• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Hey everyone, new to the forums. Atlantic in Rockville is my favorite store. Picked up a nice Glock 17 Gen 4 during their Glock Days on fri. It was cool seeing the Glock factory rep there, doing free work on guns for people. Lots of good advice to go around.
    I don't think anyone faults their customer service or selection - their prices just tend to be on the wrong side of "very high".

MrBojangles

Feb 22, 2010
    I don't think anyone faults their customer service or selection - their prices just tend to be on the wrong side of "very high".

Yeah, I understand. I've got some friends there, but they're definitely trying to keep you on customer service as opposed to getting in a price war with other stores.

I also thought it was interesting earlier when I think someone was mentioning how it would make more sense to sell a lot of guns at lower prices and get return customers than to keep prices higher. That doesn't make as much sense to me, because you'd make the same profit, but now you have to deal with problems of oversaturation of the market.

buffalobob

Dec 10, 2009
    DC
    These are some of the guns that I have bought from Atlantic Guns in Silver Springs.

crows2010.jpg

grousegun1-1.jpg

P1010195.jpg

LSdoves1.jpg

MrBojangles

Feb 22, 2010
    Over-saturation of the market? We are talking about guns, not gold, diamonds, or anything of that nature.

Really? That makes sense to you? Most gun owners own only one gun, it's a much smaller percent of the market that owns several, and a very low percentage that buy guns on a consistent and regular basis.

Especially in Montgomery County, in one of the most liberal states in the Union, over-saturation is a legitimate concern. Multiply the number of guns Atlantic sells a year, which can roughly be described as a shit-ton, by all the other gun stores in MD. I mostly shop at Atlantic, but I'm sure Engage and a lot of these other stores are selling a lot too. So why would you cut your profit margain down and flood the market?

buffalobob

Dec 10, 2009
    DC
    birds with a handgun = illegal.

It wasn't in Maryland. I hunt a lot of places. That was dinner for me one evening.

I use 180 gr plated bullets in front of 8 gr of trail boss. Very low velocity minimal recoil with the 460 S&W. Very little meat damage.

Here is dinner on a different day with a 40 X in 308. This gun was transferred to me by Atlantic Guns.

rabbit1_edited.jpg

J T Bolt

Nov 4, 2007
    District 18
    I have walked in with a metaphoric pocket full of cash on more that one occasion and they never acknowledged my existence. Understandable on busy days. But I have also been there when there were more clerks than customers in the store. Just not that friendly.

That said, sometimes they have the inventory I am looking for. If I ever decided to buy there I will just bring a horn or something to get their attention.

SciereVeritas

Jan 27, 2010
    Really? That makes sense to you? Most gun owners own only one gun, it's a much smaller percent of the market that owns several, and a very low percentage that buy guns on a consistent and regular basis.

Especially in Montgomery County, in one of the most liberal states in the Union, over-saturation is a legitimate concern. Multiply the number of guns Atlantic sells a year, which can roughly be described as a shit-ton, by all the other gun stores in MD. I mostly shop at Atlantic, but I'm sure Engage and a lot of these other stores are selling a lot too. So why would you cut your profit margain down and flood the market?

People just drive 30min and buy the same guns for $100-$300 less then they have them for. Does it not make sense to sell 10 guns/week at $500 rather than 3/week at $650?

I am going to have to disagree with the "Most gun owners own only one gun" part also.

MrBojangles

Feb 22, 2010
    People just drive 30min and buy the same guns for $100-$300 less then they have them for. Does it not make sense to sell 10 guns/week at $500 rather than 3/week at $650?

I am going to have to disagree with the "Most gun owners own only one gun" part also.

Well you can disagree, but all the statistics I've seen bear that out. Most gunowners nationwide aren't shooting enthusiasts, they're home defense owners.

It does make sense to me to sell 3 at $650 because most people shop based on need/ want rather than price. Gas is the same everywhere, so people will go somewhere else if it's 1 cent cheaper. People go into gunstores to browse, see something cool, and buy it. Or they want a gun, go to a store, and get sold a gun. Not a ton of people shop around based on price. Not a lot I've seen and talked to shopping around me anyway.

I go to the stores I like with the people I like, price isn't a huge concern to me.

Seko

Dec 6, 2008
    MoCo
    Well I for one would rather support a local dealer than an online seller. But when they list a wasr 10 at $700 while it sells for $400 online it does make me feel like they want to take you for every penny you got. And since my first mistake there i have bought 3 more guns that could have been their business had they not try to take advantage of me.

FightForTheRight

Young Gun
    Jan 13, 2010
    Montgomery County
    I was also at Atlantic Guns for their Glock days sale on Friday. I wanted to check out the 4th gens and had the representative take a look at my glock 19 to make sure it was in excellent condition (which it was... ). Then after having a look around I went on my way. They are nice people, but I'm not too sure if I like their prices on certain products.

wjt1169

Well you can disagree, but all the statistics I've seen bear that out. Most gunowners nationwide aren't shooting enthusiasts, they're home defense owners.

It does make sense to me to sell 3 at $650 because most people shop based on need/ want rather than price. Gas is the same everywhere, so people will go somewhere else if it's 1 cent cheaper. People go into gunstores to browse, see something cool, and buy it. Or they want a gun, go to a store, and get sold a gun. Not a ton of people shop around based on price. Not a lot I've seen and talked to shopping around me anyway.

I go to the stores I like with the people I like, price isn't a huge concern to me.

...WOW!

SciereVeritas

Jan 27, 2010
    He clearly takes pride in getting ripped off and taken for every penny they can squeeze out of him. But hey, thats all personal preference.

I know many people with guns also and I would say the majority of them have at the minimum 2 guns and they are not shooting enthusiasts.

Provide your sources for your "statistics" for all of us also, thanks.

It makes sense for you to make 3 sales, when you know wholeheartedly that you could sell more if your prices were lower? Hopefully you are not a business owner. Sorry to break it to you but people do shop around based on price. People shop around for the best price on everything. If they don't then they clearly are not smart with their money and are impulse buyers. People wouldn't ask dealers in the Industry Partners section prices on guns they have if what you said is true, they would just go in and buy it no matter what.

SciereVeritas

Jan 27, 2010
    Well I for one would rather support a local dealer than an online seller. But when they list a wasr 10 at $700 while it sells for $400 online it does make me feel like they want to take you for every penny you got. And since my first mistake there i have bought 3 more guns that could have been their business had they not try to take advantage of me.

As would I, but when the difference in price is that crazy they are just asking for people to not buy from them.

buffalobob

Dec 10, 2009
    DC
    If I go in and ask for a scope base screw they bring out a jar of tiny screws and say take it down the counter spread them out and get what you need. No charge!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom