• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I recently picked up a (by my standards at least) gorgeous 1951 Tula. I probably paid too much for it but I didn't care because it looked so nice. It's probably the nicest SKS I now own. By "As Issued" I mean that it's exactly as it left the factory back in 1951. It may or may not have been issued but it was 100% for sure never sent back to a depot for what collectors call a "rework" or "refurb". Most likely, this example was built, test fired and then put in storage until it was brought back out for import to the US back in the early '90s. Let's take a look:

I'm not very happy with the above pictures because they don't have proper resolution. I hate going outside in the winter to take pictures and my house lighting isn't ideal. It's an as issued 1951 Tula with absolutely the best condition shellac I've ever encountered on one this old. Of course, it still retains the inspection stamps around the recoil lug:

The markings on the left side of the stock are crisp:

The acceptance stamp on the right side is only partially struck unfortunately but of course they weren't stamping them for collectors:

Here's the stamp on the receiver cover:

The bore doesn't appear to be chrome lined. The crown is more grey than chrome and you can see the machining marks that are usually less pronounce after being covered in chrome. Some '51s are chromed and some are not:

The bolt has the later type free floating firing pin and the carrier is of the later type as well:

The bayonet has the typical gold protective coating still on it. The coating has some scratches and freckling in it. Underneath is the early type mirror finish. I'd love to clean the gold coat off to reveal what's underneath but of course I never will:

Of course, all numbers match:

I have a 1954 the exhibits absolutely zero carbon on any parts so they DO exist. This 1951 has definitely been shot but only minimally. It shows a little carbon on the face of the piston and maybe a bit in the gas block (it's hard to tell since it's blued) but that's about it:

Last is a shot inside the receiver. It shows the most finish wear of any part but then I would expect that:

So that's my newest SKS. I won't be shooting this one unfortunately. Soviet examples are going stratospheric these days and will, sadly, continue to do so. So, this is part of my retirement plan one day. Besides, I never got much out of shooting SKS's. They are one of the very few firearms that I enjoy looking at more than shooting for some reason. Thanks for your time and post up your own '51 SKS. The more pictures posted, the more data there is for research! :)

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    That's a rare beauty, especially that bayonet with its protective coating...sweet.

Do you mind saying where you got it: online, or found in a rack in a gun store, or private auction, etc.?

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Not at all. I put in a stupid high bid on Gunbroker to ensure I got it. Fortunately, it didn't go anywhere near what I bid (it stayed under $800).

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Unissued, numbers-matching early 50's Russian Tula SKS with original bayonet and varnish is the gold standard. They don't hardly ever come around so what's a couple hundred extra bucks to lock it up?

Great gamble to make in this instance. Every once in a while in life, you gotta go all in.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Thanks! That was EXACTLY my thinking. I remember when these were $99 and I think that they will be going for over 10X that amount in the not too distant future. Soviet is the new German.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Gorgeous example! I really want a nice Tula like that for the Russian part of the collection. Congrats again on a great piece.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    God knows how many unissued SKSs went back into the field when they came to blows in Crimea. A lot of folks here noticed how many people were toting SKSs in news photos from the region--especially in scenes around the downed Malaysian Airliner.

Jul 1, 2012
    Awesome!
    Can't see how you could get much better than that.
    Where'd they sneak the import markings?
    (can you imagine the horror if CAI or PW imported this recently and one of their "Marking Monkeys" got hold of it !?)

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    It's a KBI import so the mark is faint along the left rear of the receiver. I prefer the old CAI on the bottom of the barrel but it's light and neat so it's not a deal breaker.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Besides, I never got much out of shooting SKS's. They are one of the very few firearms that I enjoy looking at more than shooting for some reason.

Thanks for sharing, nice looking SKS.

One of my first C&R purchases was a Yugo SKS, picked a couple Chinese ones and finally shot one of the Chinese ones after cleaning it up. Took it twice, the second time after tweaking the gas piston and tube so it worked as a semi and just never felt the urge to take it back.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Excellent find.

Make sure you post the pic's after you put on that Tapco stock and Aimpoint sight. J/K ;)

and YES, I am jealous. That SKS is really nice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom