• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Mine was a repro of a big German Paratrooper knife I bought at a flea market when I was about 12. carried it for years, used it constantly at my first couple jobs, and took it everywhere except for school. They are cool knives, unfold OFT and lock to make them work like a large fixed blade, fold up to cover the blade completely, and make it very safe to carry without a sheath. Probably not legal being it would be a streach to consider it a MD legal "pen knife", but I didn't really know the law when I was 12 years old.
    .this wasn't mine just the first decent google pic, but looks about the same as the one I had.
    o_DSCF0073.jpg

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    My Dad carried a Buck Companion for years. The blade was well worn, but had a few miles left on it, so he gave it to me. That was a great day.:) I promptly lost it and felt like the biggest failure of an 8 year old on the planet.:(

Lesson learned. To this day I rarely lose anything.:thumbsup:

rglrguy

Dec 15, 2010
    Harford
    My first was a simple, red victorinox. Had large and small blade, screw driver, leather punch, and can opener. I got it when I was about 8 years old up at our family's camp in Maine. My dad made me practice widdling sticks and sharpening pencils while he was around before he let me go off with it. Looking back I don't see why he gave me a non-locking knife, especially one that snaps closed after moving the blade only part of the way. Never lost a finger but had some close calls :)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I think I had a small swiss army or two, but can't really remember much from when I was reallllllly young. The first knife I remember buying(i think alucard might've actually bought it for me at ft meade) was a gerber LST.
    http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Ultralight-Lst-6050.htm

pACE3-4692487dt.jpg

It went with me everywhere, including school when I was growing up:innocent0. I've followed gibbs rule #9 for a while now. I think I ended up breaking it when we lived at the apartments at fairway hills. After doing the "rob+kara" thing on the tree(this was 6th or 7th grade I think), she and I took turns trying to throw it and get it to stick in the tree. Eventually one of my throws ended up busting the thing.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    My first was a Camillus Cub Scout Knife. I'm not sure what happened to it. I think my sister might have stolen it from me when we were kids and probably still has it. She's a major hoader.

My first lockback was a tiny 2/3 inch knife I asked my mom to buy for me at Sears when I was 11. Unfortunately, that disappeared somewhere along the line.

I then bought a cheapo plastic handled lockback at Walmart for $6.99 when I was in my 20's and carried that on my keychain for the next 5 years or so.

When I hit my early 30's my girlfriend at the time bought me my first real knife, which was a Kershaw Whirlwind. I lost and replaced it twice due to a loose pocket clip.

A couple of years I started getting into knife collecting when I was working at the state fair and bought my first Benchmade.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    My first one was an "old timer" my grand father gave me when I was 7 i guess. I spent alot of time on his farm and that thing got abused to the max lol. a few years later when I was old enough to hunt he gave me one of his older Buck types. When he passed I got some of his collection including one that a cousin made that was really nice. Now my oldest son is 10 and I gave him one simalar to my first.

Believe it or not you can still gewt those "old timer" folding knives. I have a brand new one still in the packaging at home. I think TSC had them on sale a few years ago around Christmas for like $4.99. So I bought 3-4 and gave them some gifts to young men as their first knife. The dad's were exstatic. Can't say the same for one of the mom's. LOL

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Very first was a boot knife I found when I was 7-8. That lasted for maybe 2 days until my mom found it. She DID at least buy me a basic Swiss Army knife as a "trade" until I was old enough for the boot knife. Not sure if she threw it away or gave it away, but I never did get it back lol.

rivertamer

Apr 7, 2012
    MARYLAND
    I saved up and bought a victorinox swiss army tinker.... remember I cut my thumb so deep that I can still see the scar... that was one sharp knife.
    I guess I was around 9 years old then.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I had a Swiss army knife that I got at K-mart when I was about 10. It was called a "Matterhorn"

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    A small little double bladed non locking folder. Used to have it around here, can't place it now, don't remember when I broke the small blade either. Gettin old. He He.:) Have a scar too, from the time it slipped.:D

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Well...I guess my first was a Victorinox classic....

My first folder was some blue cheapo knife my dad bought me at true value.

Then when I was year or so older, I saved up and bought my first knife at Chesapeake Knife and Tool at the Annapolis Mall. It was a Smith & Wesson HRT.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Fantastic Thread and all great memories shared, except mine.

I stole me first "pen-knife", I wasn't allowed to have one even though I was a cub scout. Parents said we couldn't afford one, WTF ?

I went to the local Pharmacy which had the pen knives on that swivel turntable and picked up two of them and slid one down my coat sleeve, my life of crime had started.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    My very first knife wasn't really a knife exactly, it was a tiny, dull souvenir with a compass in the handle. Looked similar to this but much nicer and was new from a roadside store.

66808a.jpg

During my childhood, I had several pocket knives, mostly hand-me-downs, I used them all carefully enough. Case, Old Timers, hawksbill, etc.
    Here's an example of one, might still have it or one similar:
    320833037231.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom