• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Squirrels are plenty in SoMD. I had to put up with them this morning. :mad54:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    We have a huge Fox population, so we don't see too many squirrels or rabbits.

Jim Smith

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sat over a water hole tonight. Had two nice bucks come in just before dark. A 3 1/2 yr. old 8 point and a 2 1/2 yr. old 7 point. Both inside 20 yards. I let them walk. Not what I was looking for. Water is the key right now I think.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Bucks are breaking up, going to their fall ranges? Acorns are starting to drop=change in feeding habits?...
    Yup, I agree and raise you one:

1) Bachelor groups breaking up, subordinate bucks being pushed around. The big guy is taking prime breeding territory and the little guys are trying to stay out of his way.

2) Acorn crops are dropping here too. Food crops change, both with mast production, seasonal changes and weather. As warm as it's been most places, they might be eating more grass than acorns. You'll probably see them back on the acorns, beans and corn when it gets cool again.

3) Cover is changing. Weeds and low annual growth is dying back, going brown, exposing areas that were formerly secure. This changes both browse and cover and deer will move to feel safe.

Water might be a good draw until it rains. I had tried to hunt waterholes that were beaten down in August but deserted with the first of the mid-September rains. That's how I know it's finally bow season: it starts to rain every Saturday. :D

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I hear they have been moving to upscale neighbor hoods. Where there is an abundance of big screen T.V.'s as they are in disbelief of the Orioles progress and attempting to see them on TV before its too late :-)

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I hear they have been moving to upscale neighbor hoods. Where there is an abundance of big screen T.V.'s as they are in disbelief of the Orioles progress and attempting to see them on TV before its too late :-)
    I think this is at least partly true. I took a nice 8 pointer just outside Annapolis a couple years ago and he had a belly full of azalea leaves. Probably watching TV as he browsed.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I am seeing more and more deer along the side of the road on my 600 mile nightly drives.

A big increase in fawn vs auto deaths aside from the usual deer vs auto mortalities. They are no longer glued to their mother's hips. They 're learning their E&E tactics. Doing a lot of running around. I always notice this, this time of year. Only good thing, if you can say good thing, about that is fawns do less damage.

Re Mooseman: I took that as in no longer eating...anything.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    They are moving to the less opulent neighborhoods as well. A few weeks ago I saw one on 28th street just west of I-83.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm kind of curious as to how you're aging them on the hoof?
    Just figured I'd ask how so I can try it out.:thumbsup:

Body size(and shape specifically) and general antler size and mass. I said that backwards. I first look at antlers, if they're good sized then I take a longer look at the body. 2 1/2 year olds are pretty easy to spot. It gets harder deciding between a 3 1/2 an a 4 1/2. I generally won't kill anything younger than 4 1/2(see my thread on "too many deer mounts"). Trail cams make a lot of this easier but sometimes you have to do it on the fly. Main thing is, once they're dead, that's as big as they'll ever get.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Eating grass on the warmer nights?

A big increase in fawn vs auto deaths aside from the usual deer vs auto mortalities. They are no longer glued to their mother's hips. They 're learning their E&E tactics. Doing a lot of running around. I always notice this, this time of year. Only good thing, if you can say good thing, about that is fawns do less damage.

Re Mooseman: I took that as in no longer eating...anything.

Yes, they are eating along the roadside. There are plenty that have not made it to the other side of the road as well.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Rule of thumb concerning deer grub. When it's warm, they eat greens. when it's cold, they eat grains.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

I see them in front of a lot of homes known to occupy dwellers of the non-hunting variety.

Bambi be smart.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Have you seen any coyotes?
    Who are you asking?

I shot a 32# male from the back porch here in Louisa County in May. We now have a group of 6 that run the farm at night and howl within 1/2 mile at least 4-5 nights a week. They were 200 yards from the house at 10:30 night before last. Used to keep the 6.5-284 bolt gun by the kitchen door, but keep a scoped/Streamlight equipped AR-15 with a mag full of 40 grain BTs these days.

I train on another farm about 6 miles from home and there are fresh tracks in the sandy road every morning. Killed a mangy half-grown pup over there last summer.

I'd just trap them, but everybody around here seems to have at least 3-4 rabbit/deer/coon dogs and they run everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom