• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    What did you guys do to transfer items to your trust?

Seems simple on the non regulated rifles that I wanted to turn into SBRs. But the regulated lowers and lowers that are as of now in a non regulated configuration gets tricky.

anderson76

Feb 16, 2013
    You pose a question that does not have a clear answer. I did my first Form 1s using a trust, so I gave this some thought. First you have to understand the type of transfer is occurring.

Like all trusts, a gun trusts is simply an agreement for the management and disposition of property that involves three parties: (1) The settlor is the person who creates the trust by dividing the title to a piece of property into legal title and equitable title. This is accomplished through a document called the Trust Agreement. (2) The trustee is the holder of the legal title to the property. He manages the property, according to the grantor’s instructions, for the benefit of the equitable title holder. (3) The beneficiary is the holder of the equitable title to the property. He receives only those benefits from the trust property as the grantor specified in his instructions. In a properly drafted gun trust the settlor, will also serves as the initial trustee as well as a beneficiary. Under this arrangement the settler retains complete control over the trust property and retains the power to amend and the trust at any time. In the event of the settler’s death, the person that is named as successor trustee will take over the role of trustee and manage the trust property in accordance with the instruction that you provided in the Trust Agreement.

While we are on the subject of ownership I just want to go into a few things. I hear people say that the trust owns this or the trust owns that. The trust, legally speaking does not own anything. Under Maryland law, this sort of revocable trust is not a legal entity in the same sense as is a natural person, corporation, or LLC. Unlike the latter, the trust cannot enter into contracts, it cannot sue, it cannot be sued, it does not own property. A trust is simply a contract between the Settelor and the Trustee involving the management of property. The legal owner of the property held in trust is the Trustee. It is the Trustee that can contract, bring suit, or get sued. In contrast to the way trusts are treated under Md. law (and the law of most other states) the BATF, does treat trusts as distinct legal entities such as Corporations and LLCs (at least for the Form1 and Form4 process). Thus, the BATF consider the trust to be the owner of the trust property wile under Md. law, the trustee is the legal owner of the trust property.

Thus the transfer will be from yourself to yourself in your capacity as Trustee under the Trust Agreement. So if the item is regulated, must this be done through an FFL or at the MSP Barracks using of Form 77R? In other areas of the law, these sorts of transfers are disregarded. For example, if you transfer title to you home to yourself in you capacity as trustee under a revocable living trust there are not tax consequences.

So what do you do if you want to place an AR15 lower in trust. To begin with, just because the MSP treats AR stripped lowers as regulated, does not mean they are regulated within the meaning of the Code. They are following poorly reasoned AG opinion.

Here is how I handled my transfer. Under my trust, until my death, I am the only trustee and the only one permitted to posses the trust property.
    I transferred the AR lowers using an assignment that looks like this:

ASSIGNMENT OF PERSONAL PROPERTY​

I, JOE BLOW, as Settlor, herby assign all my rights, title, and interest in the following property:

Palmetto State Armory, PA-15, Serial No.: #####
    Spikes Tactical, MOD – ST15, Serial No.: #####

to JOE BLOW, as Trustee of the JOE BLOW NFA TRUST dated September 27, 2013.

The listed items were transferred in non-regulated configuration within the meaning of applicable Maryland firearms laws.

Dated: 09/27/13 __________________________________(SEAL)
    JOE BLOW, Settlor & Trustee

STATE OF MARYLAND )
    ) SS:
    COUNTY OF PRINCE GEORGE’S )

On this 27TH day of September, 2013, before me, a notary public, personally appeared JOE BLOW, who proved to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence to be the person whose name is subscribed to the within this instrument and acknowledged to me that he/she executed the same in his/her authorized capacity, and that by his/her signature on the instrument the person, or the entity upon behalf of which the person acted, executed the instrument. I certify under PENALTY OF PERJURY under the laws of the STATE OF MARYLAND that the foregoing is true and correct.

WITNESS my hand and official seal.

I did not submit the assignment as a supporting document. My schedule A, which I did submit, looks something like this:

SCHEDULE A​

The following described property was conveyed and transferred to, and deposited with, the RSP NFA TRUST, Trustee of JOE BLOW, subject to the terms and conditions of the foregoing Trust Agreement:

$425.00

Palmetto State Armory, PA-15, Serial No.: ######## (non-sbr configuration)

Spikes Tactical, MOD – ST15, Serial No.: ######### (non-sbr configuration)

Dated: 9/27/13 __________________________________(SEAL)

STATE OF MARYLAND )
    ) SS:
    COUNTY OF PRINCE GEORGE’S )

On this 27TH day of September, 2013, before me, a notary public, personally appeared JOE BLOW, who proved to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence to be the person whose name is subscribed to the within this instrument and acknowledged to me that he/she executed the same in his/her authorized capacity, and that by his/her signature on the instrument the person, or the entity upon behalf of which the person acted, executed the instrument. I certify under PENALTY OF PERJURY under the laws of the STATE OF MARYLAND that the foregoing is true and correct.

I’m sure others will have differing opinions on this issue.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    You pose a question that does not have a clear answer. I did my first Form 1s using a trust, so I gave this some thought. First you have to understand the type of transfer is occurring.

Like all trusts, a gun trusts is simply an agreement for the management and disposition of property that involves three parties: (1) The settlor is the person who creates the trust by dividing the title to a piece of property into legal title and equitable title. This is accomplished through a document called the Trust Agreement. (2) The trustee is the holder of the legal title to the property. He manages the property, according to the grantor’s instructions, for the benefit of the equitable title holder. (3) The beneficiary is the holder of the equitable title to the property. He receives only those benefits from the trust property as the grantor specified in his instructions. In a properly drafted gun trust the settlor, will also serves as the initial trustee as well as a beneficiary. Under this arrangement the settler retains complete control over the trust property and retains the power to amend and the trust at any time. In the event of the settler’s death, the person that is named as successor trustee will take over the role of trustee and manage the trust property in accordance with the instruction that you provided in the Trust Agreement.

While we are on the subject of ownership I just want to go into a few things. I hear people say that the trust owns this or the trust owns that. The trust, legally speaking does not own anything. Under Maryland law, this sort of revocable trust is not a legal entity in the same sense as is a natural person, corporation, or LLC. Unlike the latter, the trust cannot enter into contracts, it cannot sue, it cannot be sued, it does not own property. A trust is simply a contract between the Settelor and the Trustee involving the management of property. The legal owner of the property held in trust is the Trustee. It is the Trustee that can contract, bring suit, or get sued. In contrast to the way trusts are treated under Md. law (and the law of most other states) the BATF, does treat trusts as distinct legal entities such as Corporations and LLCs (at least for the Form1 and Form4 process). Thus, the BATF consider the trust to be the owner of the trust property wile under Md. law, the trustee is the legal owner of the trust property.

Thus the transfer will be from yourself to yourself in your capacity as Trustee under the Trust Agreement. So if the item is regulated, must this be done through an FFL or at the MSP Barracks using of Form 77R? In other areas of the law, these sorts of transfers are disregarded. For example, if you transfer title to you home to yourself in you capacity as trustee under a revocable living trust there are not tax consequences.

So what do you do if you want to place an AR15 lower in trust. To begin with, just because the MSP treats AR stripped lowers as regulated, does not mean they are regulated within the meaning of the Code. They are following poorly reasoned AG opinion.

Here is how I handled my transfer. Under my trust, until my death, I am the only trustee and the only one permitted to posses the trust property.
    I transferred the AR lowers using an assignment that looks like this:

ASSIGNMENT OF PERSONAL PROPERTY​

I, JOE BLOW, as Settlor, herby assign all my rights, title, and interest in the following property:

Palmetto State Armory, PA-15, Serial No.: #####
    Spikes Tactical, MOD – ST15, Serial No.: #####

to JOE BLOW, as Trustee of the JOE BLOW NFA TRUST dated September 27, 2013.

The listed items were transferred in non-regulated configuration within the meaning of applicable Maryland firearms laws.

Dated: 09/27/13 __________________________________(SEAL)

STATE OF MARYLAND  )
     ) SS:
    COUNTY OF PRINCE GEORGE’S  )

I did not submit the assignment as a supporting document. My schedule A, which I did submit, looks something like this:

SCHEDULE A​

The following described property was conveyed and transferred to, and deposited with, the RSP NFA TRUST, Trustee of JOE BLOW, subject to the terms and conditions of the foregoing Trust Agreement:

$425.00

Palmetto State Armory, PA-15, Serial No.: ######## (non-sbr configuration)

Spikes Tactical, MOD – ST15, Serial No.: ######### (non-sbr configuration)

Dated: 9/27/13 __________________________________(SEAL)

STATE OF MARYLAND  )
     ) SS:
    COUNTY OF PRINCE GEORGE’S  )

I’m sure others will have differing opinions on this issue.

I hope you're an attorney because you're giving a great deal of legal advice above... and now that I've read your post, [edited because I gave an attorney shit about calling me out publicly on a thread, I'm not a hypocrite]. However, by all means, please keep giving out legal advice.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    What did you guys do to transfer items to your trust?

Seems simple on the non regulated rifles that I wanted to turn into SBRs. But the regulated lowers and lowers that are as of now in a non regulated configuration gets tricky.

You cannot transfer your non-regulated or regulated firearms into your trust in their current state. I won't get into the reasons, if you want to know why, please read my bit about this in my IP subforum. In short, transfer your regulated and unregulated firearms to your trust WHEN you receive permission/authority from the ATF to possess your NFA item.

That is, register your NFA item with the ATF in the name of the trust and when the ATF approves ownership by the trust, move your property into your trust by completing your assignment of property.

sygata

Feb 13, 2012
    You cannot transfer your non-regulated or regulated firearms into your trust in their current state. I won't get into the reasons, if you want to know why, please read my bit about this in my IP subforum. In short, transfer your regulated and unregulated firearms to your trust WHEN you receive permission/authority from the ATF to possess your NFA item.

That is, register your NFA item with the ATF in the name of the trust and when the ATF approves ownership by the trust, move your property into your trust by completing your assignment of property.

But can you actually transfer AR-15 to a trust after October 1st? Or you can, as long as the trust is yours?

anderson76

Feb 16, 2013

Rusty,

I did read you posts in the IP section, and elsewhere, about the issue of transferring regulated items to the trust. But I am unable to follow you reasoning as to why this should only be done after From 1 approval. Here is the way I think you see it (please correct me if I am misstating your position):

1. Md. creates title to the regulated firearm through the From 77R.

2. Titled property can only be transferred by transferring title.

3. MSP won’t perform / recognize a transfer of a regulated firearm to a trust.

4. Once the trust get the Form 1 approved, the Form 1 serves as title to the SBR, therefore, it is now lawful to transfer the SBR to the trust.

I think this is what you are saying? Maybe you can flesh out our reasoning a bit? Here is my response:

1. The 77R is like a title in that it is some evidence of ownership. However, I don’t think it is a title in the same sense as title to a vehicle or real property. For example if I move to Md. in possession of a regulated firearm, I can’t get the MSP to issue a 77R. Or if I manufacture a regulated firearm, MSP wont issue me a 77R. What if I inherit a regulated firearm, MSP wont issue a 77R. My point is that I believe the 77R is quite different from what are understood as title instruments.

2. I disagree here. It is true that best practices dictates that titled property should be transferred by transferring the title instrument. However, ownership of such property can be transferred without transferring the “legal title”. This occurs quite often through pour-over provisions in wills or in testamentary trusts (to give few examples).

3. I don’t doubt you on this.

4. Form 1 is permission for the trust to manufacture an SBR. Assuming the SBR will be made from an AR15 lower, then logic would dictate, that the AR15 lower would have to be made part of the corpus of the trust / trust property before it is turned into an SBR. Stated differently, the AR15 lower (a regulated firearms in the eyes of the MSP) must be transferred to the trust prior to being made into an SBR. Otherwise, is not the Trust that is manufacturing the SBR.

With all the said, I don’t see how placing the AR15 lower into trust after Form 1 approval is any less of a problem than transferring it prior to approval.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Rusty,

I did read you posts in the IP section, and elsewhere, about the issue of transferring regulated items to the trust. But I am unable to follow you reasoning as to why this should only be done after From 1 approval. Here is the way I think you see it (please correct me if I am misstating your position):

1. Md. creates title to the regulated firearm through the From 77R.

2. Titled property can only be transferred by transferring title.

3. MSP won’t perform / recognize a transfer of a regulated firearm to a trust.

4. Once the trust get the Form 1 approved, the Form 1 serves as title to the SBR, therefore, it is now lawful to transfer the SBR to the trust.

I think this is what you are saying? Maybe you can flesh out our reasoning a bit? Here is my response:

1. The 77R is like a title in that it is some evidence of ownership. However, I don’t think it is a title in the same sense as title to a vehicle or real property. For example if I move to Md. in possession of a regulated firearm, I can’t get the MSP to issue a 77R. Or if I manufacture a regulated firearm, MSP wont issue me a 77R. What if I inherit a regulated firearm, MSP wont issue a 77R. My point is that I believe the 77R is quite different from what are understood as title instruments.

2. I disagree here. It is true that best practices dictates that titled property should be transferred by transferring the title instrument. However, ownership of such property can be transferred without transferring the “legal title”. This occurs quite often through pour-over provisions in wills or in testamentary trusts (to give few examples).

3. I don’t doubt you on this.

4. Form 1 is permission for the trust to manufacture an SBR. Assuming the SBR will be made from an AR15 lower, then logic would dictate, that the AR15 lower would have to be made part of the corpus of the trust / trust property before it is turned into an SBR. Stated differently, the AR15 lower (a regulated firearms in the eyes of the MSP) must be transferred to the trust prior to being made into an SBR. Otherwise, is not the Trust that is manufacturing the SBR.

With all the said, I don’t see how placing the AR15 lower into trust after Form 1 approval is any less of a problem than transferring it prior to approval.

You lay out part of my reasoning very well but you're missing some large swaths of the legal landscape on this issue. Its complicated and, unless you're an attorney, I'm not going to get into it with you because my doing so might be construed as the provision of legal advice. Now, if you have a law degree and are licensed to practice, I'm more than happy to discuss the matter with you in private.

anderson76

Feb 16, 2013
    Rusty I wish that you would be a bit more forthcoming on this issue. I don’t understand your apprehension to divulge your reasoning on the basis that you don’t want it to be construed as legal advice. In this one thread alone, you already dispensed plenty of legal advice.

OP’s question was whether transferring a regulated firearm into a trust would run afoul of the Form 77r transfer process.

You seem to acknowledge that this might cause an issue. You stated regulated firearms cannot be transferred into a trust in their current state:

You also stated the workaround to this problem is to assign over the firearm only after the Trust receives Form 1 approval:

You have already given plenty of advice. I’m not asking you to doll out any more. I’m just trying to tease out the rational underpinning the advice given.

You then stated that your rational was contained in other posts. I searched your posts and tried my best to capture and set forth you reasoning. You responded by saying that I was partial right but I was missing swaths of the legal landscape:

You lay out part of my reasoning very well but you're missing some large swaths of the legal landscape on this issue. Its complicated and, unless you're an attorney, I'm not going to get into it with you because my doing so might be construed as the provision of legal advice. Now, if you have a law degree and are licensed to practice, I'm more than happy to discuss the matter with you in private.

Look, I pay my client security fund just like you do. I looked at this issue long and hard before drafting my trust. What if found most interesting is your comment that the State of Md. creates “legal title” to the regulated firearms through the form 77R application. That had never occurred to me. I don’t believe that that the 77R is the equivalent of legal title, but I can see where you are coming from..

However, if you are right, and the 77R is Legal Title, then we have a big problem for firearms trusts (at least those that contain regulated firearms):

An express trust is formed when the settlor / grantor splits title / ownership of property into legal title and equitable title. The trustee then manages the trust property for the benefits of the beneficiaries. In a typical gun trust the settlor is also the initial trustee and beneficiary. (Rusty, I know you know this, but I am just putting this out for the benefit of the lay-reader; Not trying to insult your intelligence). If the 77R is legal title, (like a deed, stock certificate, or negotiable instrument), then it needs to be transferred to the trustee in order to accomplish the necessary division of title to form a trust (this is in contrast to non-title property which can be transferred through assignment of physical delivery). This can only be done with the blessing of the MSP. You state that MSP won’t perform a transfer to a trust. Under this scenario it is impossible to ever place the regulated firearm into trust. In other words, you can never transfer legal title (the 77R) to yourself, in your capacity as trustee, under the terms of the trust agreement. Both legal and equitable title stays with the same person. Consequently, a trust is never formed.

Like I said, I’m not trying to bust your stones. I’m just trying to pick your brain.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Technically, no. I was talking about a to be-nfa item in regulated configuration that would be transferred pre 10/1 to be the base for a pre 10/1 form 1 submission.

Why bother transferring it to your trust now, if you aren't applying for the tax stamp yet? You will be listing the trust on the form 1/4 when you are ready to take the NFA leap, which at the moment is outside the scope of MD gun control and not affected by the new law.

anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Why bother transferring it to your trust now, if you aren't applying for the tax stamp yet? You will be listing the trust on the form 1/4 when you are ready to take the NFA leap, which at the moment is outside the scope of MD gun control and not affected by the new law.

Actually, since transferring is illegal after Oct 1; CAN you transfer to a trust at all if the trust isn't assigned the firearm by Sep 30?

I wish I would have thought of this earlier. Was going to start a trust, but used the money for more lowers. Now, perhaps a trust isn't even an option for SBR from existing rifles?

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Look, you can write all of the long responses you want. Unless you contact me and provide me with proof that you are a licensed member of the bar, I'm not discussing the matter in detail.

If you're just trying to pick my brain, call me. Happy to talk if I'm available.

Rusty I wish that you would be a bit more forthcoming on this issue. I don’t understand your apprehension to divulge your reasoning on the basis that you don’t want it to be construed as legal advice. In this one thread alone, you already dispensed plenty of legal advice.

OP’s question was whether transferring a regulated firearm into a trust would run afoul of the Form 77r transfer process.

You seem to acknowledge that this might cause an issue. You stated regulated firearms cannot be transferred into a trust in their current state:

You also stated the workaround to this problem is to assign over the firearm only after the Trust receives Form 1 approval:

You have already given plenty of advice. I’m not asking you to doll out any more. I’m just trying to tease out the rational underpinning the advice given.

You then stated that your rational was contained in other posts. I searched your posts and tried my best to capture and set forth you reasoning. You responded by saying that I was partial right but I was missing swaths of the legal landscape:

Look, I pay my client security fund just like you do. I looked at this issue long and hard before drafting my trust. What if found most interesting is your comment that the State of Md. creates “legal title” to the regulated firearms through the form 77R application. That had never occurred to me. I don’t believe that that the 77R is the equivalent of legal title, but I can see where you are coming from..

However, if you are right, and the 77R is Legal Title, then we have a big problem for firearms trusts (at least those that contain regulated firearms):

An express trust is formed when the settlor / grantor splits title / ownership of property into legal title and equitable title. The trustee then manages the trust property for the benefits of the beneficiaries. In a typical gun trust the settlor is also the initial trustee and beneficiary. (Rusty, I know you know this, but I am just putting this out for the benefit of the lay-reader; Not trying to insult your intelligence). If the 77R is legal title, (like a deed, stock certificate, or negotiable instrument), then it needs to be transferred to the trustee in order to accomplish the necessary division of title to form a trust (this is in contrast to non-title property which can be transferred through assignment of physical delivery). This can only be done with the blessing of the MSP. You state that MSP won’t perform a transfer to a trust. Under this scenario it is impossible to ever place the regulated firearm into trust. In other words, you can never transfer legal title (the 77R) to yourself, in your capacity as trustee, under the terms of the trust agreement. Both legal and equitable title stays with the same person. Consequently, a trust is never formed.

Like I said, I’m not trying to bust your stones. I’m just trying to pick your brain.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton

I was applying for the stamps and sent out the paperwork that day last week.
    Because I wanted the transfer to the trust of the items to be done through the assignment of property before the form 1's went out last week and before 10/1. When I said pre-nfa, I meant in rifle form waiting to be sbr'd when approval comes back. My decision was to only transfer non regulated items into the trust. I had enough in a configuration that was not regulated at the time but possibly regulated after 10/1 to get what I wanted done. 9mm AR, .223 AR, ACR, CX4, M&P .22. All in a non regulated form. Only the .22 would have been for sure legal to transfer. even to a trust even in the way that MD sees a trust. after 10/1 until the hbar status is clarified with an actual barrel profile. I also wanted pre 10/1 submissions on anything that was going to wind up under 29", just to be sure.

The two blank lowers that I had intended to be SBRs are rifles in a format I'm happy with now.

The goal was to get it done before 10/1.

Mission accomplished though I should have done it months ago.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Actually, since transferring is illegal after Oct 1; CAN you transfer to a trust at all if the trust isn't assigned the firearm by Sep 30?

I wish I would have thought of this earlier. Was going to start a trust, but used the money for more lowers. Now, perhaps a trust isn't even an option for SBR from existing rifles?

It is and I can help. Shoot me a PM and we can talk about it.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    I regret not just letting you handle everything for me.

Eh, live and learn. I'm happy to help where I can and if you ask anyone who has had me draw up a trust, I answer A LOT of questions for no charge. However, in this day and age, its getting hard to be generous because too many people take advantage of my time and energy. Nonetheless, if you run into issues, feel free to shoot me an e-mail and I will attempt to answer your questions within reason.

Please keep in mind that detailed legal advice will require a fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom