baltimore, you can commute from Pa.; if you're working on the Eastern Shore you can commute from Del. or maybe Pa.; if your job is in Western Md., either W. Va. or Pa. are easy commutes.

Easy and short are two very different things. Yes, driving from Baltimore to York is "easy", it also takes over an hour to do. It really depends on where his new job is going to be.

Really, it would be better to just go on welfare in your own state than get a job in MD. Better to get those sweet sweet Obama dollars than give up your freedom in MD.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Easy and short are two very different things. Yes, driving from Baltimore to York is "easy", it also takes over an hour to do. It really depends on where his new job is going to be.

Really, it would be better to just go on welfare in your own state than get a job in MD. Better to get those sweet sweet Obama dollars than give up your freedom in MD.

As much as we hate the laws in this state, we need to be welcoming more folks to the state to swell our ranks, not telling them to not come here, or to commute from another state. I get the sentiment, but in my opinion, it hurts us more than it helps us as a community.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Good information on the new laws here:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=10928

Your research has some confusion between the old law, and the new law which went into effect on October 1, 2013.

For instance, the old mag limit of 20 rounds was reduced to 10 on that date. In either case, the law only limits transfer of ownership (buying, selling) or manufacture. It does not touch possession, transport or use. It is legal to buy standard size mags out of state and bring them back for your personal use, but you can't pick any up for me.

Under the old law, it was optional to "register" the handguns you brought with you when you moved to Maryland. Now it is required. Under the new law, you are required to register your handguns with the State Police within 90 days. I believe they have a simple online system, but I'm not sure.

If you read the thread to which I linked above, you'll see the absurd "Assault Rifle List", which seems to be based on Feinstein's "Scary Guns List" which was produced over 20 years ago. Everything on that list is now banned, but if you owned a now-banned long gun before 10/1/13, it is now grandfathered. I'm not sure if you have to register it, though.

Note only Kalashnikov-pattern rifles are banned. Shotguns like the Saiga are unregulated. Note only centerfires are banned, too. Rimfires are okay.

Living out of state while working here is fine if you can swing it, but for most of us it just isn't practical. Traffic in the metropolitan areas is terrible, and long commutes can make your daily existence a weary and grinding drudgery. But it's only fair to warn you many would leave Maryland if they could.

But welcome, pilgrim. Join MSI, join the fight.

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    I moved in late October (I tried getting here before 01 October), had to register all my handguns, my AR, and my Sig 556 rifle. I owned all before 01 October though

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Trying to get rules straight

Rule #1- Don't move to MD

Rule #2 - See rule #1

If you must violate the rules, welcome to our on line community anyway.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

I live in Gaithersburg and work in Rockville. Many mornings it takes me 45 minutes to get to work and I am only driving 11.5 miles. The State Highway Administration picked Monday to tear up new asphalt on Muncaster Mill Road just north of Avery Road. It took 25 minutes to go 2 miles. There was a backup form Avery to Shady Grove Road. Trying to take Shady Grove to I-270 is a crap shoot and I've given up on it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There are plenty of in-state commutes that are a bear also. An hour commute is the new normal, and 1.25-1.5hr is still well within typical.

Due to Md's geography , only a swath of aprox Columbia to Glen Burnie would be a signifigent issue to commute from a neighboring state.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    Once you establish residency, let us know where to send the sympathy cards. If I were in another state and was ready to relocate, MD would be at the bottom of my list, along with CA, NJ, NY and most other North-Eastern States. If there is any way you can avoid it, don't move to MD.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 176

sparrow

Apr 10, 2014
    Thanks to everyone who posted. I'm going to edit the first post and add the modifications. Any more comments are certainly appreciated. I'd be working just north of DC (PGC). I really don't want to commute from VA.

That's not how I want to live my life. Is MD really that bad? I'm hoping to not turn into a crazy person (or a crazy driver) :innocent0 .

Good information on the new laws here:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=10928

Your research has some confusion between the old law, and the new law which went into effect on October 1, 2013. [snip]

Threeband, I can't seem to load/follow the link, i'm not sure why.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    That's not how I want to live my life. Is MD really that bad? I'm hoping to not turn into a crazy person (or a crazy driver) :innocent0 .

This is what I needed.

Thanks to everyone who posted. This is helpful. i'm going to edit the first post and add the modifications. Any more comments are appreciated.
    Threeband, I can't seem to load/follow the link, i'm not sure why.

The job would be in PGC, so commute from VA is really gonna be rough. I'd either live in PGC or Montgomery county,

That thread is in the water cooler, gotta have ~50 posts to get in. Be careful picking a place to live especially in PG.

Good luck on the job hunt, and welcome to MD!

There's a giant bridge that connects PGC to America. You should really, REALLY reconsider.

Seriously - DO NOT move to PG. Especially if you have a family and/or school-age kids. That's basically child abuse, sending them to PG schools or having them grow up there.

Montgomery is better, but taxes are stupid-high - like higher than you can even imagine. And you're still in MD, of course.

I moved 275 miles away to get out of MD, but still own a "weekend" home here.

If I'm willing to commute 550 miles a day (Bwahahaha) in order NOT to be a MD resident, that should tell you something about how much it sucks to be here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom