• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rauler

May 2, 2012
    When you factor in shipping and transfer fees, many of our local shops are already a better deal, often better yet if you pay by cash or check. Plus it's WYSIWYG instead of crossing fingers and hoping.

I often see the cash (check/money order) discount advertised online, but most LGS's don't advertise a cash discount, once you talk to them they might mention a cash OTD price. For the LGS's I've always taken the price on the tag as the price of the item. Just like a regular retail store. Would it be improper to ask for a cash price?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The stores I've been to advertise a 3% fee on purchases via credit card OVER the listed price :rolleyes:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    The stores I've been to advertise a 3% fee on purchases via credit card OVER the listed price :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's called old/grumpy men running businesses. This pretty much ONLY exists in the gun shop world. Take a look though Gun Broker, almost every single one of them wants extra for running a card.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Merchant Agreements can cause a world of hurt for shops that do the 3% thing. Its completely stupid.

All one has to do is factor in CC costs and amortize it with markup. If a person pays CASH then they get that amortized amount discounted.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    See above.

I don't care if it's 15% (or whatever for arguments sake) build it into the price of the item and call it part of running a legitimate business.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Gun dealers and gas stations are the only places I know that charge extra for credit cards and both have way more mark up than your grocery store to begin with. BTW-recently bought a used Win in a PA LGS and when given the total it didn't seem right. They tried to charge me a $15 PICS fee. That's total BS. No other PA dealer has charged more than $5.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Gun dealers and gas stations are the only places I know that charge extra for credit cards and both have way more mark up than your grocery store to begin with. BTW-recently bought a used Win in a PA LGS and when given the total it didn't seem right. They tried to charge me a $15 PICS fee. That's total BS. No other PA dealer has charged more than $5.

I know others places that sell cars will do the same thing as will some people that sell sheds, a lot of local or Mom and Pop businesses will

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom