• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ELCAM

Dec 17, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Its 31" OAL based off my calcs.. I was just talking to Mr. Cook yesterday and he brought up concern with the handgun roster. I did get something in writing from Cpl Edwards stating I would have to submit to the handgun roster if I sold the gun, but not for ATF approval.

Do you also mind sharing the email with me?

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Per Mr. Cook, you won't get an approval until MSP clarifies. I sent the email I got from Cpl Edwards to Mr. Cook, but part of his email says MSP is reviewing how to treat pre October lowers/rifles and whether they will be legal or not. No timeline on the review is available.....

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Per Mr. Cook, you won't get an approval until MSP clarifies. I sent the email I got from Cpl Edwards to Mr. Cook, but part of his email says MSP is reviewing how to treat pre October lowers/rifles and whether they will be legal or not. No timeline on the review is available.....

Was there an indication if they'd hold the application until a decision is made, or just outright deny it?

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Was there an indication if they'd hold the application until a decision is made, or just outright deny it?

My feeling is that he is waiting on guidance, but that was directly related to my resubmission. He didn't come out and say directly, but my feeling was that he won't deny until MSP screws us or gives him the okay.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    My feeling is that he is waiting on guidance, but that was directly related to my resubmission. He didn't come out and say directly, but my feeling was that he won't deny until MSP screws us or gives him the okay.

Well, four months puts me right around Christmas (and on my honeymoon), so maybe there will be some clarity at that point.....and a nice gift to me!

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton

Mine was denied, but he said to send him what the msp says.

Apr 26, 2012
    Editorial note: first real post that I'll publicly repent for in an intro post later as I'm an admitted LONG time lurker

I just had a Form 1 "DISAPPROVED" by Shaun D. Cook from Martinsburg ATF branch for "MD State Law--Assault Weapon Prohibited"

Here's the overall fact pattern:
    Bought Kriss Vector Carbine 12/27/2012
    Submitted Form 1 to MSP for SBR conversion 9/19/2013
    Received MSP Approval 9/23/2013
    Received MSP Approval in the mail 10/31/2013
    Submitted Form 1 to the ATF 11/8/2013
    ATF cashes my check (filed as individual) 11/12/2013
    ATF "DISAPPROVED". 7/1/2014
    Received disapproval in mail from ATF 7/3/2014

So it appears the issues are the OAL being < 29" and submitting after 10/1. Given the recent communication from MSP that SBRs are categorized as handguns and the KRISS SDP is listed on the handgun roster, do I have any options to resubmit and high probability of approval? If so, what does that process look like? It appears other members are resubmitting and attaching communications with MSP, but not sure how long they'll sit in limbo. This will be shocking, but I'm a little uncertain/confused on this whole process; any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and I'm hoping like many of you the ambiguity of what should be pretty simple gets cleared up.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I posted this in a couple other threads related to this topic, but I sent Mr. Cook a copy of what Engage got as far as SBR's and also Cpl. Edwards email stating that SBR form 1's only have to be submitted to the handgun roster if I planned on selling my SBR. Since then, I have not gotten anything back from Mr. Cook. That was over a week ago. I provided all map guidance and by my own eyes everything looked okay, but now no response. I don't know if thats a good thing and they are going to process my resubmission or if it will just sit or get denied.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    After reading through this thread, think I am going to stick with a 16" barrel for my AR .300 BLK. Was thinking about going with 10.5" but just the headache from reading this thread is insane. Cannot imagine the headache of actually applying to the ATF for the SBR.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Trust me, I am feeling the pain of this mess. I have not heard anything else back from Cook after I sent him documentation, still. I'm hoping thats a good sign....

Los

Jan 13, 2013
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    Another data point

I've read this and other threads, and frankly the subject makes my head hurt. I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, but this is confusing to the point that the good folks charged with enforcing the law seem a bit confused themselves.

It reminds me of the various politicians who have been caught not paying all their taxes and they credibly claimed that the tax laws were so confusing, they didn't understand them. That excuse was even used by the Chair of the House Committee on Taxation, Charlie Rangel, one of the guys who writes the laws. If that dude can't understand tax law, how the @#$% are we supposed to?!? (I'm accepting at face value here that he isn't a sneaky, thieving, crooked politician and instead didn't understand his own laws).

OK, getting off my soap box...

Here's my experience, on the off chance this helps further our understanding of SBR law in Maryland. I submitted a Form 1 for an AR-15 SBR in July 2013. It was approved by BATFE in April 2014.

The length of the gun was listed on the Form 1 as 29".

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom