What with the MD Assault Weapons ban do to NFA weapons?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT HAS AN OVERALL LENGTH OF LESS THAN 30 INCHES

ALL NFA OWNERS PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THIS

You can NO LONGER TRANSPORT a centerfire SBR off Maryland soil and bring it back in if this passes!!!

This is a big huge f'ing deal as Biden would say! This also outlaws NEW SBR's after it goes into effect!

Done! Gone! Along with centerfire "AOW's", because they are caught up in this mess too in the other provisions. (front handgrip, magazine outside the mag well, etc, etc.)

Oh, ya, this is gonna be good. Read this bill carefully, you probably have more at stake than you think. ALL NFA FIREARMS APPEAR TO BE SUBJECT TO THIS LAW. I do not see a specific carve out.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You also can't have a threaded barrel on a pistol that might be used to "mount a suppressor". What if I have a legal f'ing suppressor? Since none of these morons know anything about firearms, they didn't think of any of this.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    You also can't have a threaded barrel on a pistol that might be used to "mount a suppressor". What if I have a legal f'ing suppressor? Since none of these morons know anything about firearms, they didn't think of any of this.

I knew they'd get around to this.

I submitted my forms to BATFE in mid October for a rimfire suppressor, wonder what happens to schit that is in process at this point. :sad20:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I submitted my forms to BATFE in mid October for a rimfire suppressor, wonder what happens to schit that is in process at this point. :sad20:

I'm in the same boat you are. There will need to be an amendment to the bill to address this.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I'm in the same boat you are. There will need to be an amendment to the bill to address this.

There is no ban on suppressors, just on pistols only. I won't talk about deficiencies in this bill, but I would not sweat it, it's ******** and easily defeated by technology!

There is NO AMENDMENT NEEDED, This Bill Needs To DIE!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

You'll get to register your rimfire pistol as an Assault Weapon, as clearly, that's an all out assault weapon. :lol2: Do you know how many crimes silenced rimfire pistols were committed last year?!?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    You'll get to register your rimfire pistol as an Assault Weapon, as clearly, that's an all out assault weapon. :lol2: Do you know how many crimes silenced rimfire pistols were committed last year?!?

In the movies? :rolleyes:

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA

Time to break out the tongue depressors and the duct tape :toothless

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

So I'll have an "assault" 22/45? Brilliant!

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    All this bill talk makes me wanna puke. Its freaking me out! I need a suppressor but cant afford one at the moment.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Assuming Markp's thesis is correct...

Suppressors: not affected by themselves. They are flash hiders, though, so no new semi-auto pistol or semi-auto centerfire rifle hosts after the ban.

Form 1: A form 1 is only permission to manufacture, so you need the form back AND the actual chop to below 16" before October 1. If you do the chop afterwards, you have technically manufactured a new firearm that would not be eligible for registering/grandfathering.

Form 4: You will need to have the SBR/SBS/AOW in your hands before October 1. Remember that all SBRs and SBSs are regulated, as they are included under handguns, so you will need to have an extra week before the cut-off for the MSP check.

Unless NFA wait times dramatically improve in the next few months, or we get bumped to the head of the line closer to October, we are basically out of time for doing a form 3->form 4 transfer, as it would take too long. You could probably sneak in a form 1 or form 4 if you act in February or March.

There is some good news in that this regulation doesn't seem to hit SBSs, rimfire SBRs, or certain AOWs (eg, Serbu Super Shorty). So we're not quite a no-NFA state.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    ...And I just got my NFA trust notarized. :sad20:

Unfortunately I cannot afford to move to Virginia because I stand to lose too much on my house.

I guess it's time for a second salvo of emails, letters, and making phone calls today.

THIS BAN MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO PASS!

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    The best part of this ban is .... nevermind

I don't see why you can't travel with your SBR... I don't see that in the law.

I wonder about 3 lug barrels like MP5s...

For me I have belt fed Semi autos like the 1919a4, MG34, MG42 that may now be considered assault rifles. How about a semi vickers... I would say thats not a rifle so I don't have to worry.

I also wonder how we will have to register. Will they want to see the guns? Thats a lot of guns to see for the police! I bet we will just have to mail it in. In which case... well I plan to register most of my guns as assault weapons.

Last edited:

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    The best part of this ban is that possession of high Cap mags is still legal...

I wonder about 3 lug barrels like MP5s...

For me I have belt fed Semi autos like the 1919a4, MG34, MG42 that may now be considered assault rifles. How about a semi vickers... I would say thats not a rifle so I don't have to worry.

I also wonder how we will have to register. Will they want to see the guns? Thats a lot of guns to see for the police! I bet we will just have to mail it in. In which case... well I plan to register most of my guns as assault weapons.

There is some debate to that. My concern is that they may decide that SBR's may be caught up in the "copy cat" language, correctly or incorrectly.

Since all centerfire rifles under 30 inches are now "copy cat" assault weapons, I can see where they might try apply this to SBR's. Additionally, the law does not specifically state how they measure OAL, which I think is VERY sneaky, even if all folding stock rifles are by definition now assault weapons, I suppose it doesn't much matter. Remember, they are not passing this law to protect our rights but to strip us of as much as they can as quickly as they can!

WTF does overall length have to do with anything (other than perhaps an effort to ban small .22 semi-autos)!

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    This is just too f'ng stupid. Anyone who goes to all the trouble, expense and general RED TAPE to get a centerfire SBR is not the type of person who is going to use it to illegally.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    The best part of this ban is that possession of high Cap mags is still legal...

Don't worry about the details at this point, wonder quietly on some stuff, there is a lot of room to become creative, after all, threads are just that, threads, if they are not threads, they must be something else by definition.

Get it?

On the specific weapons you described above, you have to disassemble the action to load them, therefore not an assault weapon or a large capacity magazine.

Don't worry, these bans cannot stop innovation and generally only create innovation where there was none before. Humans solve problems, illegal weapons bans are a problem, one we will continue to solve until the .gov realizes the futility of it's action.

Don't worry, It's my daily carry "assault weapon". Not!

Attachments

• DSCN0032.jpg
      DSCN0032.jpg
      54.7 KB · Views: 1,228

aehnuke

Aug 20, 2010
    Ahem..

(3)
    A PERSON WHO LAWFULLY POSSESSED AN ASSAULT LONG
    GUN OR A COPYCAT WEAPON BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2013, AND WHO REGISTERS
    THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON WITH THE SECRETARY OF
    STATE POLICE BEFORE NOVEMBER 1, 2013, MAY:
    18 (I)
    19 CONTINUE TO POSSESS THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR
    COPYCAT WEAPON; OR
    (II)
    20 WHILE CARRYING A COURT ORDER REQUIRING THE
    21 SURRENDER OF THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON, TRANSPORT
    22 THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON DIRECTLY TO THE LAW
    23 ENFORCEMENT UNIT, BARRACKS, OR STATION IF THE PERSON HAS NOTIFIED
    24 THE LAW ENFORCEMENT UNIT, BARRACKS, OR STATION THAT THE PERSON IS
    25 TRANSPORTING THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON IN ACCORDANCE
    26 WITH A COURT ORDER AND THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON IS
    27 UNLOADED.
    28 4–304.
    29 A law enforcement unit may seize as contraband and dispose of according to
    30 regulation an assault [pistol] WEAPON transported, sold, transferred, purchased,
    31 received, or possessed in violation of this subtitle.

Everyone here should realize that under the proposed law, even if you already own an 'assault weapon,' leaving your house with it is grounds for confiscation and jail time. Please see the bolded text. 'Assault weapons' will not be able to see the light of day after the bill is passed. Your only "option" is to turn them in to the police, or keep it locked up forever.

My interpretation is that NFA weapons are NOT protected if you own them in MD and they fall under the 'assault weapon' designation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom