• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    So I have a 'custom' built AK74 off a Bulgarian Parts kit. It was built by a guy up in Maine and he did a great job on the rifle, it looks and functions very well. Problem is, I cannot get ANY magazine to fit! Tapco 30's wont fit, and I just picked up some Circle 10 Bulgarian Mil-surp mags that wont fit. He told me he fitted the mag well to Bulgarian military mags and said if I continue to have issues to ship the mags and rifle to him and he will fix it.

Here is my question (for the legal eagles out there), what kind of problems might I encounter if I ship him my rifle and 30rd mags?

Thanks!

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I would say... none.

The rifle and the mags are both in your possession already, so the "transfer" clause doesn't apply for either. You can ship and receive the gun without involving an FFL since it's considered gunsmithing.

However, I'm sure he's got mags of his own so not sure shipping your mags should be necessary. I have found very, very little variation between milsurp ((10)) in terms of fitment. Tapcos are known to be pretty tight until they wear in.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    what do you mean not fitting? not fitting in the mag well or not locking in? could just be a little sanding/filing needed. just my opinion...or ask Clandestine.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    How would he send it back to you? You are forbidden from "receiving" a magazine over ten rounds in MD now. Is that receiving if you get it sent back to MD? Make your own decisions, but I wouldn't do it.

theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    How would he send it back to you? You are forbidden from "receiving" a magazine over ten rounds in MD now. Is that receiving if you get it sent back to MD? Make your own decisions, but I wouldn't do it.

This is what I am trying to verify before sending anything away.

Dukes Defense

Oct 2, 2012
    Could he send them back as parts/rebuild kits?

Yes, parts kits are fine. This is a good question with regard to getting legally possessed magazines "repaired." I'm not sure its actually covered in the old or new law. However, parts kits are completely legal to send and receive... at least for now.

theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    Yes, parts kits are fine. This is a good question with regard to getting legally possessed magazines "repaired." I'm not sure its actually covered in the old or new law. However, parts kits are completely legal to send and receive... at least for now.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does a rebuild kit consist of?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Again, I don't think it's necessary to send mags. They are pretty uniform in terms of fit and he could easily use his own.

Usually if the mag is not fully seating, a tiny bit of material needs to be removed from the rear of the magwell and/or the selector stop. It's an easy fix with a file. But I get why you'd want to have him do it under warranty.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can send a banned firearm out for repair and have it returned. So why not a banned mag?

You are not "transferring" it. AG has declared that "transferring" is permanent change of possession. You are only temporarily sending it to the gunsmith for repair.

theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    Here are some photos I took of the mag in the rifle.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
      photo 1.jpg
      69.5 KB · Views: 145
    • photo 2.jpg
      photo 2.jpg
      51.9 KB · Views: 143
    • photo 3.jpg
      photo 3.jpg
      60 KB · Views: 141
    • photo 4.jpg
      photo 4.jpg
      71.5 KB · Views: 141

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    You could just send the magazine body with the kit. I'm not sure id trust those spot welds, from looking at the pics they look kinda weak. Maybe it's just the pic?

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    looks like the welded in support rail is too wide and needs filing.

I had a similar problem with a WASR I bought. A little filing and it works great.

For some reason the slab sided polymer bulgarian mags are a little smaller, and if your guy used them to fit the rifle, then I'm not surprised they're tight with tapcos.

When I fitted my WASR I fit it Snug as a Bug with Tapco mags, and now the bulgarian slab sides are loosey goosey.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I don't think it's legal. You are transferring possession of them to the FFL for the work, and he would be transferring it back to you afterwards. There's also the receive problem, which is even more intractable.

The parts kit route is a good one if the other FFL will play ball. I mean, really, you only need to send him a mag body, right?

I really think you can solve this problem yourself with a file, OP. And, to be honest, it's a problem you should learn to solve on your own, because AK mags tend to be finicky about fit in general.

The other option is to go out of state and buy steel mags. I found that those tend to have the fewest issues...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, you are not transferring permanent possession.

It is just like sending a firearm to a gunsmith or the manufacturer for repairs or work. No paperwork required, as it is not a transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom