• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Some video recreations from a couple of sources. All but the first are from The Discovery Channel:

The first one shows what Oswald would have seen from the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository. With his 4x scope it explains how he could have missed the first, closer, and easier shot, and yet still made the second wounding shot and the third and final kill shot. He had the time and he had the angles. And I suspect many people in mdshooters who have gone deer hunting probably think they could have done as well.

Second & third videos are from the Discovery Channel's investigation where they recreate the second wounding shot, aka the so-called magic or so-called pristine bullet:

and

And in the fourth and fifth videos, The Discovery Channel recreates Oswald's third and final kill shot of JFK:

and

Now is this absolute proof? No of course not. But it does suggest that modern scientific investigations, using the best accident reconstruction techniques available today, demonstrate that Lee Harvey Oswald acting alone and shooting from the Texas School Book Depository could have killed President John F. Kennedy, and that it is plausible and consistent with the ballistic and forensic evidence available.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Exactly including long time ago Towson gunshop owner Howard Donohue (sp?) with an article in the Baltimore Sun Papers (in the 70's).

Good luck

Jerry

Except that Howard's theory was that the shot came from the trailing car, an AD by a Secret Service agent with his M-16.

I used to hang around Donahue's a LOT. Bought my first 1911 from him.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    One of the videos said the elevation was 60 ft and the LOS was 180 ft. So if those measurements are correct, then that's a horizontal distance of approx. 170 ft or 56 1/2 yards.

I realize the car was moving but given those distances a shot like that doesn't seem all that remarkable to me especially with a 4x scope.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Oh, and sorry, I should have included this video as well from an ABC News investigation back when Peter Jennings was their lead anchor.

This clip mainly shows a computer animation of the second shot. You can recreate a three dimensional model from a two dimensional video with a Fourier transform because the car was moving in three dimensions across time. That model can be validated (when overlaped in time) from other video & photos from the other cameras around Dealey Plaza, as well as measurements of fixed objects of known distances.

Here's a different segment with the same ABC News Consultant, but showing a bit more of why people call the second shot the "magic bullet", i.e. that it had to zig and zag mid-air to make all of the hits. It didn't. It was a straight shot:

I personally like the Discovery Channel shooting recreation better however, because I think making real shots with with real shooters, at the same distances & angles, against targets that recreate the bodies the very best that you can, is somehow more satisfying than any computer simulation can be. But, nevertheless, the recreations above at least adds to the ballistic discussion, and independently demonstrate plausibility of the lone shooter theory.

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    Bullsheet.

Oswald's shots have been replicated many times by many shooters.

I never heard of Hathcock doing it: I doubt he tried. But plenty of others have done it. It's really not that difficult.

THIS! I have been watching and reading about re-creations since the 60's. It has been accomplished several times.

The words Jesse Ventura should have sent red flags flying.

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    Exactly including long time ago Towson gunshop owner Howard Donohue (sp?) with an article in the Baltimore Sun Papers (in the 70's).

Good luck

Jerry

I knew him and I remember this myself.

Completely OT, but after Paul Reubens (Pee-Wee Herman) got caught in the peep show relieving himself, Howard Stern asked a friend of Reubens if he believed in the "single hand theory" or was there another hand in the grassy knoll. :lol2:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Give it a shot (pun intended) yourself. There is a game called JFK Reloaded. It puts you in Oswald's shoes. Look it up. I've come close once. If not for the subject matter, it would be a fun game.

Jim Smith

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I don't have the links nor the fuzzy math, but I do remember that someone did the calculations for trajectory and for the shot to have come from the "grassy knoll", the shooter would have had to have been 16 feet in the air or something preposterous like that.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I checked in to Jesse's statement that Hathcock couldn't do it. The statement is actually quoted from Craig Roberts' book "Kill Zone:A sniper looks at Dealey Plaza". So it is actually a well known ex marine sniper who claims Whitefeather couldn't repeat the shot, not Jesse Ventura.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I knew Carlos III more than a few years ago. He never mentioned anything about this, but I never asked. If I can find his email address, I will send him a message to see if there is any truth to this matter.

Jim Smith

Last edited:

Duck

Apr 11, 2012
    Baltimore
    For your enjoyment read "The Third Bullet" by Stephen Hunter it is a Bobby Lee Swagger novel. How about a 264 win mag. with the Carcano bullet..... Enjoy!

was42

Aug 19, 2010
    Carney, MD
    Recommended read

I also endorse "The Third Bullet" novel by Stephen Hunter. A lot went into this writing and Hunter really did his digging to put this story together.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Except that Howard's theory was that the shot came from the trailing car, an AD by a Secret Service agent with his M-16.

I used to hang around Donahue's a LOT. Bought my first 1911 from him.

I dont remember his theory, but I do remember he was involved in the investigations. I was kid. He was Mr Howard to me. He was however friends with my dad. When I was old enough, I bought firearms from him. He was just about retired at that point.

That man forgot more about guns, shooting, ballistics, etc, than most will ever know.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    Whitefeather shot the front forks on a teenagers bike carrying ak47s while it was moving on a trail from few hundred yards away to prevent fellow Marines down the trail from being shot,doubt he would have a problem making the shot.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I saw a show on either History or Discovery where the shot were taken by an older fellow. He was in his sixties or his seventies. He had no problems taking the shots within the time period given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom