• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thequietman

- - - - -
    Nov 26, 2011
    Harford County
    Hello all,

I am pretty new to air guns. I recently got a Daisy M853 (refurb) from the CMP. It shoots great, and the customer service was very good. My plan was to get the M853 as my target/plinking air rifle, and then get another at some point for plinking/hunting (more powerful). I figured that the second would be a break barrel in .22.

After a bit of research, I decided I wanted the second air rifle to also be quiet (integrally suppressed). My hope was to stay below $200. I was hoping now that I could get some comments or suggestions. Point out my flaws in my assessment or point out what I may be missing.

The first thing that caught my eye was the Stoeger X20S. It seemed to get pretty good reviews and was supposed to be pretty quiet but as I researched more I started leaning away from it. Gas-piston seems like a good way to go, and it seemed that I might end up replacing the trigger and scope on the X20S. If I was going to spend more after the sale, there might be others that could be a better deal without upgrades later.

Looking at gas-piston guns, the Hatsan 95 (Vortex) seems like a very good gun for the money. It seems to be very well built and has a much better trigger out of the box. My only issue is that its not as quiet (not suppressed). That lead me to the Hatsan 85 Sniper (Vortex). It seems like it should be a very nice rifle, but its a little above what I wanted to spend. In all likelihood, the extra money would probably be worth it, and I am seriously considering it. It also appears to be pretty new, and I couldn't find reviews with as good info as other rifles. There are reviews on the springer version, but not yet on the gas-piston version.

If I bump the price a little to get to the Hatsan 85 Sniper, that also puts me in the range of the Ruger Yukon and the Umarex Octane. As I understand it, both are made by Umarex. The Yukon looks nice, but the power seems to be overstated and the trigger only so/so. The Octane looks to be very powerful, but also very hold sensitive (the Yukon also seemed to get this complaint). Both cost less than the Hatsan 85 Sniper, but not too much.

The last contender is a bit of a ghost. There seems to be a lot of hype about the Benjamin Trail NP2, but they are not yet in stock most places and haven't been really independently reviewed yet as far as I can tell. It looks great on paper, but I would want to wait for some additional reviews. It is also the most expensive I am looking at (~$50 over what I was hoping to spend). If the hype is true, it might be worth it, but I would have to wait and see.

Anyone have experience with these guns? Are there some contenders I have missed (gas piston, good power, suppressed, .22 cal)? Is the gas piston worth dropping possible springer contenders?

Thanks for any input!

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I've been doing quite a bit of research on this as well. It would seem, from many discussions with Pyramyd Air (PA), that PCP is the only way to go if you want quite. Having said that, they won't talk about after market options for making the springers and gas-pistons quite 'cause of liability and warranty considerations. In addition, check out the rifles "reviews". The PA reviewers are normally spot-on.

In any case, look at the Hatson 95.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I went with the Nitro Venom in .22, buddy went with the Trail XL. I'm happy with my choice, the Trail is like a boat oar in my mind. I'm a big guy but it's just huge, plus I don't like the thumbhole stock, and my bud got a lemon it seems since mine shoots at least 100fps faster when tested side by side. Don't see why the Trail has to be so large. IIRC it does have sling swivels which is nice but that was the only gain in my mind.

Reviews for the Venom 4.5 stars on Pyramid are much higher than the Trail NP2 at 3 stars.

I have looked at PCP but just don't see me making that jump now. Lots of extra expense and gear that I'm not ready for yet. The PCP would get me some more power but noise also goes up (in my limited experience with an Air Force). If I were to go PCP I would have to have it at least as quite as the Venom and then I think I would step up to .25 to get the most thump out of it.

What ever you decide on in the end, get a sample pack of pellets so you can see what your rifle likes, mine likes Crow Magnums around 18grs. I have never had anything that shot the light alloy pellets well and I would stay away from them.

If I were to go the PCP route I think the Ben Marauder looks very good and is highly rated;
    http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Marauder_Air_Rifle/1774

Some don't like the scopes or triggers on the rifles in your price range. My trigger was fine after I adjusted it a little, the scope isn't the best but it is working for me fine thus far.

Sorry, don't know about the others you are looking into so can't comment there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom