• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    I'm considering buying an ACOG for an upcoming build. Does anyone here have insights to either the TA31F-G vs TA11G? Or is there a different model that you'd consider to be on par with these?

I like the idea of a green reticle, it seems to stand out more easily.
    One's a donut sight, the other's a chevron..
    One's 3.5x magnification, the other's 4x.
    One's 32mm objective, the other's 35mm.

Preferences? Experience? Comments?

Justpassing

Anti-Anti-Gun
    I tried a donut and the chevron.. i've used alot of eotechs so i'm use to the donut which in my opinion is a bit faster to use in close range consideration. since you jsut got to fill in that circle within certain range.

Chevron.. eh, not bad actually can make really sweet shots depending on your eyes. my unit has them :)

2pesos

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    Yeah, I'm a fan of EOTechs and love the quick acquisition with the 65MOA ring, but I'm looking for something more accurate since the center dot of my EOTechs can get a bit fuzzy when shooting for accuracy. Thus, I'm leaning toward the chevron, but my dealer mentioned the donut first, so I'm wondering if there may be something useful there of if the donut is just for quick acquisition.

Justpassing

Anti-Anti-Gun
    well depends on the eye, plus the fact if you used the same type of sights for a while, why try and readjust? its good to be universal but if you want consistency.. goes without saying.

the Chevron is a bit easy on the eyes though and if your align the 2 bottom sides nicely on the shoulders of a target.. the top of the triangle can make a nice headshot ;)

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    +1 for the "Donut of Death". It worked great in Iraq :) Worth every penny I paid. Surf ARFCOM and get a used one. Trijicon stands behind the used as well as the new. I had an old NSN an Trijicon recharged and rebuilt her for free.

Both models you are looking at are great, I have both. The main question is how much magnification do you need?

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    After reading a bit more about it, it looks like the round will impact the top of the donut at 100 yards. Is that hard to get used to? After aiming crosshairs over center mass for so long, did you have to fight the urge to center your target inside the donut?

@ 100 yds
    Zero is top of the outer edge of the top of the donut,
    1MOA to the top of the inner ring of the donut.
    3MOA to the top of the lowest dip inside the donut.
    4MOA to the bottom edge of the donut
    6MOA to the first crosshair...
    ... and so on.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    If taking a long shot with the "Donut of Death", I would put the top of the donut on the neck or center head. It is not a benchrest scope. When I used the donut as cross hairs on center mass shots from 50-300m, hits happen as long as the donut is filled.

If your on the Shore I can let you try one out. Scope works great for hunting also, fill the donut and drop whatever.

But what it really comes down to is this:
    1) Do you need a $1,000 fix power combat scope?
    2) Have you tried/looked at the crosshair ACOG's?
    3) what is the rifle set up? ie: The rifle is my_______ rifle?
    4) Have you read this? http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=229420
    5) No? Read it and this: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=280593

I say, try it before you buy it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom