• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I'm thinking about setting up a 10yd airsoft "range" in my basement. I know little about the current state of airsoft guns. I've searched around, but I haven't found any good sources of information.

Are there any airsoft pistols that are accurate at 10 yards? I'm talking nearly as accurate as a real pistol would be. I'd want it to be quiet as well, so which is quieter, electric, co2, or spring? If there exists something that is both accurate and quiet, who makes good guns? I don't mind spending 100 bucks on something if it is good quality. I don't want a cheap toy, and if that is all there is out there, then I guess I'll just have to hit the range more often.

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    I'm thinking about setting up a 10yd airsoft "range" in my basement. I know little about the current state of airsoft guns. I've searched around, but I haven't found any good sources of information.

Are there any airsoft pistols that are accurate at 10 yards? I'm talking nearly as accurate as a real pistol would be. I'd want it to be quiet as well, so which is quieter, electric, co2, or spring? If there exists something that is both accurate and quiet, who makes good guns? I don't mind spending 100 bucks on something if it is good quality. I don't want a cheap toy, and if that is all there is out there, then I guess I'll just have to hit the range more often.

You'll be hard pressed to find an Airsoft pistol that will be "real steel accurate" at 10 yards. Although you'll be blocking weather factors by it being indoors, you'll still be shooting a small plastic sphere. The way to combat it is by shooting a heavier gram BB (standard is .20g, but I, would use either .25g or .28).

As far as it being quiet, spring pistols will be the most quiet, but the least well built. AEPs (automatic electronic pistols) are a little more reliable, but not very accurate.

Your best bet would be picking up a gas blowback (GBB) replica. These can run off propane or green gas fills. You can find the propane in little 5 dollar lantern tanks in the camping section of Wal-Mart or Sears. Since you'll be in an enclosed environment, you'll probably want to get green gas instead do you don't have to smell propane.

It will be slightly louder than the other options, but not so loud as to need any type of hearing protection. You can even purchase a mock suppressor and fill it with foam which cuts down on the noise a bit.

There are more upgrade posts available for the gas blowbacks, so you can increase the accuracy.

Go on AirsoftGI.com and check out the KWA gas pistols. They're hard to beat for the price.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I have several spring models that are quite accurate with the right weight ammo for each. 10-15ft is minute of sprickett and little more realistic for accuracy work but some rifles seem to be pretty good out to 20ft or so for small targets. All you need is a blanket for a backstop and you can even have it "funnel" ammo into a box for reuse. If you must shoot farther there are plenty of bb/pellet guns that will be as good at 10 yds as you are. Softairs are incredibly sensitive to ammo weight and the only way to find out is to try it. A bb/pellet range will require a little more elaborate backstop. I would have a layer of cardboard the heavier the better and a layer of plywood a few inches behind it (2x4 sides with a cardboard front and plywood back) which can also funnel into a box as well. It is easy to make a portable indoor range to fulfill most of your indoor training whims.

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    Thank you for the very detailed reply!

Anytime! Aside from shooting real steel, I'm really big into Airsoft. I have a team that practices every weekend...we train for national force-on-force competitions that take place throughout the year. We will be heading to Ft Drum, MY this year in June for an annual "OP" that takes place on their MOUT facility.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Good quality brand spring guns are accurate enough to hit a soda can at 10yds. Like said above use heavier pellets.

Gas blowbacks(GBB) are more accurate and function like real handguns with moving slides and some recoil. They are considerably more expensive, though and most use propane which isn't a great idea indoors. If you do get a gas gun it'll need to be green gas compatible, but again green gas costs more and can't be found locally. I have a GBB Wilson CQB Elite replica and it's very realistic and fairly accurate but the propane smells a lot.

Non-blowback C02 pistols are basically BB pistols designed to fire airsoft pellets. They are very accurate, and use standard C02 canisters that you can buy at walmart or dicks. They aren't very popular with airsofters though because they are much harding hitting than other types.

Automatic electric pistols (AEP), are iffy. There are a few high dollar ones that are nice, but a lot of them are junk. They are the least powerful of all types.

Personally, I'd recommend you pick up a basic spring pistol locally at Dicks or Bass pro just to get started, then go from there to a GBB as you desire more advanced guns.

sficksr

Feb 6, 2012
    harford co
    I own a gas blow back we 1911 this thing is legit. Right on at 10 yards with .20g bbs. Even though there is no muzzle lift the blow blow back feature makes it so you have reacquire your sight picture after every shot.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I didn't know about the CO2 style ones. I like the idea of just being able to pop in a new canister. That is probably the way I'll go. Do any of you have a recommendation on those?

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    I didn't know about the CO2 style ones. I like the idea of just being able to pop in a new canister. That is probably the way I'll go. Do any of you have a recommendation on those?

If you get the ones that use propane/green gas, you just use a propane adapter to fill the magazine with gas. Takes all of 5 seconds per mag, and you can practice mag changes ;)

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

Wal Mart has a few and you should find everything you need to get started there. Check out Airsplat or softair megastore for big selections.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    you can buy scaled-down steel poppers, plate racks and the like, or do what i did and make some, just using sheet metal.

2nd vote for the blowback pistols (mine is S&W 1911 replica) and using the green gas. what is nice about gas vs co2 is you recharge the gas each mag run so you can always shoot a complete mag, whereas with co2 sometimes it dies in the middle of a mag.

just beware those danged pellets go EVERYWHERE and will find every nook and cranny in your basement. wear safety glasses as they do bounce back.

Attachments

• basement steel challenge.jpg
      basement steel challenge.jpg
      81.3 KB · Views: 234

migwl300

May 24, 2014
    Montgomery County
    if you want your airsoft gun to match you real steel gun you have fewer options
    if you have a 1911, get this or one of the models with the bells and whistles
    http://www.evike.com/products/37722/

If you have a glock then get either a stark arms or WE pistol and buy the WE CO2 mags. WE mags work in the stark arms and the WE

if you have a M&P then get the WE "big bird" and get the CO2 mags or buy the vfc licensed version

beretta: get a KWA

XDM: we version and CO2 mags...........

I think you can see the pattern

anyway best of luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom