• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alexp08

May 16, 2013
    im finally getting around to building my lower ive had sitting around since last year. correct me if im wrong but the over all length of a barrel has to be at least 16 inchs. Which means a 14.5" barrel and a 1.5" flash suppressor permanently attached would be legal since the overall length is 16"..correct?

Alexp08

May 16, 2013
    Okay thanks. Now does it have to be permanently attached? Or is it still legal without being permanently attached?

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    YaVole!! pinned, welded, glued, simonized, electroliyzed, solidified, homogenized, beautified, zipperdized, traumatized, specialized, and THEN.......it is legal!! :-)

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    NO!!!

NOT CORRECT!!!

You need 16+ OAL.

Screwing a 1.5 hider onto a 14.5 barrel will give you less than 16 OAL.

If you just butt the hider up against the barrel, then yes, it will be 16 inches.

The female threads screwing onto the barrel threads shortens the OAL.

You will need longer than a 1.5 hider.

It would be 1.5 plus the length of the barrel threads for OAL (MINIMUM) hider length.

Add a 1/4 inch fudge factor to the OAL of the hider.

OAL is measured from a closed bolt face to the end of the hider. Best measured with a brass rod down the barrel.

This really makes me wonder how many illegal rifles, based on a minimum of 16 OAL, are actually out there.

Enjoy the pictures and stay out of FPYITA prison.

Hider butted up against the barrel. 16 OAL

hider oal 001.JPG

Hider screwed onto the barrel. Not 16 OAL. Huge difference huh?

hider oal 002.JPG

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    im finally getting around to building my lower ive had sitting around since last year. correct me if im wrong but the over all length of a barrel has to be at least 16 inchs. Which means a 14.5" barrel and a 1.5" flash suppressor permanently attached would be legal since the overall length is 16"..correct?

Nope. You'll need something about 2.25" long to bring barrel length to >16".

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Good info here.

I recommend you get a slightly longer barrel so you don't have to pin and weld. Maybe someday you'll want the option of just threads.

Also total length (stock extended) must be 29". SB281 added this. With an AR, you'll have no issue.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena

Good info here.

I recommend you get a slightly longer barrel so you don't have to pin and weld. Maybe someday you'll want the option of just threads.

Also total length (stock extended) must be 29". SB281 added this. With an AR, you'll have no issue.

If the AR15 lower was bought before Oct 1st, MSP treats them as a banned ALG.

If you read the copycat section of SB281:
    CR § 4-301(e)(2)
    (2) “Copycat weapon” does not include an assault long gun or an assault pistol.

A 16" barrel for a rifle (whether pinned/welded to get to 16" or a true 16" barrel) will get you over the 29" OAL mark. And the only reason why it needs to be 16" barrel or longer is because anything shorter would put you into SBR territory, not because of SB281.

Everything else seems correct. someone can come along and correct me if im wrong.

Alexp08

May 16, 2013
    Im really glad I posted in here before I started ordering parts! I never thought of the threads taking away from the length. Once again, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom