• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I had some unexpected expenses come up today and I'm not sure I will be able to buy that 39A, however I think a tactical .22LR is going to be my next purchase. I like the SIG, the S&W has some good reviews, the Ruger 10/22 is a classic, and GSG makes some really sweet guns!

I'd really like a .22 AK-style if I'm going to buy an assault rifle type weapon, but the GSG just didn't feel that impressive for the price. The furniture had a good bit of play and felt very cheap. However, I've held several of their MP5-style guns and they seem to be much better quality, the only problem is now they are made by HK and I'm sure they are expensive.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I have had a 10/22, easy to pimp out and have a blast with as you get $$$ to play with but if I was gonna do another one, I would start with a billet receiver and go from there.

I have shot a GSG and they are fun, but no longer in production and down the road, parts may be hard to come by.

My current favorite plinker is the S&W M&P15-22. A little higher than your price range but an AR clone and an absolute blast to shoot. I expect many accessories and pimpables in the near future.

I also have a Marlin 39A from 1952. If I were doing anything that required extreme accuracy, this is the one I would take out of the safe. I can shoot the centers out of dimes at 50-75 yards all day long. If you can get one at that price, grab it asap! The others can be purchased later.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    The 10-22 is infinitely pimpable. There are stocks and shroud kits to turn them into most anything. This is mine with a Knoxx Axiom stock and a UTG Comm-Tac quadrail and a flash suppressor from keepshooting. I have since added 25rnd mags and foregrip bipod.

Attachments

• 10-22.jpg
      10-22.jpg
      95.2 KB · Views: 126

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    You can spend a lot of money pimping a 10/22 and turn it into a very accurate rifle. Out of the box it's performance is kinda so-so and rather low on either tacticool or classic appeal.

The 39A looks classic and feels substantial in your hands as it's not made of plastic and pot metal, but mine isn't very accurate. Disappointingly so, as it has difficulty maintaining 2" at 50yds. On the upside, it is tube fed and will work with .22 shorts, which makes it good for quiet pest control at close ranges.

The GSG5 is essentially an EBR "big boy toy". I SBR'd mine and usually shoot it suppressed which adds to the fun. Accuracy is not startling, but better than my 39A or an unpimped 10/22.

Of the three guns, I shoot my GSG more than any other. It's fun, I didn't spend a fortune on it (excluding SBR stamp I suppose), and it doesn't have to live up to any great expectations.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    For the money, get the 10/22 and do what you can to make it an accurate plinker.
    Then take $100 and get a Marlin 795 (on sale at Dick's) and make that your knock around gun.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Kman's mention of the 795 reminds me. The Remington 597 is a great weapon as well. Very accurate, low cost, but very little in the way of after market parts.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I had some unexpected expenses come up today and I'm not sure I will be able to buy that 39A, however I think a tactical .22LR is going to be my next purchase. I like the SIG, the S&W has some good reviews, the Ruger 10/22 is a classic, and GSG makes some really sweet guns!

I'd really like a .22 AK-style if I'm going to buy an assault rifle type weapon, but the GSG just didn't feel that impressive for the price. The furniture had a good bit of play and felt very cheap. However, I've held several of their MP5-style guns and they seem to be much better quality, the only problem is now they are made by HK and I'm sure they are expensive.

If you're interested in the sig, I have to say, I absolutely love mine. Nice heft to it, good trigger, and I've yet to find cheap bulk ammo that it won't cycle.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I just bought a 39A Century Limited a couple of weeks ago and it's killin' me that I haven't had the time to take it out shooting yet. The rifle amazes me...so much machining and such a classic design. I agree with the other posters who suggested buying that one now and waiting on the other current production guns.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom