AK-47 or AR-15 variant, $600 ish, first centerfire?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hasteranger

Jan 14, 2012
    West Virginia
    Been asked before but curious given the recent drop (almost back to normal) for, in particular, AR's, what advice I might receive.

I own an M44, a CZ52, and a Remington 870. Tried deer hunting with the M44 this year and its just way too loud and not accurate enough, ended up borrowing a friend's .270 to take a deer.

Whatever I end up with I will plan on putting a decent scope on it, but its unlikely I will ever take any shots over 100 yards, but it would need to be fairly accurate out to that range. It will mostly be used for target shooting and deer hunting, but versatility would be ideal as I would like to go on a hog hunt at some point.

I don't want to spend much more than $600, but flexible within a $100 or so.

On the AK side, I really like this VEPR chambered in .308 with a 20.5" barrel. Comes in right at $600 before shipping. Buttstock comes unfinished but I have no problems either finishing it or eventually replacing it with something adjustable. Milled receiver, made in russia, supposed to be a really nice shooting gun. http://centerfiresystems.com/VSB308-20-02.aspx

On the AR side, it doesn't look like anything bigger than 5.56 would be in my price range. The budget .300 or .308 guns don't come any cheaper than $900. But a bushmaster carbon15 is on sale at cabelas for $599 and comes with a mail in rebate for a free field cleaning kit and 4 additional 30 round magazines, which adds to the value. I like the brand name of bushmaster and they have a reputation for standing behind their products.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo..._stype=GNU&WTz_l=SBC;BRprd709978;cat105524280

The mossberg MMR and DPMS oracle are around the same price point, and the smith and wesson M&P15 is $100 more. I'd probably lean towards the BM or the S&W if I went that route.

$900 could get a DPMS AP4 .308, or a S&W MP15 in .300 blackout, though ammunition isn't easy to find in .300. Seems like its the fanboy choice of the moment.

Anyway I welcome thoughts, feedback, etc. I am not a person who buys and sells guns often. I would like to buy this gun and keep it for life.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I would stay away from the more exotic calibers unless you have a big wallet, even 308 is getting a little pricy to shoot lately. I would say build your own and get only the parts you want [like a nickel boron bolt, rail system, stock, etc] in the end, it will save you money than having to replace factory parts you already paid for. As far as AKs go, there is a pretty good deal on armament Aks with minor to major issues on gunbroker right now, you can find the one you feel you can revive for under 500. I have no experience with VEPRs.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=380631016

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Just build your own AR. You can spend the money when you have it and stretch the build over 6 months. Think of it like layaway.

Trust me man. Going that route will yield a better rifle then what you are looking at for $600.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Just build your own AR. You can spend the money when you have it and stretch the build over 6 months. Think of it like layaway.

Trust me man. Going that route will yield a better rifle then what you are looking at for $600.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

And second this as well...... Build it and get what you want.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    The 16" Vepr 308s are really nice. If you use 150ish grain bullets you should be good to go. Hornady makes some superformance 308 in 150gr that is supposed to make up the lost velocity. Last I saw Centerfire had them for around 599. They are very nice for an AK, minus the firewood stock that is meant to be thrown away.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well, a VEPR would be good, but converting it will probably run you past $600-ish.

Otherwise, my recommendations would be:
    1. PSA AR-15 Build
    2. S&W M&P15
    3. M+M M10

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    MINI-14
    Seriously, for your needs a Mini is perfect. Rugged, reliable, and certainly accurate enough out to 100yds.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The S&W M&P15 is a MUCH better gun than the Mini-14. Back when the Mini was half to 2/3 the cost of an AR, it was a good value. These days, meh, not so much.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Eh, but not really converting. Just a stock and pistol grip maybe. The Vepr 308 is a great value rifle, IMHO.
    If you want to be 922r compliant, you've got to get a modified Tapco G2 FCG, which is like $75 on its own from Dinzag. Being compliant is not super expensive, but I suspect you'll have $150-$200 in conversion parts by the time it's all done. I've done it on my 54R... my point is, it's out of the stated price range. Refinishing the stock is not a realistic option; they come in really bad shape, lots of cracks and such.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    A VEPR is not a gun I'd want to lug through the woods, especially with a longer barrel. It's only marginally heavier than a standard AK but a lot of it is on the front end. It shines on benchrest or bipod not so good offhand. Great choice though, probably one of the finest AKs out there with decent accuracy. AKs in general also aren't very scope-friendly without adding some weight/bulk via a side mount.

Go with an AR in .308. It's a big tinkertoy, lightweight, accurate, and easy to mount optics on. As others have said, build your own how you like it. Or buy the parts and have a smith throw it together. Doesn't take long at all. If you wanted an odd mashup that feeds cheap ammo, you could build a 7.62x39 AR but the .308 will be more versatile and will reach out much further.

hasteranger

Jan 14, 2012
    West Virginia
    I shoulda mentioned the wife has been pressuring me to pick something for xmas and she said she would go in on a gun if thats what I wanted. I am not opposed to building my own eventually, but I have enough other projects going on right now, plus a baby on the way, that its just not something I want to get into right now. I've got a '78 F150 stripped to the bare frame in my back yard, the 460 v8 stripped to the bare block in my shed, a nursery that needs painted, and my daily driver excursion needs ball joints, tie rods, and unit bearings to be installed on the dana 60 I'm swapping in, along with new front leaf springs and a swap to longer '08 rear leafs. On top of that I've got a slow coolant leak that is probably a cracked EGR cooler, and the trans temp sensor is going bad. Along with a few other things on the honey do list.

So for me shooting is something I can do to get away from it all, and another project is the last thing I need.

I'm encouraged by the positive comments on the VEPR .308, wish someone had one locally I could heft and shoot. The stocks are shootable as is, just have some cracks and stuff, from what I understand. Seen a few unboxing vids and some of them look pretty darn good, seems to be luck of the draw. I wouldn't be putting a new stock on it immediately, would probably use it as is until next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom