• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Or the FFL can just call the MSP and say they lost the shell casing and you are not cooperating. Mistakes happen so do what needs to be done before it backfires on YOU.

FYI guns come dirty from the MFG/Distributors pretty regularly. You have no idea if the FFL fired that weapon in a way you are describing.

Some peoples children... Why wring the FFL's balls over this? Mistakes happen, get him the shell casing and be done with it. Do we really need another FFL falling prey to the compliance Nazis?

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

Both of these!!

Right_to_arm_bears

OIF, OND, & OEF Vet.
    Nov 13, 2012
    MD
    Or the FFL can just call the MSP and say they lost the shell casing and you are not cooperating. Mistakes happen so do what needs to be done before it backfires on YOU.

FYI guns come dirty from the MFG/Distributors pretty regularly. You have no idea if the FFL fired that weapon in a way you are describing.

I have signed and dated paperwork saying that a shell casing has been sent to them MSP. I didn't sign anything saying that I had to maintain contact with the FFL indefinitely after everything was finalized.

Thanks for the tip but I inspect firearms by field stripping them(with the FFLs permission) before purchasing them.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Some peoples children... Why wring the FFL's balls over this? Mistakes happen, get him the shell casing and be done with it. Do we really need another FFL falling prey to the compliance Nazis?

Well, I took it on faith when the OP said the gun was used and enjoyed by the dealer before it was turned over to the OP. For THAT the dealer deserves some guff, because it wasn't his gun to shoot, other than to capture the required cartridge. If a dealer did that to my new gun, he should drop it down to a use gun price, because I am a stickler about such things. If I missed something, or it is not the case, then yes, work with the dealer to get this resolved.

ETA: Maybe I got up on the wrong side of the bed these last few days, but my attitude hinges in large part on whether the dealer did, or was out of line, shooting the gun before relinquishing custody of it to the OP. I'll shut up now pending an answer to this specific question.

Right_to_arm_bears

OIF, OND, & OEF Vet.
    Nov 13, 2012
    MD

I see this mentality a lot on here. Give all FFLs a free pass to be an ass because of MDs laws. We are still their customers and they depend on us to stay in business. If this guy was cool, I would help him out without thinking twice about it.

Here are the facts:

-The gun was spotless when I first looked at it
    -The gun was filthy when I picked it up(NOT just a single round was fired)
    -I have signed and dated paperwork saying that a shell casing was obtained and sent to MSP
    -He denies obtaining a shell casing (thus admitting to breaking the law by allowing it out the door)
    -He tells me to mail him a shell casing (which seems to clearly be against the law)

This goes beyond a simple mistake IMO.

Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods
    I have seen this stuff before. You transfer in a firearm and the FFL takes it out and plays with it. I am not going to name any names....

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I have seen this stuff before. You transfer in a firearm and the FFL takes it out and plays with it. I am not going to name any names....

If that happens, it's over the top. Drycleaners can't wear customers clothes they take in for cleaning, and parking garage attendants can't pull a Ferris Bueller's Day Off and take cars out for a spin either.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    No it wasn't used. Fresh from the factory with the tags still on it. I have the paperwork saying that a casing was obtained.

If you have paperwork to that effect ... its the FFL who has the problem. Like I keep saying ... they OWE YOU.

Time for the FFL to pay up for his screw up.

Americus

Feb 9, 2013
    Release the shell casing only after they refund the balance for the price of what the gun would cost used.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Well, I took it on faith when the OP said the gun was used and enjoyed by the dealer before it was turned over to the OP. For THAT the dealer deserves some guff, because it wasn't his gun to shoot, other than to capture the required cartridge. If a dealer did that to my new gun, he should drop it down to a use gun price, because I am a stickler about such things. If I missed something, or it is not the case, then yes, work with the dealer to get this resolved.

ETA: Maybe I got up on the wrong side of the bed these last few days, but my attitude hinges in large part on whether the dealer did, or was out of line, shooting the gun before relinquishing custody of it to the OP. I'll shut up now pending an answer to this specific question.

Sounds like a NON IP with an indoor range on premises. If it is who I suspect it is, I've seen a few customer's "NEW" guns that came outta' there and were sold for:sad20: "NEW" that had more wear on them than some of my LE trade-ins.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I'm glad you made this point, Lou. I've had first rate experiences with the IP's with whom I've dealt. My experiences with non-IP's not so much, and I stopped dealing with those folks a while ago. We Marylanders should do all we can to support you guys, who support us, in this not so free state.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I'm glad you made this point, Lou. I've had first rate experiences with the IP's with whom I've dealt. My experiences with non-IP's not so much, and I stopped dealing with those folks a while ago. We Marylanders should do all we can to support you guys, who support us, in this not so free state.

Thanks for your comment.:thumbsup:

BBossman1

Mar 11, 2009
    Kensington
    I see this mentality a lot on here. Give all FFLs a free pass to be an ass because of MDs laws. We are still their customers and they depend on us to stay in business. If this guy was cool, I would help him out without thinking twice about it.

Here are the facts:

-The gun was spotless when I first looked at it
    -The gun was filthy when I picked it up(NOT just a single round was fired)
    -I have signed and dated paperwork saying that a shell casing was obtained and sent to MSP
    -He denies obtaining a shell casing (thus admitting to breaking the law by allowing it out the door)
    -He tells me to mail him a shell casing (which seems to clearly be against the law)

This goes beyond a simple mistake IMO.

What do you want the FFL to do? So far you've said your only contact was one voice mail from the FFL. Have you given them your list of "demands"?

I see this mentality a lot on the internet as well. "I'm outraged and demand satisfaction so I'll post on the internet to build a consensus before handling my s**t".

Right or wrong work it out with FFL and be done with it.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    What do you want the FFL to do? So far you've said your only contact was one voice mail from the FFL. Have you given them your list of "demands"?

I see this mentality a lot on the internet as well. "I'm outraged and demand satisfaction so I'll post on the internet to build a consensus before handling my s**t".

EXACTLY!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

I agree, work it out ... but the buyer is in position to set the terms ... almost any terms

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I agree, work it out ... but the buyer is in position to set the terms ... almost any terms

Until the dealer gets fed up, and as was pointed out earlier, simply tells MSP there was an error and the buyer is refusing to supply the gun so a casing can be obtained.

Things get very ugly at that point, needlessly.

Perhaps I am wrong but it appears that the buyer has not even contacted the dealer with his concerns. Maybe if he did, the dealer would set things right on his own, maybe not, but for now, he is being bashed behind his back.

Mistakes happen. I have forgotten casings before, you transfer thousands of handguns and it will happen. I've asked buyers to drop back by so I can fire a casing, and I always do something to ease the pain in such cases, but this dealer has not even been given the chance to make it right.

My opinion is if the buyer is not going to give the dealer a chance to step up, he should not complain because the ball has been in his court for some time now.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Didn't the buyer say its significantly out of his way? The FFL needs to acknowledge this, rather than just demand

Wouldn't you make some kind of peace offering, rather than telling the owner he had to do something?

BBossman1

Mar 11, 2009
    Kensington

Why does everyone seem to turn to extortion? Why not act like gentlemen? The dealer hasn't even been contacted yet, but folks want to rake them over the coals. To what end?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yes its quite possible that the dealer is more than willing to make the OP whole and satisfied. OP should have returned the call and explained his position and listened to what the dealer says.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Why can't you tell us the name of the dealer? You can't play the whole I never got the message card after posting about it on a public forum

I agree with the people saying give the dealer a chance to make it right. For all you know you could call them and tell them how unsatisfied you are and they give you a couple boxes of free ammo or a gift certificate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom