How many felons and fugitives bought regulated guns, how many prosecutions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    "Over the course of last year, dealers released 51,812 guns before a background check was completed. They could legally do that because of a loophole that allows them to give out firearms after waiting a week, regardless of whether the check is done"

Well hey, you know what? Loophole? Fu*k you! Your donkeycrat party passed that law and in pending doom of SB281, what the hell did you think the reaction was going to be, the same amount of guns being purchased?

You know, you could tell us what you REALLY think........jus' sayin'.:D

Claybreaker 2

Aug 25, 2013
    Frederick County
    "Over the course of last year, dealers released 51,812 guns before a background check was completed. They could legally do that because of a loophole that allows them to give out firearms after waiting a week, regardless of whether the check is done"

Well hey, you know what? Loophole? Fu*k you! Your donkeycrat party passed that law and in pending doom of SB281, what the hell did you think the reaction was going to be, the same amount of guns being purchased?

I honestly believe that the processing slowdown was a deliberate attempt to discourage potential purchasers. I do not think they anticipated legal action on our part to permit LGS to follow the seven day release that they wrote into the law in the first place. I guess we all should have just waited around for the weeks, months, ?years? it would have taken for the MSP to either get around to processing our applications or to find a new prohibiting criteria so they could avoid this whole pesky citizen ownership of firearms problem.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    The most polite thing I can say is, I wish passing unconstitutional laws was a carcinogen. Not the kind that causes a skin spot either. Something closer to eating lunch next to reactor four at Chernobyl in May & June 1986.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Erin was on WBAL radio yesterday afternoon, and apparently supported the facts well...

But the dipshytes interviewing her kept falling back on "loophole" and those horrible four guns not yet recovered.

I heard that too. I was surprised that she said it wasn't a loophole and supported the facts. I wish she mentioned that the dealers were not allowed to do a NICS. They also could have said that most dealers who did the 8 day release made folks sign a statement that they were not prohibited.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I heard that too. I was surprised that she said it wasn't a loophole and supported the facts. I wish she mentioned that the dealers were not allowed to do a NICS. They also could have said that most dealers who did the 8 day release made folks sign a statement that they were not prohibited.

Well, my wife was the one who heard it, and came in sputtering like a wet hen. She wanted Marsden's head, and to beat the male (I forgot who was in this week) to a pulp.

I had to remind her that MB isn't anything resembling conservative (or thinking, for that matter), and they were just repeating what they've heard from Vinny the Shill and O'MAOlley's Politburo.

I've had a chance to speak with Erin previously, and have thanked her for being particularly fair to our side. I think a note may be in order.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I honestly believe that the processing slowdown was a deliberate attempt to discourage potential purchasers. I do not think they anticipated legal action on our part to permit LGS to follow the seven day release that they wrote into the law in the first place. I guess we all should have just waited around for the weeks, months, ?years? it would have taken for the MSP to either get around to processing our applications or to find a new prohibiting criteria so they could avoid this whole pesky citizen ownership of firearms problem.

I believe the following:

- The administration foresaw regulated firearms sales going up (maybe even astronomically) last year as a result of their legislative proposal, but intentionally withheld the necessary resources to address the problem. Not to discourage purchasing, there was no way to stop that, historically whenever gun control bills have been introduced, the same effect occurs, every time.

- The AG issued notice that the HQL would be required after 10/1, so it was a money maker. Any why not make those filthy, no good, no count gun owners wait for their guns... We have plenty of other things to spend our money on and besides, we need to make sure those people know where their right to purchase guns comes from (because the administration officials are the overlords and get to say yea or nay to our fundamental right in their minds).

- The administration was counting on veiled threats to FFL's to prevent releases of firearms (who grants them the licenses to operate in MD, by the way???) and did not consider that a citizen's group (including the MLFDA) would take the state to court over the delays and force their hand to concur that 5-122 allowed for the 7 day release. The only way a majority of FFL's were going to start using the flip on 5-122 (7 day release) was to have a formal interpretation forced by the case. The state agreed, said it was a frivolous case, because the law allows for 7 day release. And pointed out that they have no time limit on a not disapproved disposition. No one ever talks about that...

- Once the administration realized they had to concede the point, they decided to accept the public safety risk of not allowing NICS checks by FFL's prior to release - which could been altered by a simple stroke of the pen, temporarily or not- in exchange for the hopes that some horrific tragedy would occur as a result that they could pin the 7 day release on to enable them to eliminate the 7 day release. (OK, have it your way, for now, wait and see, we'll let bad things happen to get our queen back).

- Thank goodness that many FFL's used discretionary policies to invoke the 7 day release (prior customers, recent ND, DC, etc.) or the administration may have gotten their way.

- The numbers didn't go their way and they have one crime they can attribute to this policy (a carjacking case) to push their point. Musta been frustrating sitting in the Governor's mansion discovering that the people (FFL's) did a pretty good job of policing themselves and they wound up with only that. Not to discount the poor folks that were carjacked...

Calling it a "loophole" to require the state to determine if a person is disapproved in 7 days by statute that was voted in by our legislature - as Busch likes to say -with a constitutional majority is pure malarkey.

Yesterday, I sent Erin Cox my written testimony/white paper on the backlog, timeline, etc. that addresses this.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

Kinda like there's a "loophole" that "allows" The Baltimore Sun to publish its newspaper without government censorship or prior approval. That "loophole" is called the First Amendment.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Kinda like there's a "loophole" that "allows" The Baltimore Sun to publish its newspaper without government censorship or prior approval. That "loophole" is called the First Amendment.

The loophole that allows Fox to air a pretty gruesome series that may inspire knife rampages. Or, video games that may inspire the same.

michaera

Love me some freedom.
    Jan 10, 2014

Hahaha! I actually did laugh out loud.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The loophole that allows Fox to air a pretty gruesome series that may inspire knife rampages. Or, video games that may inspire the same.

I don't know about that. I've watched a lot of very violent movies and don't ever recall being inspired to hurt anybody.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I don't know about that. I've watched a lot of very violent movies and don't ever recall being inspired to hurt anybody.

I was being (somewhat) facetious. They inspire people in the same way news accounts inspire copycats or Lanza to keep a spreadsheet and try to get to the top of the infamy roster - people already predisposed to killing someone looking for a good way to do it.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The state police were already dragging their feet before the 2013 legislative session began. The spike in gun sales started in the fall of 2012 and was going strong after the December shootings in Connecticut. The MSP news release said they were working 21/7 since the first of the year in order to catch up.

beafly.cakes

So 51k guns were released. 350ish shouldn't have been. All 350ish would have been caught by simple NICS checks. 1 was used to comit a crime. Why are we paying the MDSP for a super duper 12 database check again? Talk about a colossal waste of my tax dollars.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    The state police were already dragging their feet before the 2013 legislative session began. The spike in gun sales started in the fall of 2012 and was going strong after the December shootings in Connecticut. The MSP news release said they were working 21/7 since the first of the year in order to catch up.

Good point.... Somehow I think that Freedom Suppression Act of 2013 was in someone's drawer long before December 2012.... or at the very least, was being drafted the night of the tragedy.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    So 51k guns were released. 350ish shouldn't have been. All 350ish would have been caught by simple NICS checks. 1 was used to comit a crime. Why are we paying the MDSP for a super duper 12 database check again? Talk about a colossal waste of my tax dollars.

They think it's their tax money. Without a second thought. And assuming prohibitions for actual convictions (rather than PBJ's) and that whole separate issue? How many prosecutions of offenders under the "public safety" umbrella that they purport to create with their oh so meticulous background checks? Catch and release on this fishing trip.

Two word reality here...look no further than the words POWER and CONTROL!!!

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Good point.... Somehow I think that Freedom Suppression Act of 2013 was in someone's drawer long before December 2012.... or at the very least, was being drafted the night of the tragedy.

"Freedom Suppression Act of 2013"

Hmmm... I like that. Has a nice ring to it. And perfectly descriptive.

Maryland SB281, The Freedom Suppression Act of 2013.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

I think you're exactly right about that. I'm sure they've had at least an outline prepared for years just waiting until the time is right. And you better believe that drawer isn't empty, they still more infringements up their sleeves.

Feb 28, 2013
    Others were convicted of crimes years ago, long before state lawmakers decided those offenses deserved longer sentences that result in losing gun rights.

How does this pass Ex Post Facto muster?:wtf:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom