• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    The problem is that there are no fingerprinting services in Southern Maryland. The least distant are in Waldorf and Lothian...both 40 miles up the road.

Typical of legislators from the I-95 axis to forget about us. All we do is pay through the nose to support their vote-buying schemes.

There is one opening in Charlotte Hall. No idea about how much.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    So I read the .pdf but am still confused. So a HQL is required to pick up a pistol paid for in June but not released until after Oct 1? Is this in writing specifically or just assumed since the law goes into effect Oct 1 and you would be taking possession post Oct 1? Thanks

Mr H

Banana'd
    The AG letter is guidance concerning interpreting the law.

As the letter is written, for ANY handgun picked up as of 10/1, the recipient must have the HQL.
    There may be further clarification coming as I hear it... but I'm not holding my breath.

PeePeeMcGee

Jun 24, 2013
    NOVA
    What if you've picked up your handgun on an 8th day release before 10/1 but your approval doesnt come back from MSP until after 10/1? Do you need to get the HQL?

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    What if you've picked up your handgun on an 8th day release before 10/1 but your approval doesnt come back from MSP until after 10/1? Do you need to get the HQL?

Based on the transfer date. Has nothing to do with the ND date. NO HQL needed if you picked up your handgun prior to 10/1.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    The AG letter is guidance concerning interpreting the law.

As the letter is written, for ANY handgun picked up as of 10/1, the recipient must have the HQL.
    There may be further clarification coming as I hear it... but I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe I'm reading the wrong letter. The letter linked in the first post is addressing the constitutionality of the HQL. I do not see anything in it that addresses Oct 1. Or it it inferred by the "receive" wording?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This letter is only an opinion. It is not written in stone.

Ummm, it is an Opinion from the head Prosecutor of the State of MD, and as such will be used by all other lower prosecutors in the state of MD.

So call it an opinion, but the only way that opinion gets reversed/overturned/nullified is for someone to violate the "opinion" and have a defense attorney challenge it in court, and then have a judge rule against the AG.

Are you volunteering to challenge the "opinion?"

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Figure this. If you want to be exempted from the training requirement by virtue of previously purchased a regulated firearm, if you did not buy it in MD, be prepared to show some proof of when you bought it. Receipt from the purchase will probably be fine. Or, if you don't have that, try contacting the original dealer for a letter stating the sale date, firearm, serial number, and their FFL info.

If the dealer has gone out of business, you could try contacting the BATF, as all records are supposed be turned over to them, but good luck on that.

You could also "voluntarily" register at least one regulated firearm prior to Oct 1.

Of course, you can just go take a Hunter Safety Course, which the law specifically states meets the training requirement. When I did mine, it was less than a day, mostly classroom, and about 5 shots.

Phil I Am

Sep 16, 2009
    Loudoun County, Virginia.
    Ummm, it is an Opinion from the head Prosecutor of the State of MD, and as such will be used by all other lower prosecutors in the state of MD.

So call it an opinion, but the only way that opinion gets reversed/overturned/nullified is for someone to violate the "opinion" and have a defense attorney challenge it in court, and then have a judge rule against the AG.

Are you volunteering to challenge the "opinion?"

"It is my opinion that my dog's ass is free of fecal material" I said it, therefore it is true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom